585,729 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Birch plywood. Feedrate, step depth and rpm?

Question Birch plywood. Feedrate, step depth and rpm?

Hello!

I'm new to hobby cnc'ing. The question is about optimal feedrate, step depth and rpm for cutting out details from plywood.

Situation:
    Birch plywood 18mm thick (~700kg/m3)
    Kess 1050 FME 10000..32000 RPM
    Cutter- cutter d=3mm, shank d=3mm, cutlength=20mm, overall length=38, no. of flutes=3, VHM, upward chip ejection (a "noname" from ebay)
    Max speed for machine (that stepper motors feel comfortable ) as I have set it up in Mach3 is 50mm/sec.

The job consists of cutouts, there are only few small pockets, 5mm in depth.

What would be Your suggestions on those parameters? Primary I don't search for "fastest" approach, but the most "correct" one. The thing that worries me is the "composite" nature of plywood (this one is bonded with a phenol resin adhesive (EN 314 / 3 rd class; BS 1203 / H4 (previously WBP); DIN 68705 Part 3 / type BFU 100)).

Thank You so much in advance!

What is the chip load of the bit? Onsrud shows anything from .003 to 0.013 for their 1/8 bits in laminated ply.

Once you know that, it's easy math.

any type of ply I would use a compression cutter Onsrud does sell a bit thats an 1/8" cutter 60-102 were you planing on cutting in one pass or several. 18mm ply with a 1/8 cutter make sure you buy a handful i'm sure you will break a few. i would try cutting about 85 IPM, 18,000 rpm and 3 passes of 1/4" good luck cutting that.

Thanks for pointing in chipload direction!
    That is a value I don't know.
    ..a "noname" from ebay..
    As I understand, not knowing this parameter makes the whole calculation pointless. I googled up some manufacturer sites, and from what I saw- lets consider chip load 0.006" = 0.1524 mm

feedrate = RPM * No. of flutes * chipload
    feedrate = RPM * 3 * 0.1524
    feedrate = RPM * 0.4572
    feedrate=0..3000mm/min
    RPM=10000..32000

When setting maximum feedrate and minimum RPM the chipload still isn't reached, is it?
    chipload=feedratemax/(rpmmin*flutes)=3000/(10000*3)=0.1

In how many steps do I have to cut those 18mm- where does step depth go in this formula? Or do I have a fundamental misunderstanding here?

at your max speed of 3m/min, Id guess to make 6 passes, 3mm deep at 18000-20000 rpm. If it cuts good, increase the depth of cut 1mm at a time.

And the bits will probably get dull very quickly.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Your answers are starting to come faster than I can process them.
    85 IPM, 18,000 rpm and 3 passes of 1/4" good luck cutting that
    I just cannot force me thinking in imperial units
    So 2159 mm/min, 18k RPM and 3x6mm passes.
    Sounds great and those are +/- the speeds I'm using now to do testcutting. But in context of tazzydean post- where does the chipload comes in, meaning, the parameters You gave seems not to take advantage of the near-maximum stress the machine can take. Or in real life situations the formula is for... And where did the 3x6mm came from? Experience, experience, experience?
    6 passes, 3mm deep at 18000-20000 rpm
    Sounds safe.

I do know that 3mm cutter in 18mm thick plywood does sound "breaking those cutters". Anyways, that is what I have now, a min of 3mm collet; no cutter that has 3mm shank diameter, a smaller cutter diameter AND cutter part length >18mm. I need those cuts as thin as possible/ balanced with not breaking them in every turn, so right now I draw all details taking 3mm cutwidth in mind.

experience experience experience lol and alot of oops well b4 I ever heard of a forum. The chipload chart for me is just a mild referance I seem to always run at 18,000 rpm. so use that as a starting point, the way I see it the scale runs like this..... fine powder like dust ( too slow of feed rate) broken bit ( way too fast of feed rate ) anywhere in between is what your looking for. BTW what kind of parts are you cutting out of 18mm ply??

The parts are for a chair that I design- doing a 1:1 prototype as I need also to do a real scale test (tension, compression, bending, shear stress... dipl.arch. talking here ) I'm trying to go with 18mm instead of 21. The urge for searching theoretical max speed is simple- if the design is a success I will have to produce some for exhibit.
    Thanks for answers, I will turn to experimentation now. But if anyone has something to add, please!