585,949 active members*
4,415 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Chinese conversion

I have a old DoAll mill. It's a Bridgeport clone. So close that the that only the keys in the shafts and the bolts that hold it together are metric instead standard. I bought a CNC "kit" from Wantai Motor on ebay. The tech support is, well lacking at best. So I've come here begging for help. I am using Mach3 along with BobCad. But we're not there yet. Everything is mechanically correct (no binding or heavy loads). I can make things move but that's where it starts to go wrong. I have 1300 oz NEMA 34 motors on the X, Y and A. And a 350 oz NEMA 23 on the Z. The X and Y are direct on the end of the shaft. A is direct on the Shaft of a round table. Z is reduced about 2:1. through a chain system. Here's where I'm at. I've tried tuning the motors in Mach3 and at best I've got 70 rpm from the motor itself. I got a cheap laser tach from Harbor Freight. I have a 24vdc power supply to the drivers and a 5vdc to the breakout board. The 34 drivers are 24-80vdc the 23 is 24-50. Can I or should I get a bigger power supply? Will that speed things up. I'm not necessarily looking for speed, I just know that this isn't right. I should perform better than this.
    Nothing is impossible. It's just a question of practicality.

It would help if you posted a link but I think I found the seller and the kit.

I have that same driver sitting next to me but I have only done a little testing with it.

With high inductance steppers like the one's you have it is crazy to use a 24V supply. I have no idea why they would even offer a 24V power supply with those steppers.

I would get a 75V power supply fast. The drivers are good for 80V and the steppers would be good for 100V if you had it.

The steppers are 3A per phase but a 6A or 8A stepper would have been a better choise.

The simple way to look at it is to look at just the power.

Watts = Amps X voltage.

Your driver can give 80V at 8A so about 640 watts but you steppers are 3A so you will only get about 225 watts with a 75 volt supply or about 72 watts with a 24V supply.

My router table has more power than you system at 24V.

I would think you will triple your stepper speed.

Thanks. I had someone else give me similar advice. I'm bidding on a power supply now. I should have some results in a few days. I'll share my new found knowledge here for the benefit of anyone else trying to cut their teeth.

I cant believe you're driving a bridgeport with it, I bought this kit with an RF45 in mind.
    Post a few pics please? The breakout board is a rip off from Keling, wires the same. The driver PDF is easy enough to find with google advanced search, let me know if you cant find it.

up an running

I found a 78 volt power supply on ebay. It made ALL the difference. I can run the X and Y up to about 35 ipm. Even that's a little more than the acme screws want. They chatter sometimes. So I slowed them all down to 20 to 25 ipm. Even that seems a tad fast sometimes. I tuned them though the wizard under settings. Just above the reset button. Auto tune, best thing since sliced bread. Now that Mach3 and the hardware are getting along. I ran the circle wizard and the pocket wizard in space (the knee way down ). All seems well at this point. I think I need a to do something different with the Z drive. Either a different ratio or a bigger stepper. I tried to bore a hole with the jog, maybe a bad idea I don't really know. I set Mach3 to jog by step and set the step to 0.001. You can't feel tool pressure from the jog button so I may have been crowding it too much, but I could here the stpper miss a step every now and then. I'll take some pics and post 'em for you guys. Any tips tricks or comments are more than welcome.

So much for the easy part.

Here's a few quick and dirty. Sorry about the mess but I built it to use not to look at. The hand wheel is the original with a mod to the handle it self. Just push the button on the end and pull it out. I considered doing something similar for the Z but I'm shying away from that. I have a drill press. After I figured out Mach3 is geared for a touch screen I had to have one. Now let's get to the meat and potatoes and make something. I'm going to try a sproket. I use them on the hay elevators I build. Pretty low tech but vital nonetheless. I'll keep you posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-008S.JPG   MVC-009S.JPG   MVC-010S.JPG   MVC-011S.JPG  

MVC-014S.JPG   MVC-016S.JPG