585,975 active members*
4,477 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What CAM Software Does Everyone Use??
Page 5 of 7 34567
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Thanks. I am strongly considering Sketchup Pro for 3D. There is just no other program out there that I can use with that ease. So I feel pretty comfortable with it.

I just had not seen many folks use it for output to CAM. Good to see it is working for you for that. I know about it's limitations in generating holes and curves, are there any other gotchas?

HeeksCNC looks interesting.
    Try ViaCAD before you buy SketchUp. It's more CAD like.

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    I ask because im curious, what can you do with su pro that you can't do with regular su?

i thought the main advantages where stuff for like making presentations out of your drawings et cetera
    Get the files to DWG/DXF/Exports that other stuff can use. Right now, working manually it's absolutely fine for me. When it comes time to get the part into CAM is when it would be problematic.

Personal Use software

As stated by others there are some software packages that are available at a discounted price for "non-comercial use" or "personal" use.

Here's one example:

http://www.journeyed.com/item/273945/Wildfire/45654903N

Pretty good cause it includes CAM in that as well. Steep learning curve but that is why its available with the training DVD for $50 extra. Very capable sw.

Mike

Can't keep track of what everyone is using for CAM (sorry if you're using something else photomankc, then this doesn't really apply), but I had previously posted about a CamBam plugin that imports geometry directly from Alibre. A similar plugin exists for Sketchup... http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=598.0

Get the files to DWG/DXF/Exports that other stuff can use. Right now, working manually it's absolutely fine for me. When it comes time to get the part into CAM is when it would be problematic.

How on earth are people affording SolidWorks and other such software in a home environment?
    Often a Home Use License is available if you use a "higher" level software package at work (SolidWorks, MasterCam, CAMWorks, etc. offer these). However, it is up to IT in YOUR company to get you the license, and most don't want to bother. Form those IT relationships and work it! If you are the "only" user of the software, or have a close relationship with the distribution, getting a home use license can become easier...

Student licenses are another option, and grey area if you are not a student yourself. Make your own decision on your own ethical merits. If you know a student or teacher, they can buy it and "resell" to you. Again, use your own ethics.

Blatant stealing is another option. Not a recommended one, but software piracy is blatant. Use your own ethics on this one, of course.

eBay "old unused" licenses are out there for tons of CAD and CAM licenses and install discs. Sometimes you can have the license legally transferred to you for a nominal fee, sometimes it is not required at all. All depends on the OEM.

Sharing with friends is an option. If a hardware dongle is used, you can all load the software, but only one can use it at a time.

Finally, the good old "hard earned buck". If it's not worth paying for, you must not need it... If you can create a gizmo that will sell, you need to spend money to make money. Use you time trying to figure out a difficult to use freeware program, or designing in a more expensive higher end package. Your choice.

I use the first and last strategies on my software suite, and I have bought tons of software for way less than "list" price direct from the manufacturers. Some of them are MORE than willing to "cut you a break" as a hobbyist or start up company.

Many Mastercam users are pirating the software, especially V9. Mastercam requires you to use a Hardware HASP to use their product, if you don't have it then you are pirating it. We have 1 seat of X3 for a company my father subcontracts for and that is how I use mine. $10,000 for a seat is not a price for a hobbyist. 99% of companies will give a 30 day trial and I suggest using those to evaluate the software.

Quote Originally Posted by slavkok View Post
    Well if you point to the TurboCad Deluxe then you have not 3d modeling.
    Why?? TurboCAD has 3D modelling. A better choice, IMO, is DesignCAD. It's cheaper, and easier to use than TurboCAD. It's what I learned CAD on, way back on a 486.

If you want to go 3D then you can get ProgeCad 2009 Smart and have similar options like turbocad deluxe for zero price (free for home-noncomercial ussage)
    ProgeCAD Smart doesn't have 3D solids, and the native 3D objects are just drawn with lines. The few meshes it lets you create are not meshes either, just lines. Useless if you want to cut anything. Good for 2D, but it really doesn't do 3D at all.

If you want real 3D modeling then you look for sketchup
    The biggest deal breaker is the fact that curves in Sketchup are not curves, but short straight segments.

If you want to use Sketchup for 3D machining, you don't need the Pro version. There's a good .stl and .dxf surface export plugin that's free as well.

http://www.guitar-list.com/download-...les-dxf-or-stl

As for CAD under $150.

Alibre's personal edition is probably the best 3D bang for the buck at $99. As long as you can live with .stl export.

As I mentioned, DesignCAD is pretty good. Just make sure it'll export a usable format.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here is a Sketchup plugin that exports to DXF or STL

http://www.guitar-list.com/download-...les-dxf-or-stl

Being one of the newest of the newbies at CNC, I've downloaded a few of the "trial" versions of the programs some of you have listed. I want to get something that works well with my 18"x18"x2" router mill running on Mach3. The CAM is where I still need some help. I'm pretty well setup on CAD software.

Looking at some of the software you guys have posted about, I found that I really like the simplicity of Vectrics Cut2D. It seems powerful for the simplicity and price.

With the trial I can build my own pictures and get them ready to post process but of course that option is disabled. I can load the samples that are included and post process them but they show up with a bunch of garbage on Mach3. How am I supposed to know for certain that these programs work with what I have?

Does anyone have any simple sample files made on Cut2D and the g-code files for them that they would share with me? I'd to see how they actually look on the program and how they cut on my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRepair View Post

With the trial I can build my own pictures and get them ready to post process but of course that option is disabled. I can load the samples that are included and post process them but they show up with a bunch of garbage on Mach3. How am I supposed to know for certain that these programs work with what I have?
    Define Garbage? If you used the correct Mach Post processor, then the only problem you should see is possibly large circles everywhere? If that's what you mean, go to Config>General Config and change the IJ mode, most likely to incremental. If that's not it, give some more info, and a screen shot if possible.

There are hundreds of users here of Vectric's products and Mach3. They're by far the easiest to use, and are very powerful packages. If the preview in Cut 2D looks good, then it'll work for you. You're just doing something wrong. Vectric also has an outstanding support forum with probably hundreds of people always quick to help.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ger21,
    You're really good. I'm a stupid newbie that doesn't understand my own machine and you've already figured out my settings trouble with my terrible description. It was a bunch of circle shapes that were oddly connected.
    I changed to incremental and it shows and tracks properly. I made a few z axis changes and cut a sample.

Thanks for your help. I didn't mean to imply that it was the software to blame. I figured I didn't have the software setup correctly. I thought I had Mach3 configured since I've had a few sample files that I've downloaded that worked.

I've got a lot to learn about this stuff. I'm sure glad you smart guys and this forum are here.

The IJ Abs/Inc mode is a very common mistake with beginners. Everyone has to start somewhere. The good thing is, next time it happens, you know how to fix it :-)

I gotta ask. How on earth are people affording SolidWorks and other such software in a home environment?
    As mentioned, every licensed seat of SolidWorks allows 2 installs. One for work and one for home. The do NOT want the second install to be at work, as they want you to buy a second seat. They do want you to practice at home and become more proficient with the software. As more people use their software and become proficient with it, the more critical mass they gain and more demand is generated for their product.

I talked the owners of the small company I work for into buying a seat so we could better interface with out customers. Four years later, we have become just as dependant on it as we are AutoCAD.

SolidWorks is actually "budget" software, when you compare it to Pro-E or Catia.

I'm still not convinced that Inventor wouldn't have been a better package for us, as SolidWorks is (IMO) cumbersome for detailing mecanical drawings. But SW cost about $800 less at the time, and now our course is set.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McColley View Post
    As mentioned, every licensed seat of SolidWorks allows 2 installs. One for work and one for home. The do NOT want the second install to be at work, as they want you to buy a second seat. They do want you to practice at home and become more proficient with the software. As more people use their software and become proficient with it, the more critical mass they gain and more demand is generated for their product.

I talked the owners of the small company I work for into buying a seat so we could better interface with out customers. Four years later, we have become just as dependant on it as we are AutoCAD.

SolidWorks is actually "budget" software, when you compare it to Pro-E or Catia.

I'm still not convinced that Inventor wouldn't have been a better package for us, as SolidWorks is (IMO) cumbersome for detailing mecanical drawings. But SW cost about $800 less at the time, and now our course is set.

I myself started with AutoCAD and transitioned to Solidworks. At first glance I wasn't very keen on the 2D drawing side of Solidworks. The main issue I had with it was not having a command line, well later I figured out how to customize Solidworks to fit my style of drawing.

Now it is the exact opposite, I am so use to the way Solidworks operates, that I find AutoCAD frustrating to use.

I guess it's all what your accustomed to.

~Scott

I have used AutoCAD for awhile now, started with 2001 in high school and kept with it, 2004 and currently have a version of 2006. I have never used it for 3D modeling only 2d. Would always take my 2d drawings into Mastercam and then model everything. there has to be a better way.

I use AutoCAD for most of my 3D modeling. If you know how to use it, you can model just about anything. With every release, they continue to add 3D features. Especially 2010 and 2011.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I received my BobCAD V23 about two weeks ago and have been giving it a good work out.

I don't understand why people are so against BobCAD. I love it. Super easy to use and it generates organized efficient programs. I would recommend it to anyone.

I'm probably going to buy the High Speed Pocketing in the future. I seen a couple training videos on it and it seems to do some remarkable work. I'm not sure though how much it is though.

Anyway if anyone has any questions regarding V23, I'd be happy to help.

~Scott

I use Dolphin cad cam myself and can say that it has done wonders for me. For the cost of the software, it's in my eyes quite a steal. In the above post you said you dont know why so many ppl are against bobcad. Its not so much the new stuff, many of us have been burned in the past to much to go back. Others, well, may be different. :rainfro:

I use Autodesk Inventor 2011 PRO and mastercam x3 for now. I used to use solid works 2009 but that program pissed me off too many times. I want to replace master cam also

Toke me 15mins in Inventor switching back and forth looking for the dimensions.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7mT0vPLSQ"]YouTube- HSMWorks Workflow CAM Software[/nomedia]

Page 5 of 7 34567