586,011 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What CAM Software Does Everyone Use??
Page 6 of 7 4567
    That looks pretty nice - how much?

After having used Solidworks for years, and then trying BobCAD (I have a full license for BobCAD as a result of a package deal with the purchase of a machine), AND giving BobCAD a good try....I can honestly say that I would not waste my time with BobCAD. After having tries BobCAD, I purchased Alibre Expert, and haven't looked back....

Alibre is very cost effective, is very much "Solidworks Lite", and is actually better in some ways (sheet metal in Alibre is a bit easier...although it needs more features).

My biggest complaint with BobCAD is the lack of a design tree....very hard to adjust any single feature.... It's basically an awkward and counter intuitive piece of software. Could I build a part with it? Yup...but I wouldn't want to.

I'm torn between buying ALibre CAM professional (4 axis), or visual mill 6.0 with the 4th axis add in....

I have to disagree with you. Of course it's a matter of opinion but I think its very easy to modify features from the Cam Tree. I've never used Alibre but it seems from what I read that people either love it or hate it. Same for BobCAD, some love it, some hate it.

I personally like it a lot.

Now if your talking on the CAD side of things. It's just OK. I'm a SolidWorks user and BobCAD is nothing like it as far as solid modeling is concerned. I create all my parts in SolidWorks and use BobCAD to generate my toolpath. I'm very pleased with it.

~Scott

I use Rhino exclusively these days for modeling. It doesn't do some of the parametric or analytical stuff that Solidworks or PRO/E will do (though I do need to try the Grasshopper parametric add-on), but for plain old modeling, it's great.

For CAM, I've used Cut2D, Cut3D, SurfCAM, and Visual Mill in the past, and they're all pretty good at what they do. I am currently getting to know DeskProto, which takes a somewhat different approach. DeskProto is fast as heck, but doesn't give quite the same amount of control over toolpath generation. But for what it does, I'm liking it so far. It also has a nice "2 sided milling" option for milling 2 sided parts without using a 4th axis.

However, none of that is cheap. If I were on a really tight budget, I'd take a look at SketchUp (free) for modeling, with a free STL exporter, and MeshCAM for toolpath generation: it looks pretty capable for many types of work.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    That looks pretty nice - how much?
    no clue, probably a few k

Quote Originally Posted by m98custom1212 View Post
    I use Autodesk Inventor 2011 PRO and mastercam x3 for now. I used to use solid works 2009 but that program pissed me off too many times. I want to replace master cam also

Toke me 15mins in Inventor switching back and forth looking for the dimensions.

looks nice but i think the angle is supposed to go right into the radius'd edge, and not have that straight part.

I have a student copy of inventor and have no idea how it works... it expires in 6 months. you don't know of any online guides that are pretty decent do you?

Quote Originally Posted by canadamaxxer View Post

I'm torn between buying ALibre CAM professional (4 axis), or visual mill 6.0 with the 4th axis add in....
    I have both the Alibre Cam xpert with Alibre Design Expert 12.1 and also a copy of the 3 axis Visual Mill 6.

When it comes to quick Machining ops, I like Visual Mill better. Even though they are virtually the same program, I find it easier to select machining areas in Visual mill than I do with Alibre Cam. The reason is I like the way that Visual Mill lets you select things like holes and machinable regions. Alibre Cam is a little more involved and I find myself switching back and forth to often to the design view to do the same things.

I wish that Alibre would release some GOOD manuals and videos on how to use the Alibre cam with Alibre Design. They keep treating them as 2 different systems, but in reality, with them combined in the design browser, they are not and there are some tricks to selecting and dealing with machinable regions that just don't make sense to me. Again, this is likely a learning curve issue.

Overall at this point, I would recommend getting the visual Mill seperate from Alibre.

Quote Originally Posted by cjdavis618 View Post
    I have both the Alibre Cam xpert with Alibre Design Expert 12.1 and also a copy of the 3 axis Visual Mill 6.

When it comes to quick Machining ops, I like Visual Mill better. Even though they are virtually the same program, I find it easier to select machining areas in Visual mill than I do with Alibre Cam. The reason is I like the way that Visual Mill lets you select things like holes and machinable regions. Alibre Cam is a little more involved and I find myself switching back and forth to often to the design view to do the same things.

I wish that Alibre would release some GOOD manuals and videos on how to use the Alibre cam with Alibre Design. They keep treating them as 2 different systems, but in reality, with them combined in the design browser, they are not and there are some tricks to selecting and dealing with machinable regions that just don't make sense to me. Agan, this is likely a learning curve issue.

Overall at this point, I would recommend getting the visual Mill seperate from Alibre.
    That's exactly the information that I needed....thank you!!

I use bobcad and find that v23 is a huge improvement over earlier versions. I took a pause from cad for a couple of years and last year when I looked at upgrading or replacing bobcad v19, I downloaded and demo'd a couple of different packages. I really liked the way Rhino thought. For me it was intuitive. Just as I was about to purchase Rhino, I got another one of those incessant calls from bobcad sales. Having caller ID I usually ignored them but answered the phone this time.

I had downloaded v23 as a demo, but since so much had changed it was like learning a new program. If I was going to learn a new program I figured I might as well buy something that to me was more intuitive than bobcad v23 appeared to be from my short exposure.

Anyway, the salesman put on the pressure to upgrade extolling the virtues and improvements, etc. Since I had pretty much already decided on Rhino, I pushed him to the limit. It was so much like dealing with a used car salesman. Back & forth to the "sales manager". Eventually he offered to sell me v23 mill + lathe + bobart pro + predator editor + the tutorial dvd's for each for a pittance. I could have added the EDM and high speed pocketing for a few bucks more. Felt like a fire sale.

The only mistake I made was in not insisting on getting the dongle. Once installed the license is activated for that computer only. To move the license to another computer, you must de-authorize the installation. If your computer crashes and the hard drive is damaged, your license is lost. I had a computer meltdown scare a few months ago and realized I needed the dongle. Only problem is, once you have bought your copy you cannot come back later and get a dongle.

I did however get a second seat on a dongle, an upgrade to level 2 mill and an upgrade to predator for $150 which is $50 more than the cost of a dongle. I de-authorized my old installation, un-installed it and re-installed with the dongle. Then I installed a dongle license version on my laptop as well. If you do go bobcad, get the usb dongle and remember the dongle "is" your license, don't lose it! I have the old license in reserve in the event I lose the dongle. Remember to "work" the salesman, be a hard sell, many many people get bobcad v23 mill & lathe for under $300.

Is bobcad the best? Not for everyone or everything. But it is a good economical program with some very good features. Sales calls me every week, sometimes more often when they have a new deal offering. Caller ID allows me to avoid the calls or simply pickup and drop the handset. At least I know they are still in business. LOL
    BTW Wells Fargo bank calls me at least every day so I am used to the telemarketing and I know my phone hasn't been disconnected. :stickpoke

Quote Originally Posted by bigspike View Post
    The only mistake I made was in not insisting on getting the dongle.
    They much have changed something then, they used to not sell v23 without a dongle. I totally agree with you, though, that the flexibility offered with the dongle is WAY worth any additional cost, and you MUST make sure to "guard it with your life". I thought I had lost mine, and they would be budge on any pricing or "free" replacement - they wanted more for a replacement that I had originally paid for the software! I now keep my dongle in a bright red ziplock bag so that I am sure not to forget it somewhere. I understand they can't just give them out free, but charging more than I originally paid was frustrating.

Also, they will repair a broken dongle for free (well, shipping likely not included). So you are only SOL if you lose the whole thing (wonder if homeowners insurance would cover it????)...

Hi, being one of the newest of the CNC world, I would like to know which CAD and CAM economic software is better for you guys.
    I have a new Optimum BF46 Vario mill and I will convert it to CNC, but now I want to get some economic software that works well with my mill for practice once it will be converted to CNC and running on Mach3.
    The CAD/CAM is where I still need some help.

I will use the BF46 to mill aluminum and steel mechanical supports, bearing holders, and machine parts in general.

Looking at some of the software you guys have posted about, I found that I really like the following software, as it seems powerful for the simplicity and price.

CAD:
    ViaCAD 3D/3D V.7 $99
    http://www.punchcad.com/products/viacad2d3dV7.htm
    Alibre Design PE 3D $99
    http://www.alibre.com/products/hobby/

CAM:
    Vectric Cut 3D $299
    http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr.../c3d_index.htm

Will be welcome information on CAD and CAM software on this price range, below $300.

Thank you
    Toni from Barcelona (SPAIN)

FingerCAM!
    The best way to learn is trial error.

I personally use Viacad and absolutely love it!!!
    I have used autocad for a long time for work but I find Viacad to be WAYYYY
    easier and more intuitive for 3d stuff
    I design 3d in autocad but I like the interface for Viacad better

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    looks nice but i think the angle is supposed to go right into the radius'd edge, and not have that straight part.

I have a student copy of inventor and have no idea how it works... it expires in 6 months. you don't know of any online guides that are pretty decent do you?
    yes was correct. I looked at the print wrong.

Look in inventor tutorials, just type it in to the help section. Also, look at youtube.

I learned solid works first then self taught my self inventor. I like inventor so more then solid works now.

12 minutes, but I am not that good with bobcad yet so I drew it in 2D with visual cadd (4.5 min) and exported to dxf. opened the dxf in bobcad and converted to 3D

I have been using Visual Cadd and it's predecessor Generic Cadd for nearly 20 years. From before Autodesk bought it and killed it to now. It may be the fastest and easiest 2D program for designing and conceptualizing.

There is a visual cadd 6.0 30 day free demo available at www.tritools.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails which_cad_1.jpg   which_cad_1b.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tonibike View Post
    Hi, being one of the newest of the CNC world, I would like to know which CAD and CAM economic software is better for you guys.
    I have a new Optimum BF46 Vario mill and I will convert it to CNC, but now I want to get some economic software that works well with my mill for practice once it will be converted to CNC and running on Mach3.
    The CAD/CAM is where I still need some help.

I will use the BF46 to mill aluminum and steel mechanical supports, bearing holders, and machine parts in general.

Looking at some of the software you guys have posted about, I found that I really like the following software, as it seems powerful for the simplicity and price.

CAD:
    ViaCAD 3D/3D V.7 $99
    http://www.punchcad.com/products/viacad2d3dV7.htm
    Alibre Design PE 3D $99
    http://www.alibre.com/products/hobby/

CAM:
    Vectric Cut 3D $299
    http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr.../c3d_index.htm

Will be welcome information on CAD and CAM software on this price range, below $300.

Thank you
    Toni from Barcelona (SPAIN)
    that really PISSES me off. I am a student and tried to get alibre professional for the price of alibre standard and the guy on the phone went "UHHH No." I am going to send them a heated email trying to get the alibre professional at that price.

Having said that, i do love alibre standard and would ABSOLUTELY take advantage of that deal. i don't know much about viacad, someone else should chime in but i doubt its as powerful as alibre.

I am not sure if you would be able to import your alibre drawings into vectric though. I have played with the vectric software and it seems like great stuff for the money.

cheers

EDIT:

hmm looks like alibre is now calling "standard" their "PE(professional edition)" so disregard my comment on that

hmm looks like alibre is now calling "standard" their "PE(professional edition)" so disregard my comment on that
    The PE is for "Personal Edition" not Professional Edition. PE is the "hobby" version.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Quote Originally Posted by bobsch View Post
    The PE is for "Personal Edition" not Professional Edition. PE is the "hobby" version.
    +1

$99 for Alibre Personal Edition
    $599 for Professional
    $1199 for Expert

They had some incredible sales over the last couple of months though. Keep an eye out, it will happen again.

I have tried many of the popular cad and cam software from the hobby level to professional level.
    At the lower price range I found Sheetcam a really nice and easy to use 2.5 D program with basic cut options. It was the first cam software I learned with.
    http://sheetcam.com/

Meshcam is a nice and easy to use 3d cam program that's inexpensive.
    http://meshcam.com/

Cambam also looks real nice with both 2.5d and 3d basic function.
    http://www.cambam.co.uk/

At the high end level I really like the integrated cam software available for Solidworks.
    I have tried many of them including Mastercam x5 for Solidworks, CamWorks for Solidworks, Solidcam and the one I really like a lot is HSMworks.
    http://www.hsmworks.com/
    http://www.mastercam.com/Products/MastercamForSolidworks/Default.aspx
    http://www.camworks.com/products/
    http://www.solidcam.com/

All of the above are very expensive.

This is a typical work flow from cad to cam to controller using a HSMworks tutorial part.

The part or parts are first designed in Solidworks-

Then the cam tab (in this example using HSMworks) is opened inside of Solidworks and the cut process is designed and simulated-

Then post process to whatever machine controller needed. In this case it's Mach3.
    Many of the better cam software will also include a Gcode editor and back-plot function. Here you can view all of the code stats, run further simulations, edit the code etc..

Once satisfied the code is loaded into the controller. The machine, tools and parts prepared and then ready to begin the milling process.

Steve

I'd like to get the BobCAD module for SolidWorks, but I'm using 2004 and its not supported :-(

~Scott

Page 6 of 7 4567