585,602 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion
Page 8 of 11 678910

Re: King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

The Post processor in Fusion 360 CAM generates Gcode that is ready to use when loaded into Mach3. Minor editing maybe required to change fixtures.

This is a video showing the 3 Axis of my mill dancing along the Tool Path of the Bridgeport Crank Adaptor. Spindle is off and only junk riding on the table.

First Chips

Congratulations. That is a milestone.
    Mark
    Regards,
    Mark

I have had a test cut of the other end of the Crank adaptor. Happy with the result. Probably not much use finishing this in plastic so I will plan a Steel version when I get some new end mills and collet tool holders to build up a tool library.

Hi John,

Looking good.

I've been building up a library of tooling. I've got 6x ER40 collet chucks set up with different tools, a shell mill holder a boring head and a drill chuck. I'm thinking I'll look for a couple of ER25 collet chucks and a set of collets to suit. Running a 4mm end mill in an ER40 collet chuck makes it hard to see what you are doing as the head of the chuck is pretty large.

I've bought a bunch of solid carbide end mills to replace my old tool steel ones. I've broken a few of the old ones as I work out speeds and feeds.

Still having a lot of fun messing round with it and learning to drive it.

Cheers

Mike

I have ordered some NT30 ER25 collect tool holders, some NT30 ER32 collect tool holders, some flat end mills, some round end mills and some corner radius end mills.

I already have a set of ER25 collets and ER32 collets and a tool holder for each, a NT30 drill chuck, a 65mm face mill, and a 65mm boring head with a NT30 arbour.

My tool library will be a lot more manageable with the new additions.

A hefty freight component and Paypal fee and a miserable exchange rate on Friday has bumped the total to around AU$900.

Hope it arrives in a reasonable time and the quality is OK.

Wow! Nice purchase! Pricing directly from China is deffinately the way to go. Not much you can do about the exchange rate but the quoted price for the freight isn't so bad considering how much that parcel is going to weigh. I like to think of the paypal fee as an international insurance policy on your $900 purchase. If things go bad you can accsess the paypal buyers protection scheme. Nice work I must say. What has been your experience with the seller do far?

Well done
    Chich

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

While I wait for some new tools, I have been experimenting with a Huanyang VFD with a USB to RS485 interface and a Mach3 plugin. It all seems to work on the bench so I should be able to automatically take advantage of the recommended tool speeds stored in the library with each tool.

Good luck with that VFD. They are cheap and work for a while. Mine, along with many others according to Google, has failed after a couple of years on the shelf. It comes on until you apply the load, then it shuts down.

Very nice - must be very pleasing to get to this stage (3D cutting). Big jealousy here.

I'm also very pleased with Fusion 360, not least the wide range of extensions such as CAM, simulation etc. As new features are being developed and go live, it becomes more and more capable. What strategy did you use for the crank adaptor? Doesn't look like adaptive clearing?

You can also use BT30 / ISO30 tooling if you have a longer drawbar (or a removable spacer) - may give you more choice of supplier etc. Same taper etc, just no parallel shank.

Somebody mentioned feeds and speeds. Have you seen FSwizard? The online version is free and has full range of materials. The free iOS / Android versions have a limited set of (3) materials unless you want to pay. Also has threading info etc.

Chich,

I have had no prior experience with this supplier so can only hope things go well. Jack Zhao was the contact there and he replied promptly to request for quote and freight options and payment options. Around 6 emails from him in the week before I ordered. His company has been trading on Ailibaba for over 10 years. I will post some pictures if/when my parcel arrives.

Ron,

I have read a lot of forum posts on Huanyang VFD's. I have purchased a 4kW or 5hp 3 phase to 3 phase unit for my 3hp 415V 4pole 1440rpm spindle motor.
    Huanyang have been selling VFD's around the world for over 5 years and they have had more than their share of negative reviews. Some early versions were supplied without RS-485 coms chips. I would hope that the quality has improved over time and my first impression of mine is that it seems reasonably well assembled in a cheap looking casing. The main switching is done via 6x Fairchild FGA25N120ANTD 1200 V, 25 A NPT Trench IGBT and the microcontroller is a reputable Japanese brand. Seems to me that a lot of punters on the forums should not be let loose with high voltage given their silly questions, they would be a danger to themselves and their equipment.
    Mine seems to be working fine so far in testing. Maybe time to give Huanyang a break and beware of the cheaper clones that try to copy what I have decided is a reasonable product for the price.

John

My tooling has arrived in Adelaide from China while I am in Melbourne so I got some pictures sent to me to check its all there. Looks OK but it is not the same as a touch and feel and a spin in the machine. The Supplier has followed through and sent via TNT which took about a week. He should get some repeat business if the quality is good.

Nice score. My last lot of R8 tool holders came in those neat grey plastic cases too.

I've started collecting a fer ER25 collet chucks lately and a set of ER25 collets. The smaller chuck makes it a bit easier to see what's going on at the cut.

I've also been collecting a variety of carbide tooling.

The cutters with the higher helix are specific for aluminum.

The darker ones are the same TiAlN coating as yours. Supposed to be better for harder materials.

Cheers

mike

Back in Adelaide today and was keen to take a close look and feel of my new tools.

Selected a NT30 ER32 Collet Chuck randomly and a 12mm End Mill fitted to an existing collet and gave it a spin. Wow!

Unless I have been real lucky and offset each others inaccuracies, these tools seem really good. They certainly look the part with impeccable finish.

I have mounted my Huanyang VFD Inverter on the back side of the switch box enclosure so there was minimal external wiring required. Just a RS-485 link to the USB adaptor on the back of the laptop and a Mach3 plugin to configure. Planning on building a digital Tachometer for the front of the machine to confirm the actual spindle speed, so no real need to see the display on the VFD while the machine is running.

I want to keep my tool library in a storage draw that protects it from dust and moisture but still allows easy access and organisation.
    The shanks of the tool holders will hang lower than the draw base so clearance in the draw top below is required.

Christmas in July

Well it is nearly July

My tool storage draw has a new front that is taller and the draw below has a front that is modified so that the tool holder shanks don't clash.

Very nice. Well done.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the information on the cnc z axis project. My brother has a similar mill and we have been struggling with how to implement the Z axis portion. Sometimes it is hard to know if it is better to try to add cnc to an old tool or just start from scratch.

New Video with Spindle speed and Motion control both playing well together.

Page 8 of 11 678910