584,837 active members*
4,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What CAM Software Does Everyone Use??
Page 4 of 7 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    Ive read to many bad things bout bobcam allot of bad. Realisticly the only good ive read is the price tag. It seems every one starts off with Bob and if they use another program well thats it there done with Mr. bob.
    Im not just saying this search your self and look for a user who used more than just Bob cad cam. Its unbelievable how many unhappy costumers they have. I have a copy and I dont even want to use it.
    Ive been learning edge cam and read something bout it going with solid works also. Im pretty set on using the combo I have now. Im new to this so im not going to try and learn 5 different programs at once it will discourage me. Thats me though.

I also have solid edge ,
    once I get the other two figured out im going to give that a shot.

Im great with computer work,
    And my computer well I dont like to brag but its few months old with AMDs top 64bit AM3 quad core processor 8mb of ddr3 ram and 2.5 terabyte
    (2500 gigabytes) hard drive. Mounted on a 38 in LCD with High def vid and audio on windows7. It can handle anything thrown at it. Im very pleased with it.
    This was my dream computer I built myself so Im very computer friendly and know more than most. The price tag if you could believe it with the 38in LCD was over 2200. I hope I wont need another PC for a long time. My last one lasted 7 years.
    It will be running my CNC amongst other things.
    Its all backed up daily on a hard drive set specifically to erase what was stored the day prior and rewrite a copy of my hard drive.

Im pretty confident in time ill figure out Cad Cam process. If you want something bad enough you can always do it.
    As a colleague at work says, "You can lead a horse to water, but it's still hard as hell to drown him".

Good luck in your search, you don't seem to be understanding that I can offer informative value added discussion to your process, so I am done with my attempts to educate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post
    Mcphil: That is very organized program, is that from BobCAM?
    Actually that is from that "very bad program" BobCAD v23, with the stock HAAS post processor. Too bad no one actually takes the time to learn anything any more... All the tools listed in this thread are more than capable of doing what most people need, a few are capable of full 3D machining, and very few are capable of 4 and 5 axis work. Seems that too many people are slugs that don't just want their free lunch, but want it spoon fed to them as well. I like to learn things on my own, and often find that the most "bad mouthed" items out there (BobCAD in this case) are the BEST value solutions available! I could not be happier with my purchase - I have a total of 4 seats of BobCAD/BobCAM now. The only thing I am looking for now is a program that can do 4 and 5 axis parts, but I think that will be solved with GibbsCAM.

I've been thinking about getting BobCAD lately. I've heard that V23 is a big improvement from V22. Maybe I will download the Demo and try her out.

~Scott

I never asked for water

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    As a colleague at work says, "You can lead a horse to water, but it's still hard as hell to drown him".

Good luck in your search, you don't seem to be understanding that I can offer informative value added discussion to your process, so I am done with my attempts to educate you.
    You seem upset because I dont want to start my learning curve with BobCad.

Here is what Ive read bout Bobcad.
    Here are the first random pages I came across.

http://www.rhino3d.com/resources/dis...e=&listing=872
    They are saying a Simple DXF pluggin from google Sketchup is better . Wwowww
    http://mobile.pirate4x4.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=866640
    Here is a thread on bobcad to stop calling you!
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ng-you-168381/
    Heres one from our site.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ghlight=bobcad

Now theese are random thread that come up when you google bobcad.
    Fudge a bobcad I dont want to deal with those headaches when I learning something new. Its my decision and I think a wise one.
    how can you support something that has such a bad rep. Yeah some people claim it works for them but thats just because they have never took the time to learn a new program it seems.
    go into the search function with bobcad as title only and read the stuff for your self.
    There are so many problems. Who wants to learn that?

I dont want to get stuck on this and ruin the thread so lets leave this issue alone if possible. I will be

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    So what CAD and CAM software does everyone use on their home bench-top mill, how simple/complex is it, and how do you like it?

Personally I use Autocad 2006 and MasterCAM X3, programs have the ability to be simple or very complex but have never used anything diffrent. I like them both but wish there was an easier way.
    I use CamBam Pro (and a bit of TurboCAD). AutoCAD + MasterCAM together would cost over 10x what I have invested in my CNC machine.

Well after I downloaded the demo of BobCAD V23 they called me as to be expected.

I spoke with a fella named Josh who put me through to a demo of the Mill and Lathe with a guy named Riccardo, using www.gotomeeting.com, which was pretty cool, I could see everything he was doing while he was talking and explaining different features. Anyway, wow pretty impressive software. Much nicer then any CAM software I've used. Some of the features are very clever, like being able to machine 2D and 3D within the same part program working off of a 3D model. The user interface looks very easy to use as well.

After I was done with the Demo they put me back on with this guy Josh. NOW I know what they mean when they say they apply the pressure. He was trying his hardest to sell me this software. First he started off saying how they are running 50% off this week only and you get a free copy of BobArt, which is cool, a lot of businesses run sales and deals around the holidays, it's just good business.

Well after I told him I really wasn't in the market to buy right now, he really turned up the heat. Eventually he put me on hold to talk to his "superior" and came back with a price of $300.00!!

I couldn't pass this up. A full seat of V23 Mill Standard for 300 big ones! Other then the constant pressure of trying to sell me this software for their "On Sale" price, I am rather pleased.

I've never used any BobCAD software before, but from what I've seen V23 is pretty nice.

Once I get it (About a week he said) I will post some feedback.

~Scott

Arch0908, if you set your mind to and and want to learn, then it WILL come. try to find help on Mastercam. I have taught myself almost everything I know about Mastercam and I am still learning after using it for 6 years. There are many people that will help with whatever CAM program you choose. there is a forum for almost every CAM software you choose on CNCZONE as well.

Everyone has there own preference of CAD/CAM, and not all programs will accommodate all users. In the end you will find what is right for you and stick with it.

Jermie ,
    I agree people have there mind set on something and do it there is usually no point in trying to talk them out of it. Either way.
    At this point in time im happy with the way im learning. But thank you for the words of advice. Itll all come to me eventually im sure no mater what software I use as long as I stick at it.
    Anthony

Ive been building computers since i was 13, i had $1300 in graphics cards in my main comp when i was 14 (sli 8800gtx when they first came out ha) but parametric modeling software still is hard for me... i can make parts but not the most efficiently and can't do some more complicated stuff. I was turned off of bobcad for the same reasons you were but im sure its great for some people. Before you dedicate too much time and energy into cad/cam i would think what are all the parts your going to be making, hand writing will suffice a lot of the time. With partmaster pro, i can start a drawing and have g-code loaded on my computer within 1-2 hours (of course depending on the part, but for a pretty sophisticated part) ready for cutting. There is not a single part that i have not been able to cut with dolphin that i would with ANY other 3D or more expensive cam software, and my mill has "been around the block" so to speak in terms of making all sorts of random complicated parts. When i was looking around at packages it seemed pretty bleak and boring compared to sw/alibre, but it was exactly what i was looking for.

all of these were made with dolphin

One should sort through what parts they are going to be making before purchasing cad/cam software in my opinion.

Best of luck in your decisions.

17 mins with alibre standard, but had to figure out how to input degrees and i am very new to the program...

Teyber you hit it right on the nose. Dolphin has actually suprised me many times with what it can do. Many times I thought I may have to use surfcam to program a part but almost every single time, Dolphin pulls through with relative ease. It's so much more capable than just 2.5d in my eyes.

Agrees about Dolphin and their customer service is second to none, polite, helpful and clever. I only use their CAM though cos I'm more used to ACAD
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I gotta ask. How on earth are people affording SolidWorks and other such software in a home environment? I'm considering Sketchup Pro because I could at least export and get decent prints from it but it's $500 and that's a serious layout of cash. Alibre just baffles me completely. I have yet to find anything else that is affordable that I can get anything done in as easily as Sketchup but it lacks a lot of CAD features.

So far I have some interest in:
    -Rhino but I can't seem to download the demo.
    -TurboCAD Deluxe
    -Skechup and SolidEdge 2D for working drawings.
    -Maybe BobCAD v23 but I was not impressed at first blush with it. Seemed like you type everything in the CAD portion and the mouse was just there for grins, but I didn't spend long with it.
    -Perhaps Dolphin since it could likely replace SolidEdge and give me CAM as well.

Then I have to also look into a CAM package if it's not included.

Daunting. But so many folks here are talking about apps that cost as much as my mill and lathe cost combined. That is just way out of reach for me. Can anyone list some suggestions for CAD/CAM that would be under $1000 combined?

As we all have been mentioning, try Dolphin. It's both a CAD and CAM software for under 1K. Looks to be what your after.

photomanc: Hang in there. Right now I'm pretty high on BobCAD V23. After seeing what it can do from an actual experienced person using it, it is more then enough for most of the hobbyist's on here. It can do everything my MasterCamV9 can do but MUCH simpler.

Once I actually receive my software I will post my true feelings on it.

~Scott

ProgeCAD is free and is exactly the same as AutoCAD

http://www.progesoft.com/

Look down the bottom of the page for version 9 (that's the free one)
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I gotta ask. How on earth are people affording SolidWorks and other such software in a home environment? I'm considering Sketchup Pro because I could at least export and get decent prints from it but it's $500 and that's a serious layout of cash. Alibre just baffles me completely. I have yet to find anything else that is affordable that I can get anything done in as easily as Sketchup but it lacks a lot of CAD features.

-TurboCAD Deluxe
    -Maybe BobCAD v23 but I was not impressed at first blush with it. Seemed like you type everything in the CAD portion and the mouse was just there for grins, but I didn't spend long with it.
    -Perhaps Dolphin since it could likely replace SolidEdge and give me CAM as well.

Daunting. But so many folks here are talking about apps that cost as much as my mill and lathe cost combined. That is just way out of reach for me. Can anyone list some suggestions for CAD/CAM that would be under $1000 combined?
    Also with dolphin, you can get a pretty sizable discount if its for hobby use. (i want to say ~ 40%) just ask them. you can download the program and get full functionability (minus .dxf export on for cad and only 50 lines for cam, but you can learn how to use the software)

i don't know what im doing, so i spent $99 on alibre standard. thats another thing to look into.

Has anybody here used the cam plugin for alibre?

I would not bother buying sketchup pro from what ive heard

-TurboCAD Deluxe

Well if you point to the TurboCad Deluxe then you have not 3d modeling.
    For home hobby usage You can use DoubleCad XT (free). If you want to go 3D then you can get ProgeCad 2009 Smart and have similar options like turbocad deluxe for zero price (free for home-noncomercial ussage)

If you want real 3D modeling then you look for sketchup or ViaCAD. I don't know other usable 3d modeling for les than $150.

For CAM you have freeMill (free but limited options) CamBam (overpriced) and new kid on the block HeeksCNC (free)

As you say. My (steel) machine cost me aprox 500Eur total! I don't want to expense more money for software.

So my Software chain is:

2D/3D
    (CAD), DoubleCad, ProgeCad2009Smart, EaglePcb
    (CAM), HeeksCNC, some custom tools for drilling PCB
    (CNC), Ubuntu Linux and EMC2
    all work all free. Take ti or leave it.

for real 3D modeling
    (CAD), Google SketchUp (nonfree ViaCad seems good for that too)
    (CAM), FreeMill, HeeksCNC
    (CNC), Ubuntu Linux and EMC2
    all work all free. Take ti or leave it.

Thanks. I am strongly considering Sketchup Pro for 3D. There is just no other program out there that I can use with that ease. So I feel pretty comfortable with it.

I just had not seen many folks use it for output to CAM. Good to see it is working for you for that. I know about it's limitations in generating holes and curves, are there any other gotchas?

HeeksCNC looks interesting.

Thanks. I am strongly considering Sketchup Pro for 3D. There is just no other program out there that I can use with that ease. So I feel pretty comfortable with it.

I just had not seen many folks use it for output to CAM. Good to see it is working for you for that. I know about it's limitations in generating holes and curves, are there any other gotchas?

HeeksCNC looks interesting.
    I ask because im curious, what can you do with su pro that you can't do with regular su?

i thought the main advantages where stuff for like making presentations out of your drawings et cetera

Page 4 of 7 23456