584,866 active members*
5,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > hypertherm 1000 hand torch to machine torch

hypertherm 1000 hand torch to machine torch

On my hypertherm 1000 I currently have a hand torch on my plasma cnc and I'm wondering what advantages does a machine torch offer over a hand torch?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Heavy electrical shielding and water cooling for high duty cycle.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by duraflap View Post
    On my hypertherm 1000 I currently have a hand torch on my plasma cnc and I'm wondering what advantages does a machine torch offer over a hand torch?
    Thanks
    Dennis
    Very little. Machine torch uses the same consumables and same cooling technology (air) as the hand torch. Cutting specs are the same. It does give you better visibility, and more axis travel if your machine is limited because of the horz handle sticking out. It DOES allow you to use the integrated START (remote fire) inputs at the rear connector (or via J19) rather than the tap into the Torch Switch wires you have now.

Functionally there is no difference in the quality of cut or the type material you can cut with CNC. The cutting specs are different simply because the hand held cutting method of tilting the torch on pierce (to angle the blowback) allows for piercing thicker material. When used in a CNC application and vertical torch holder the hand torch numbers are the same as the mechanical.

You do lose the ability to quickly remove the hand torch from it's holder and use it to cut manually. If you have both obviously you can quickly swap out the two.

My advice to most shops is if you are ordering a new unit for CNC cutting only then order it with the mechanical torch. If you already have the hand torch or want a unit that you can use both automated or manually get it with the hand torch.

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

I was thinking 2000, thats water cooled.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Tom's got it right in regards to the difference between (Hypertherm) Powermax hand and machine torches. There are different shields for hand and machine torches as well. The hand shield is designed to be longer (for drag cutting to maintain the correct arc length) and has castellations (slots) in the front that allow for gas to escape when dragging directly on the plate. The machine shieled is shorter for use with automatic height control systems, and has a smooth machined face for less spatter buildup. You can use either shield design on either torch, depending on whether you need to drag cut or cut with a standoff.

The machine torch is typically more expensive than a hand torch.....which does not seem to make sense. In reality, it is produced in much smaller quantities as compared the hand torches (Hypertherm sold 55,000 Powermax600's, about 3500 of them had machine torches!) so manufacturing cost is much higher. We are working hard to introduce macine torches in the future that are more in line price wise with the hand torches.....due to the great amount of feedback from these forums.

Jim Colt