585,760 active members*
3,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Spectralight vs. Pro Light Light Machines

Spectralight vs. Pro Light Light Machines

Is it correct to say that the Spectralight line is based on Sherline components and that the ProLight line is built with bigger/stronger components like real ball screws?
    I have a chance to bid on both, but can't get my hands on them before the auction. I'm looking to upgrade a benchtop to newer drivers/software and am mostly concerned with the basic components of the machine. Built my own router, and ready to retrofit a benchtop lathe. The Prolight seems like the stronger more capable machine.

I can't say I know anything about the Spectralight mills ,but the Prolight is built like a tank for a benchtop machine. Yes to ball screws and mine weighs in at about 450 pounds .

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
    I can't say I know anything about the Spectralight mills ,but the Prolight is built like a tank for a benchtop machine. Yes to ball screws and mine weighs in at about 450 pounds .
    450 lb's.....Yikes ! What model do you own ?

It's a Prolight 2500, which is the same as a Prolight 2000 but with a 42K RPM spindle vs a 5K or 10K.

The 3000 lathe is 245 LB's
    Looks like that extra axis adds quite a few lb's, and no doubt your killer spindle.

Did you retrofit yours or is it "old school" ?

The one I'm considering will be a rebuild to parallel PC/Mach3.

No, it's still old school. I'm having a few issues with it, but I'm also expecting another computer here soon to try to correct the problems with Windows 98 and a fresh software install. Nothing wrong with your approch either

The spectraLIGHT series is more for the educational market and shouldn't be expected to be able to hold it's own vs a proLIGHT at all!

Go for the proLIGHT if you still can.

Yep, been doing some homework and the ProLight is considerbly more industrial strength. Will let you know how it goes later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Yep, been doing some homework and the ProLight is considerbly more industrial strength. Will let you know how it goes later this week.
    Oh I know for a fact that it is!

Obviously, if you retrofit this machine the repeatability, resolution and many of the control specifications change.

But good document that has a lot of solid specs on its capabilities.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Inteletek, thanks for the spec sheet. Based on your handle, I suspsect you do know a thing or two about these machines.

We will see what happens today...

Light Machines Corp SpectraLIGHT

I know the SpectraLIGHT machine your thinking bout .
    Its a Sherline or Taig machine in a plastic box it looks like.
    Its not that bad of a machine if it fits what you need.
    ITS most defiantly worth the money there asking for it.
    If your looking to make mountain bike parts , scooter parts rc parts even small car parts . Ide say go for it.
    The machines cnc setup is worth the $ .
    You defiantly wont be able to make anything that's bigger than your hand with the machine. It looks like a nice turn ( minus controller) key cnc machine though .
    Its pretty hard to compare the 2 machines your asking bout though that would be like saying should I buy a full cnc BF16 or a Bridgeport. It depends on you and what you need it for and if you have the room.
    Good luck what ever your decision is.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Inteletek, thanks for the spec sheet. Based on your handle, I suspsect you do know a thing or two about these machines.

We will see what happens today...
    A thing or two would be an accurate statement!

I'm here to learn a thing or two about what owners have been doing for retrofits myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    I know the SpectraLIGHT machine your thinking bout .
    Its a Sherline or Taig machine in a plastic box it looks like.
    Its not that bad of a machine if it fits what you need.
    ITS most defiantly worth the money there asking for it.
    If your looking to make mountain bike parts , scooter parts rc parts even small car parts . Ide say go for it.
    The machines cnc setup is worth the $ .
    You defiantly wont be able to make anything that's bigger than your hand with the machine. It looks like a nice turn ( minus controller) key cnc machine though .
    Its pretty hard to compare the 2 machines your asking bout though that would be like saying should I buy a full cnc BF16 or a Bridgeport. It depends on you and what you need it for and if you have the room.
    Good luck what ever your decision is.

Thanks for the guidance. The machines I'm loolking at are on a school equipment auction site. There are two spectralight (actualy "Rodgers" ??) machines in a single lot, and two ProLight 3000's on separate lots. I would be turning 1.5 dia acrylic rods into duck call barrels.

OK, I picked up the Spectralight machines.
    The ProLights will be up in a few more hours but I'm not going to bid on them.

Here are the Sherlines.
    https://www.lemonsauctioneers.com/it...tem=0000032752
    I already own a manual Sherline. I'll be selling one of these CNC versions shortly.

Thanks for all the help and guidance. I just could not justify the ProLights being basicaly a hobbiest.

Nice deal ,
    Now you just need some software. Do you have some?

Nice deal ,
    Now you just need some software. Do you have some?
    I got nothing for these guys.
    If all I need is a card and some software I may consider that route, but at this point I don't really know.
    I may just retrofit one to Mach (I already have everything I need if they are NEMA 23) and sell the other as it is. Or possinbly trade one for what ever the other needs ?

I'll know more after I get my hands on them (Friday PM). Hopefuly I can figure out what additional hardware they need (controler box ?, ISA cards ?, ??) and move forward from there.

Thanks for the guidance.
    RE

Your further in the game them me.
    Im still building and learning for my first CNC set up. But Im pretty sure you can use Mach3.
    You need your boards that controller your motors then from there you need the board that connects the motors to the serial port , printer port and a power supply . You need to know the specs on the motor drivers and the motors before you can buy the power supply I believe.
    You will figure it out im sure .
    Anthony

Your further in the game them me.
    Im still building and learning for my first CNC set up. But Im pretty sure you can use Mach3.
    You need your boards that controller your motors then from there you need the board that connects the motors to the serial port , printer port and a power supply . You need to know the specs on the motor drivers and the motors before you can buy the power supply I believe.
    You will figure it out im sure .
    Anthony
    I have a Rockcliff 4 axis driver, 24v power supply and pair of 240 oz steppers waiting on a frame. Same stuff I used to build my router. Depending on what kind of steppers on are on them now, I may be able to reuse them. I can run unipolar(wired bipolar) or bipolar direct and up to a 4 amp stepper, that's pretty big for a small lathe like these so I'm probably going to be OK amp wise. Wish me luck !

Just checked and the two ProLight 3000s went for $575 and $975 to the same bidder. I never had a chance. Says a lot about the machines though. I'm impressed.