584,830 active members*
5,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion
Page 10 of 11 891011

Re: King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

My wife and I have returned to South Australia to retire so looking at machine tooling while walking around farmers markets makes the outing bearable, especially when I'm lucky to find something of interest. Today I found a guy selling a collection of new HSS screwed shank milling cutters and at another stall I purchased a spanner. One wonders what he paid for the tray of 50+ new slot mills and end mills when he is selling them for $4 each?

The Slot mills are Dormer, Nachi, Sutton and P&N 2 x 8.0, 1/4", 1/16"

The End mill is Sutton 1/8" 4 flute in wax

A Dormer HSS Centre drill BS4 5/16"

The single ended 32mm Spanner is marked DIN894 with milled jaw and maybe German origin. Cost $3

In a few years time, some of this stuff will be back on sale again, cheap, when my number is up.

That spanner looks like one you'd undo a chuck with...
    Great buys...!

I have been watching youtube videos about using treadmill motors on small lathes, drill presses, belt sanders and bandsaws. I have sourced a few treadmills from hard rubbish and intend to have a go myself, starting with a drill press conversion.

Making metal chips for the first time with 3 Axis operational. I have only cut plastic until now and it is time to test with cast iron. Just simple G-Code entered directly via the MDI on Mach3. Will get Fusion 360 fired up again when I can get my head around it. Comment, Like the video and subscribe to my Youtube channel if you have too much time on your hands. I will always respond to feedback here or via Youtube.
    John

Faced the top of the drill press casting and run a 10mm ball end mill around the boss to get a 5mm fillet. Mounted the casting inverted on a pair of parallels and repeated the process on the bottom truing up both the quill and column bosses and filleting.

Pictures of the bottom of the casting showing the Quill and Column bosses cleaned up.

I have been restoring a Dawn 5SP Vise that has had a rough life on a Welding Bench

https://youtu.be/iywBoE95LdI

This steel cube has been drawn in Fusion 360 CAD and tool paths generated in CAM to run with the Mach3 that controls my CNC conversion to my Bridgeport clone mill. First time milling serious steel. All six plates fitted together perfectly straight from the mill. A very pleasing result that confirmed the accuracy of the X and Y axis after reasonably heavy cutting. A brief clip shows the Z axis conversion in a peck drilling sequence.

Part 3 of my Mill Angle Plate Project involves TIG welding. I worked out how to use a Slope Mode Sequence that improved as I experimented on day1 of my TIG experience. Please make suggestions as to how I can improve.

Note: My videos show as only black windows when I use Windows Explorer as my browser. They display correctly when I use Chrome. Why?

My mild steel cube is 196 x 196 x 196 with a wall thickness of 12 mm. The TIG welds have been ground and polished flush with the plate surface. Due to the construction, each surface is very close to perpendicular to adjacent surfaces. Welding has not noticeably distorted the plates or their alignment. I expect that 0.5 mm or 20 thou faced off each surface will flatten and square the surfaces to an accuracy suitable for the Angle Plates purposed. After facing, the cube will be cut diagonally to form 2 triangulated "wheel chocks" as someone suggested.

Part 4 of my mill angle plate construction. All sides of the cube are face milled square and perpendicular. I have decided to use a slitting saw to halve the cube on a 30/60 degree cut to make the 2 identical triangulated angle plates, coming in Part 5.

Fusion 360 CAD model showing Servo Motor Spindle mount and Mill Tee slot alignment key slot to be machined in half the Cube after Slit Sawing.

Finished up the restoration of my Dawn 5SP Vise. Got the paint colour completely wrong but otherwise the new soft jaws and the jaw alignment works great. I made a transfer punch from a 5/16 UNC bolt to mark the position of the tapped holes on the back of the new Aluminium soft jaws. It has a 4mm hex milled to fit a 4mm socket that fits down a blind 5/16 tapped hole. A hexagon ER32 collet holder held the bolt in the 3 Jaw chuck on the lathe and for milling the flats.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6228 (1024x768).jpg  

I have purchased a Hercus No.1 Tool and Cutter Grinder from a bloke in Wodonga Victoria. Getting it back to Adelaide was a logistical challenge 900km away. Was driving through Albury/Wodonga on route to Melbourne and saw it on Facebook Market Place and went to have a look. Hired a trailer in Melbourne, loaded up 350kg machine in Wodonga and set sail for Adelaide via Echuca. So 2100km later I returned the trailer. Two days later we had a leisurely drive back home to Adelaide again. The video below is just a first inspection and there is a few accessories missing. No Tail Stock, magnetic base, tools or grinding wheel selection. Needs a good clean up and restoration. Please comment if you are familiar with similar machines.

My Mill Angle Plates now have a keyway milled in the bases to align with my mill bed.

An Adaptive Clearing Tool Path was generated in Fusion 360 with a helical ramp down into the keyway pocket. The pocket was then contour finished to 15.875mm or 5/8" to match my Tee Slots.

I use my Knee in conjunction with my Z-axis controlled Quill to set depth of cuts. Always too conservative but tool paths can be tested to try to avert disasters.

Been thinking that ABOM79 could stack up 12 8x8x1/2" plates in his G&E Shaper and make 2 Cubes, TIG weld, face them, split them, slot them and end up with 4 angle plates. I would like to watch that. Would you? The paint will dry eventually.

My mill angle plates can be used as a Headstock and Tailstock. Or just some heavy bookends.

Been out today and came across some more bits for my Mill.

Used one of my fabricated Mill Angle Plates to set up a Suzuki Quadrunner Cylinder head that had 2 sheared off bolts that had attached the chain tensioner. Set with the keyway on the mill table, the vertical face was square and true leaving the cylinder head only needing to be aligned horizontally.

The broken bolts were M6 cap head screws that had seized in the aluminium head and I suspect the hex socket rounded during an attempt to disassemble. The rounded hex hole then used as a drill guide to remove the head of the screw and drill down into the threaded remains perhaps trying to create an impression for a screw extractor. Looks like an EasyOut may have been used unsuccessfully with the aluminium damaged around one of the screws. The previous owned had performed this procedure whilst the engine was still in the Quad bike.

The following video shows how the broken screws were removed. Getter Out as Bruce W would say.

I need to replace a Universal Joint on a drive shaft from a Quad Bike ATV. The original part has the U Joint staked in and Suzuki expect you to buy the whole thing. That would be fine if they were cheap and available. The are not available and were never cheap. The actual U joint is available but the old damaged one is difficult to remove from the yokes due the 8 staking dimples preventing the removal of the caps. I have a go reducing the staking dimples in the mill.

Off topic for a moment. Some Banggood 25x50x75mm 123 blocks arrived yesterday, delivered in 2 weeks, total $35 . Seem OK, haven't got the micrometers out to measure but they seem parallel to each other with the finger tip test. Nice ground surfaces but chanfers a bit uneven, looks like they have just been hit on a belt sander. Good for the Mill maybe not the tool room.

Page 10 of 11 891011