584,842 active members*
4,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Tell us abut your smithy...
Page 1 of 2 12

Tell us abut your smithy...

Okay, I asked for this forum, so I ought to get something going. I realize 3 in 1's are the redheaded stepchild of the machine tool world, but its all i've got & will do more machining than what I had, a $50 HF drill press, heh.

I just bought mine, it is used but new to me. It is the AT300 from the late 80's when smithy was still in Oregon. Metric leadscrews & scales. Funny bright blue color.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has CNC converted a smithy, I haven't found any pictures or descriptions of how others have done it. Pictures would be gravy!

Also, if you had a smithy but got rid of it, you can tell us what you had.

Hope this gets things going.

take care,

Jester

I have a Smithy 1220 (base model) that I used for a year and a half before converting to CNC. I fly R/C helicopters and have had an interest in machining my own components. I spent $2000 on the machine with bench and accessories. For someone who had never machined anything before, it's been a great machine, and I made some complex parts with good precision using it as a manual machine. The quality is somewhere between the machines that Harbour Freight sells and the more-expensive import machines on the floor at my local machine supply company. Smithy is local to me and provides good support and advice. For the price range and support I would recommend their machines over Grizzly, Enco, or Harbour Freight.

That's the good. The bad is that the slides and screws are so poor that they would not be a good fit for CNC conversion. I cheated and bought 2 Kuroda linear slides off of Ebay and unbolted the standard carriage and screws. These linear slides give me the precision and range needed for my heli parts. I added a ball screw to the Z-axis, but I get a poor surface finish when machining aluminum due to a lack of rigidity. I'm working to add linear bearings or something to strengthen it up. I've added an extension and a small precision linear slide to the column that allows me to mount a Dremel tool. This gives me a range of about 14"x16" for routing, and I can also cut vinyl decals. When time permits, I will build suitable tool holders so I can use the lathe in CNC. For now, it takes about 15 minutes to unbolt the slides and return the machine to original configuration.

The motors are 270oz (i think?) Nema 23 motors and the controls are Xylotex. I've also recent added a 486 Industrial PC that is dedicated solely to machine control. Coolant is a mist system I built. All told I have a little less than $1000 in the conversion, including pc and software. Software is TurboCAD for design, Deskam for CAM, CNC Simulator, and TurboCNC Dos for machine control.

This has been a great project and a new hobby unto itself. You can see pictures of my machine and projects at:

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/2598/

I recently ordered a smithy 1220LTD. I hope I made a good choice, but I've never don't any decent machining before on a good machine so I'll be learning. I'll post pictures when I recieve my crate and set it up.

I have a Smithy Granite 1324 that I purchased new about 3 years ago. I find it to be just barely adequate for my needs as a lathe and I do not use the millhead at all since I purchased a gearhead bench mill two years ago. I originally purchased the machine to do gunsmith work and for that purpose the machine is adequate if you take light cuts. The technical support is very good. I have needed to repair the machine 4 times and the machine has served me well. If I could do this all over again I could and would purchase a square column gearhead mill and a benchtop 13 x 40 lathe for the same amount of money.

MikeAber
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making a Thrust Bearing Housing.JPG   Smithy Lathe & Gearhead Mill.JPG  

Smile Used 3 in 1 CB1220XL

Hello all, I just got my first Smithy, CB1220XL,Yesterday at a tool auction, Played with it, needs to be cleaned up & readjusted. Looks like it was used hard & put away wet! Need to get manual, Some one welded the Jacobs chuck to the mill shaft. Looks like it has all the gears, wrenches, Tail stock drill chuck. I'm hoping to be able to use it for making parts for a CNC Router I'm working on. Also on CNCZone. Also has a set of end mills. Any one know the age of it, I'll contact Smithy for a manual & parts list.

My Dad got the granite 1324 about three to four years ago. The only problem we got from smithy is the relay switch burned out. the start and stop buttons. Smithy company was kind enought o replace it for free. We love it and also we can take the lathe drum off. So we could do milling alot easier. It's a great machine i've done 6" to .25", i just love it. Smithy customer service is a little jumpy over the phone but they give you the info that you need to get your correct toling.

Tim

Well, I've seen enough negative notes here to quickly drop in to say my 1324 machine is great... Does it leave me yearning for a Bridgeport, Um... Yeah, what doesn't? It could be tighter, but it works well in a small amount of space, & converts quickly.

I had the motor go bad which took a couple of tries to get diagnosed over the phone (& 1 needlessly smoked controller), but they were very good about it, & didn't charge me. I have since done a custom wiring job to move the electronics out of the gearbox, & into a ventilated box of it's own, added 24VDC control, & a protection scheme that makes sure it waits 3 seconds before reversing. Hopefully no more smoking motors!

I have just finished the electro-mechanical power drawbar system, & things are starting to shape up nicely. Oh, & the DRM I added 6 months ago has made all the difference in final products. After looking at lots of them, I paid $750 for 3 axes and would make recommendation if anyone is looking. Not the best install instructions, but then I have pictures! Or, at least I will try to have some soon.

So, for light duty machining... it's a good choice for those of us who have to make every inch of floor space count. I have a single car garage where the washer, dryer, Harley, & dirt bike all live... But I still have just enough room for the important things in life And no, I don't have to put a car in there, that would be a little tight.

AirCavVietnam Guest
    Hello to everone that may visit from time to time . I'm "Strickly" a weekend worrier with my Smithy Granite 1324 but as I fumble through what ever project I try the Smithy does manage to get r done . A frind has a Southbend and has played with my machine some and has found some features on it he really likes about it . the varible speed control is "sweet" but as with any tooling machine it has limitations and as long as one adjusts to them good thing can happen. or not -"Murphy"s law- the youger generation may have no knowledge of such . so best wishes to fellow Smithy owner out there.

I recently bought a house that came with a Smithy CB-1220 XL Limited and everything you could want with it. I do not know how to use it and frankly do not have the time right now. If there is anyone who would give my smithy a good contact me at [email protected] for pictures and details

Are you looking for someone to buy the machine?

Tim

FYI My switch blew out again. I got to order another switch from Smithy.

Smithy Electronics

If anyone is interested in replacing the crappy electrical setup in their Smithy, I can probably give some direction. I have mine setup with a fair amount of complexity, but it's not too difficult just to replace the switch/relay with something a lot more reliable (not to mention safer).

Quote Originally Posted by Airstorm View Post
    If anyone is interested in replacing the crappy electrical setup in their Smithy, I can probably give some direction. I have mine setup with a fair amount of complexity, but it's not too difficult just to replace the switch/relay with something a lot more reliable (not to mention safer).
    Hi Airstorm,

I like to see a different version of the switch for powering up the Smithy machine. We just paid $65 dollars for a new one.

Tim

Hey Guys,
    Just replaced the switch in my 1340, I noticed that the coil on the relay is marked 50hz, I asked them about it and they said not to worry it would work. Well it does work but I'm concerned that it may not last very long. I've made several trips to Europe and had several 60hz power supplies give it up after a few uses on the 50hz over there. I've spent more years than I would like to admit to in electronics and have found that most 50hz coils/relays don't like 60hz and vice versa.
    Anybody have any thoughts or input?

Carl

It's all in mind.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by chollopeter View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Just replaced the switch in my 1340, I noticed that the coil on the relay is marked 50hz, I asked them about it and they said not to worry it would work. Well it does work but I'm concerned that it may not last very long. I've made several trips to Europe and had several 60hz power supplies give it up after a few uses on the 50hz over there. I've spent more years than I would like to admit to in electronics and have found that most 50hz coils/relays don't like 60hz and vice versa.
    Anybody have any thoughts or input?

Carl

Off the top of my head, I think a 50Hz coil on 60Hz power won't reach the rated current, and so the relay might not trip when it is supposed to. It shouldn't fry the relay, however (less current --> less heat --> shouldn't matter). If the relay is, in fact, tripping when it should, then all is probably ok.

A 60Hz coil on a 50Hz power line, on the other hand, will have more current then intended, and may eventually fail do to overheating.

I'm going on first-principals and my understanding of how these relays works, so if somebody chimes in with some "real world" experience, then weight their input more than mine.

Hello,

I purchased a new Granite 1340 Max (110V) in the Fall of 08’. It’s a great machine and paid for its self a couple times over. I’ve racked up a lot of hours on it and produced several garbage bags full of aluminum chips. There are some things I think they could improve on: a 3 or 5 speed pulley set up to speed up the head would be great, it’s a little slow for my taste, a direction change lever on the auto feed while its running would also be very use full along with some inspection ports on the X/Y to get at any FOD that can make its way to the gears.

If your limited on floor space the smaller foot print is important. After doing some projects on Jett, Mitsubishi and Bridgeport machines the quality of the Smithy is on par, there’s just more set up involved because it’s a 3 in 1. The accuracy of the scales is spot on, rigidity, quality and design features of the machine are great.

If your interested in getting one make sure you have a game plan together for getting the box to your house and getting it set up. An engine hoist is a must and taking the mill head off helps a lot, this is a big machine. Also don’t neglect the oil ports; it will keep everything running smoothly. :rainfro:

Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by trilect View Post
    I recently ordered a smithy 1220LTD. I hope I made a good choice, but I've never don't any decent machining before on a good machine so I'll be learning. I'll post pictures when I recieve my crate and set it up.
    I recently purched 1200LTD, when I started to use the machine I found that it would go into neutral. I placed a call to smithy web site, they told me that I would have fix this problem myself, it is in the manual. I told these people it is brand new, they told me I could ship back to them for another 300.00. So took this new machine and pulled it apart, and cutoff the cluch sleve, so after about 2 hours, this machine is working. After this mess I would not recomend this company or there tools.

Quote Originally Posted by djdjo1 View Post
    I recently purched 1200LTD, when I started to use the machine I found that it would go into neutral. I placed a call to smithy web site, they told me that I would have fix this problem myself, it is in the manual. I told these people it is brand new, they told me I could ship back to them for another 300.00. So took this new machine and pulled it apart, and cutoff the cluch sleve, so after about 2 hours, this machine is working. After this mess I would not recomend this company or there tools.
    Just curious - what did you expect them to do?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Just curious - what did you expect them to do?

Mike
    Realistically he problably didn't expect much more than he got. What's interesting is that they told him the fix was in the manual. That says they have known of the problem long enough to have put it in the machine manual.
    That whole system of running one motor and driving the mill through a bevel gear and dog clutch was a copy of the the old Shoptask machines from the early 80's. Shoptask dumped the whole concept more than 20 years ago. I think it's indicative of the lack of imagination at Smithy that they continue to sell these outdated designs.

I bought a CL1220 some five years ago. Has done everything I have put to it. Found I should have gone with a longer bed. I solved that by getting a longer bed from a machine that had a broken mill head (and "made" by a different company). Be aware- most machines are really made in China for a number of companies. I had to make a few changes to the bed to take the control panel/covers, but the important parts were there. The new lead screw was some work, but all said and done- .0002 for 36 inches of length is pretty darn good. PS- Played around with small 100# table model for a bit before I got the Smithy, so making the conversion to the longer bed was first big job. One way to learn i guess. Has paid for itself in projects for myself and friends by not having to pay a machinist or gunsmith. Next big project will be to add cnc hardware. Do not think it will be that bad.

Page 1 of 2 12