584,841 active members*
4,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Techno CNC > While I am waiting... here's my 4th axis

While I am waiting... here's my 4th axis

Thought I would post my 4th axis, while I am waiting for the bad or really bad news on my Z axis. It would be nice to get this wired while my machine is down.

I had this custom made, based on a 5C Spindle Indexer. I also had a couple of 5C chucks made to accept my two 4-jaw chucks.

I like the quality of the work and am pleased with the price I paid.

I do have a couple of Techno questions though. Here is the following from the guy I bought the 4th axis from:

"The sensor is relatively simple. It has a light and a sensor that detects the light. The light is an LED that is on all of the time. The red wire connects to any 5V source, but you put the resistor in-line to reduce the current. It does not matter where you put the resistor, just so long as it is in the red wire somewhere. Resistors have no polarity, so it doesn't matter which side goes where. The resistor is installed in the wire 'in-series' meaning you would cut the wire and solder one cut end to one side of the resistor and the other cut end on the other side of the resistor.

The black wire on the sensor simply goes to ground.

http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.c...ment/1/re_id/0

The link above is the schematic of the sensor. The 'switch' side (NC, or Normally Closed) is just a transistor and has the typical collector and emitter (IN and OUT). Current must flow thru in the direction of the arrow. Find out where you connect a 'homing switch' or 'limit switch' to your Techno Isel control and what voltage it is. Feed that voltage to the white wire on the sensor and then run the green wire to the home switch input on your Techno Isel.

Note that power and ground should come from the same source. For example, if you get the 5V for the LED (red wire) from a PC power supply, then ground that LED (black wire) back to the PC power supply. If you get it from the Techno Isel, then ground back to the Techno Isel
    ."

My questions:

1- Where do I connect the Red, White and Green wires?

2- Is there a location on the Control Board that each of these are connected to and I can run wire through the e-chain to the 4th axis?

3- Where do I set the HOME location in the Techno Isel CNC Interface?

Here are some photographs of the 4th axis and a PDF of the Control Board with Call Outs. Any help closing out these details would be appreciated. Keep in mind, I am electronics challenged!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th axis rear.jpg   4th axis rear CU.jpg   4th axis top.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would love to see more pictures of your machine and what looks like a vacuum table mounted on it.

Thanks!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang View Post
    I would love to see more pictures of your machine and what looks like a vacuum table mounted on it.

Thanks!

Ed
    Ed,

I had 13 panels of PVC to mill and needed a vacuum hold down. I didn't have time to make the one I wanted from extrusion and shop eBay for a 10hp regen blower. So I fabricated a torsion box from kiln dried 2x4's and 9ply shop grade plywood.

I milled a hole in the end 2x4, to accept the PVC pipe that was connected to my shop-vac.

I sealed everything with silicone and milled the top of the box with a 2" surface planing bit. I used chalk to determine that I had milled all the low spots out. Took three passes to get it acceptable.

I then drilled a pattern of .75" holes. If I had to do it over, I would make the holes smaller and not as close.

I tossed a sheet of 1/2" PVC on the vacuum table and fired up the shop-vac. Held like a champ! When I tried to push the PVC, it moved the entire vacuum table, which weighed in at about 150 lbs. So I used t-slot cam clamps to hold it on bit ends.

I milled the 13 panels, making $225 per panel (client supplied materials, all I did was machine them). Not bad for a vacuum table costing less than $100.

Plans call for making the 80/20 extruded frame with Trupan on a vacuum plenum. 2" PVC will pipe under the 80/20 and exit at several zones. I will hook up a 10-15 HP regen blower to make it really suck. This config should allow for easy removal when not processing sheet stock.

Here are some photographs of the panel being processed and a rendering of the vacuum table top.

D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Grid Holes 4x8.jpg   4x8 Vacuum Table.jpg   4x8 Vacuum Table 2.jpg   4x8 Vacuum Table 3.jpg  

Looks great!

Thanks

Im in the midst of making a 4th axis for the same plus board. I can help you with the colours if you give me a part no on the switch.

Where did you find that servo?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew2 View Post
    Im in the midst of making a 4th axis for the same plus board. I can help you with the colours if you give me a part no on the switch.

Where did you find that servo?
    Andrew,

I bought the servo from Techno... yeah, I know, $$$$

Since I posted this, I was running a finish cut on some very expensive curly walnut... taking off about .015 with a 10% step-over... using a .0625 ballnose endmill... the pulley journal on the gantry ballscrew snapped clean off... and drove the endmill into the walnut, ruining a $50 chunk of wood and a $$$$ ballscrew!

This machine is cursed!

Are you asking for the sensor switch part number? If so, I have a link to that from the machinist that made the 4th axis for me...

Thanks,

Dave

No, I dont need a part number.

Did you get that ballscrew repaired ok?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew2 View Post
    No, I dont need a part number.

Did you get that ballscrew repaired ok?
    Yes, I have it all back together. Not something I want to do again anytime soon.

I think I buggered up the nose cone bearing in my HSD Spindle when everything went awry. I sounds pitiful when it powers down to a stop... especially the last few seconds of rotation. So, a rebuild is most likely in order in the not too distant future.

I am still waiting for my switch to come back from Techno. Mike was going to look it over and develop a simple installation packet for me, but it's been a couple of months now and not much communication... Consequently, I still do not have my 4th axis running yet and not able to play with madCAM!

Dave

4th Axis is up and running!

I received the optical sensor from Mike and he walked me through the setup and configurations. Everything works well in the Interface and the 4th axis homes and spins on command.

Now to get to work on some Rhino/madCAM files to see what I can do with the new tool!

Maybe a guitar neck... hummmm

D

That's a spindexer in there? I thought those things didn't have bearings. The reason I ask is I was considering using one for my own 4th axis build and they're usually only about $50.
    Alex