585,970 active members*
4,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Space needed behind TM-1 needed?

Space needed behind TM-1 needed?

Just closed the deal on a used TM-1. (our first CNC) We have a small shop and every inch counts. How much space is needed behind the mill? I see on the current diagrams on the HAAS site an access door is back there. How often does this need accessed? I can understand if it needed service. Thinking we could pull it out if needed (fork lift on site) for service then put it back it position. It would be best if we could put it up against a wall. Or should it be angled into a corner allowing access to the back? Thoughts?

Thank you,

Mark

If you have a forklift, or even a pallet jack, just put it against the wall and pull it out when you need to get into the cabinet. Once the machines wired and running you don't need to get at it very often.

For heavy machines which cannot be easily moved it is possible to get by with only two feet of clearance because it is possible to pull the hinge pins out and take the door off to get full access. A ground wire has to be removed and the cooling fan unplugged to get the door completely away.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I have 16" behind mine and that's just enough to get the door open for service.
    I don't know if you're going to want to move it much once it's leveled in.
    I had a VF-3 that I put in a corner of the shop for the same reason.

Put the machine with its back to a walkway or up against a rollup doorway if necessary. That way the space isn't wasted. In the case of the rollup door, you simply open the door to have rear access and you've wasted zero space.
    Greg

I had similar shop space issues when I got my TM-1. Once the install/set up guy was finished checking things in the cabinet we rolled it about 14" from a wall and set it down and leveled it up. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I have not had to get into the cabinet yet. If I do have to at some point it is really easy to move around with a pallet jack. Of course if moved it would need to be releveled but I check the level one every 6 months anyway. Bottom line is I don't regret putting mine up against a wall.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

It's not a TM-1 so I'm unsure of the breaker location on yours but, on our VF-2ss, the coolant breaker pops about once every week. It has since we got it. It would sure be a pain if you had to pull it out, reset the breaker, put it back, then relevel it that often.

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    It's not a TM-1 so I'm unsure of the breaker location on yours but, on our VF-2ss, the coolant breaker pops about once every week. It has since we got it. It would sure be a pain if you had to pull it out, reset the breaker, put it back, then relevel it that often.
    Sounds like you need to replace the breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by behindpropeller View Post
    Sounds like you need to replace the breaker.
    Yup.

Contact your dealer or Haas in Oxnard. They changed the motor on the coolant pump a while back and the new motor seems to have a higher starting current and pops breakers frequently. The fix is a larger capacity breaker. We went through the hassle of constantly resetting the breaker until I saw a service notice one day down at our Haas dealer that mentioned the larger breaker.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Excellent! Thanks guys. I'll check on a larger breaker right away.

Chris

Check your building codes, in our state the machines have to be 36" from the wall. I got dinged for having a punchpress 32" from the wall.

Lowell