584,808 active members*
5,235 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

that didnt work.

i would really like to hear from ppl about the things in ic that didnt work.
    as an example (i used cast iron cylinder liner and case iron ring which resulted in massive wear and complete failure). i think this kind of thing would be helpful to everyone and save fellow ic ppl alot of frustration.

Your kidding, right?
    I think we should focus on what works.
    Automotive engines have used cast iron rings with cast iron blocks for over a hundred years. Perhaps the finish on the cylinder was not right, was it honed?

I tried the rhythm method with a backpacker once and that didn't work!

Ok Hiredgun, I will try and give real input.
    That didn't work;
    a/ to much time consuming cad detail.
    b/ changing direction midstream on design.
    c/ under equipped tooling limiting the scope of capability.
    d/ time, if you have few debts and household chores then you're set.
    e/ patience, the dirt bike and the keg with the guys beckons again.

Really, if you have a small mortgage and all your tooling set up there should really be no excuses.
    In Australia we have overpriced property and rent bidding wars, lots of young people are sleeping on couches and floors.
    To have a drill mill and hobby lathe is fast becoming a distant possibility, sleeping in car does not have the room for a tooling.
    So dreams remain just that.
    Personally, I missed the boom, but our bust is coming soon, i saw what happened in the States and I feel for you guys.
    So these are trying times, miniature IC is really a luxury for the senses, an indulgence.
    If you are in a warm and safe place making metal chips of your own design you should think yourself blessed and very fortunate.

my plan for this thread was to educate myself and other ppl about design and material issues that caused failures. It would be a good thing so other ppl could learn from it to save themselves alot of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post
    Ok Hiredgun, I will try and give real input.
    That didn't work;
    a/ to much time consuming cad detail.
    b/ changing direction midstream on design.
    c/ under equipped tooling limiting the scope of capability.
    d/ time, if you have few debts and household chores then you're set.
    e/ patience, the dirt bike and the keg with the guys beckons again.

Really, if you have a small mortgage and all your tooling set up there should really be no excuses.
    In Australia we have overpriced property and rent bidding wars, lots of young people are sleeping on couches and floors.
    To have a drill mill and hobby lathe is fast becoming a distant possibility, sleeping in car does not have the room for a tooling.
    So dreams remain just that.
    Personally, I missed the boom, but our bust is coming soon, i saw what happened in the States and I feel for you guys.
    So these are trying times, miniature IC is really a luxury for the senses, an indulgence.
    If you are in a warm and safe place making metal chips of your own design you should think yourself blessed and very fortunate.
    scary.... tis why my first projects, once ive broken that "tooling" issue, is some generators etc... i got it lucky. 28, decent job, if still pretty badly paid, live at home with minimal rent, no license currently so wow! im saving the dollars! most of my money currently is going on machinery.... so i save some, lose some...

you also failed to mention "organisation and cleanliness"

containers make nice workshops cus trucks can pick em up

back onto the topic...theres nothing to say!

ok, um... using a HSS tool in a standard toolpost when cutting a thread.
    check fit with part im matching thread to. over do it and its now stuck on.

hit item with hammer to loosen and lose concentricity.

this does not work.

then accidently hit HSS tool against item, chipping cutting edge... (32TPI! damn! gotta be sharp!) remove HSS tool. sharpen. realise ive lost the um...timing? indexing? what would you call that?

so here we are back at "inadequate tooling" (wedge) . a nice holder for 1/8 HSS stock would be uber handy

the finishing cut! noooo!!!!! im dooooooomed! (it had been a particularly traumatic week)

also what doesnt work...attempting to take another cut at this point.

so what did i do? i played it smart! went n paid my friend a visit and borrowed one of his thread chasers seee? the right tools!

mothers saying "bad workmen blame their tools" also doesnt work...

Failure, the fear of failing is the one thing that deters most Noobs.

Whether you think you can or can't, on both counts you will be right.

I could say that if'n you had a million bucks spare, you could do anything.....if'n ya' know how.

What fails is the inability to fix it, you must have had an idea of what you were trying to achieve before you started to do it, so if'n the damm thing don't work, back up a step, read the instruction manual this time and make it again.

BTW, all my turning and milling tooling are HSS, some carbide for special jobs, but no indexable tip tools....they're for Noobs who don't know sh!t from butter.

A couple of things that don't work, just to be on topic......
    1 Turning brass with a tool ground for steel.
    2 Parting off with a blunt tool.
    3 Drilling alluminium bronze with a blunt drill.
    4 Turning alluminium dry.
    5 Tig welding without Argon.
    6 Charity.
    7 A one legged man in a bum kicking contest.
    8 Friends in need.
    9 Borrowed tools.
    10 And last but not least......Putting off till retirement all those projects you should have done when you were fit and able.

Oh....and one more....the expectation that insatiable collecting at junk auctions will give you lots of money from resales on Ebay and a tidy workshop....LOL.
    Ian.

I was curious to see what this post was all about. Answer for first post, heat treat the ring, plenty of "how to do" in here and other places.
    For the rest, what a load of dribble.

Bluejets of course is an "expert", hence he attacks the problem by trying to cure the symptom......an expert is a drip under pressure.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Bluejets of course is an "expert", hence he attacks the problem by trying to cure the symptom......an expert is a drip under pressure.
    Ian.
    Ah no mate...... I'm too old to be referred to as an "expert". Thats an old one my grandfather taught me never to admit to. Professional will be just fine thankyou, and I have the finished projects to prove it.

....and your professional opinion was "to heat treat the ring"....I expect if'n you were a lawyer you'd say to the client, "plead guilty, you'll get a lighter sentence".

Ascertain the facts before passing judgement, even a novice knows that.

It didn't work because......

After a heavy welding session one of my friends had a problem with his TV set...it just wouldn't switch on, but 2 hours later it did....what was the problem?

Well he took the TV to the repairman who returned it working perfectly, charged him $60 min diagnostic charge etc.

2 days later same thing happened, TV on the blink, back to TV "expert", explained that welding session caused problem, so "expert" degaussed TV, charged $120 and TV working perfectly.

Next day after welding same thing happened, but TV not plugged in...but also not working again.....TV etc etc charged $60 etc.

Long story short....the welder had overpowered the ring main, and as the cable to the wall socket was also part of the shed power supply source it got hot, and the screws in the wall socket had loosened (expanded with the heat) and contact was lost until 2 hours later when the ring main circuit cooled down and contact was again made.

Moral of story.....don't pass judgement till facts are known.

Back to the thread.....
    Similar metals in soft state will not make good bearing surfaces.
    Mild steel running on mild steel will "gall", that is seize up under load, even if lubricated, but if one or both surfaces are case hardened and lapped they will, with lubrication, last forever.
    Ian.

What's up with the aussies beatin' on eachother?

We can't be perfect all the time mate, but sometimes we are exceptional.
    Ian.

Things that do not work:
    The boss's son.