585,975 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Mill motion problem

Hi. I'm running a script to make a thread by helical interpolation (so it is a bit taxing to the X and Y motors I guess?), and each time all 3 motors seize up part-way and start spazzing out (they don't seem to undergo any net movement, but they start randomly pulsing). I've tried this 3 times and each time this happens about halfway through the script.

So here's what I'm running/the list of candidates for what's messing up:
    Mill: X3 with CNCFusion CNC conversion
    Steppers: Keling NEMA23 on each axis (KL23H286-20-8B)
    Power Supply: Keling KL-320-36 36V/8.8A
    Motor control: Geckodrive G540
    Software: Mach3 on WindowsXP

At first I thought one of the motors might be overheating because they were getting pretty hot, but after clamping some heatsinking to them I still had the same problem.

All 3 motors seem to lock up simultaneously. Even when I stop the program or try MDI control they don't respond and just keep spazzing. After a few tens of seconds of this the Gecko G540 finally throws a fault and the motors stop.

Given that all motors seize, I'm guessing the problem is the Gecko G540?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Anyone have any recommendations/diagnostics/advice? Thank you for your help!

I wonder if the load for the 3 combined steppers is more than the PS can put out? I cant imagine the helical interpolation being that much more taxing than just threading.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I wonder if the load for the 3 combined steppers is more than the PS can put out? I cant imagine the helical interpolation being that much more taxing than just threading.
    Hm, I made sure to get a PSU that's overkill for what I'm using it for so unless its dying I don't think that's it (would that cause these symptoms with all 3 motors going spastic like this?). This isn't the first time I've run such a routine... just the first time I've had problems :-/

I typed first and thought more later. It probably wouldnt cause the same issues. I was just guessing out loud. I would think 1 driver would get a weak signal not all 3. I have all kinds of problems on a regular basis. I wish something would happen consistently, then maybe I could figure out what I am doing wrong!