584,837 active members*
5,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HF 8x12 VFD Mod and Others

Yeah so I got sick of the old stock motor and changing belts on the 8x12/14. And decided to get a 3ph motor and VFD. The VFD is a 1 HP Hitachi L100. 120 VAC input, 220 VAC output.

The motor is a WEG 3/4 HP 3600 RPM motor. Looking back, I should have went with a 1700 RPM 1 HP motor, but I bought this comb. for another project that didn't work out. Still, it's a NICE motor and VFD combination.

It took a little work getting this 56C frame motor to fit on the lathe. See pics. the bolt pattern is close to the stock motor, but a little longer, so I had to drill 2 new holes and make a pair of risers to clear the base and ways.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tGTKPskGs"]YouTube- CIMG2569.AVI[/nomedia]

Since I was modifying the entire electrical system, I decided to make new console controls. I just took a piece of 3/16" aluminum plate, faced it (I need a fly cutter), bored out some holes for the new buttons/switch, chamfered, and engraved some text (first engraving op for me!!). The buttons are tamper proof from Mcmaster-Carr.

I also wanted to remake the 2 L shaped pieces that hold the carriage to the ways. They seriously look like a 4 YO took a grinder to them. So I got some class 40 cast iron from speedy metals and made so new ones.

Last mod was to install a new toolpost. I got a AXA wedge style from ebay. I should have got a 0XA instead but this will do. All the holders are able to be centered if I use 3/8" tools. I'm going to have to mill a little off the compound in order to have more adjustment for the parting blade holder. Take a look at the pics, it shows how large this new toolpost is compared the the A2Z cnc one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG2497.JPG   CIMG2514.JPG   CIMG2510.JPG   CIMG2532.JPG  

CIMG2494.JPG   CIMG2506.JPG   CIMG2509.JPG   CIMG2534.JPG  

CIMG2540.JPG   CIMG2565.JPG  
    Shaun
    my x2 conversion ------> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36403

Nice work on that new control face plate. It is cool the first time you CNC engrave something.
    Regards,
    Mark

nice work kudos

Nice!

Looking good ... keep us updated ...

regards,

Bill s

Re: HF 8x12 VFD Mod and Others

Quote Originally Posted by skmetal7 View Post
    Yeah so I got sick of the old stock motor and changing belts on the 8x12/14. And decided to get a 3ph motor and VFD. The VFD is a 1 HP Hitachi L100. 120 VAC input, 220 VAC output.

The motor is a WEG 3/4 HP 3600 RPM motor. Looking back, I should have went with a 1700 RPM 1 HP motor, but I bought this comb. for another project that didn't work out. Still, it's a NICE motor and VFD combination.

It took a little work getting this 56C frame motor to fit on the lathe. See pics. the bolt pattern is close to the stock motor, but a little longer, so I had to drill 2 new holes and make a pair of risers to clear the base and ways.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tGTKPskGs"]YouTube- CIMG2569.AVI[/nomedia]

Since I was modifying the entire electrical system, I decided to make new console controls. I just took a piece of 3/16" aluminum plate, faced it (I need a fly cutter), bored out some holes for the new buttons/switch, chamfered, and engraved some text (first engraving op for me!!). The buttons are tamper proof from Mcmaster-Carr.

I also wanted to remake the 2 L shaped pieces that hold the carriage to the ways. They seriously look like a 4 YO took a grinder to them. So I got some class 40 cast iron from speedy metals and made so new ones.

Last mod was to install a new toolpost. I got a AXA wedge style from ebay. I should have got a 0XA instead but this will do. All the holders are able to be centered if I use 3/8" tools. I'm going to have to mill a little off the compound in order to have more adjustment for the parting blade holder. Take a look at the pics, it shows how large this new toolpost is compared the the A2Z cnc one.
    Many thanks for the post!

I'd consider mounting a plate to the lathe and the motor to the plate. Would that be better?

What is that smaller looking tool post on the combination slide?

3Hp that's going to be a beast, I have a 1.5Hp on mine, and i love it. I also have the AXA tool post, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Also, you should add a potentiometer to your control panel so you can adjust the VFD speed remotly.

I have added a tachometer to the spindle so I have some idea of the surface speed when it's done.
    Attachment 290380 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	290382