585,973 active members*
4,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Machining Molybdenum on a lathe

Machining Molybdenum on a lathe

In general, you're more likely to get an answer if you actually ask a question.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Any tips

I'm machining 1 inch bar on a cnc lathe.........mostly ID work...drill,bore and 9/16 thread....I'm having a hard time with feeds and speeds...:rainfro:

Any tips

Anyone out there today?

This site has been a great help(nuts)

There are a few of us out here, but at least in the US, today is a holiday.

I also suspect that there are probably not many members who have ever machined this particular metal.

Those two factors together probably mean that it might take you a while to get a reply.

Are you talking raw molybdenum, or an alloy?

Tom

Give it time; this is not a machinists call-center. Also, it will help if you lose the attitude and the emoticons too- people are less likely to help sarcastic know-it-alls. Apologize and wait; see what happens.

Thanks

I'm not a know it all by any means.....just under a little preasure to get this job going......I forgot it was a holiday..my bad

The meterial is raw molybdenum....it keeps gumming up on me

I'm sorry I've never worked with that material and have little lathe experience myself.

You say the material is gumming up; I've heard that term in relation to copper- perhaps a quick seach how to deal with copper gumming up turning operation might lead to a few clues to to deal with it.

Gumming up can sometimes be cured with the right cutting fluid. With soft gummy materials I've always had better success using a thin fluid as opposed to pure cutting oil. I used to make a mixture of about half cutting oil and half mineral spirits. I've also had overall better success with this mixture over water-based coolant.

Machining Molybdenum

This type of metal is used everyday in Physics labs around the world. Although I have not machined this metal yet, I would contact your closest Physics department and ask for information. They would probably be happy to supply it. Check out this link;http://www.daleengineering.com/what_is_molybdenum.html
    Unlike tantalum, niobium, titanium and zirconium; molybdenum is not subject to hydrogen embrittlement, because of this property, it is a main component in the ARC-REACTOR.
    Or contact them;DALE ENGINEERING A Precision CNC Machine Shop specializing in small to medium size components made from Molybdenum and exotic metals. 3 Alfred Circle Bedford, MA 01730 | Phone: 781-541-6055.

I hope this helps,

Iron-Man

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    Gumming up can sometimes be cured with the right cutting fluid. With soft gummy materials I've always had better success using a thin fluid as opposed to pure cutting oil. I used to make a mixture of about half cutting oil and half mineral spirits. I've also had overall better success with this mixture over water-based coolant.
    Thanks Blades!!!!

I also noticed higher rpm and sueface speed really did the trick....I turned the coolant off during the threading and squirted tap-magic in the hole and the threads came out real nice...you are so right on the water based coolant..the threads were getting real gummy.

Great, glad to hear it worked out for you. Tap Magic is awesome stuff, so is Cool Tool.