585,555 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mikinimech > ANYONE Own a Mikini Mech???

ANYONE Own a Mikini Mech???

The last post here regarding Mikini Mech CNC was a while back and all the other small mills in this range seem to have at least some posts, feedback, etc.

There is very little info and I'm very interested in what I see, but need to hear from some real people who have this equipment from Mikini and are happy with not only the machine, but the service as well.

PLEASE, if you have a Mikini, tell me about your product??

You might get better results if you actually asked the question in your topic heading. What you posted and how you posted it (all caps) all but guarantees your topic will be ignored.

Your questions are however legitimate. Do a forum search on Mikini and see what you find. I just came across someone in another thread who has one. I will ask him to post a feedback thread in the forum here.

bob

THanks, You mentioned to do a search. I've done just that and don't find much except one post which has very limited info. I don't expect as many people to reply as Tormach, but there needs to be much more info on Mikini to get an honest opinion of the class of machine.

It seems to have a nice enclosure, and nice options, linear rails, etc. I get all that. What I want is personal experiences from users, etc?? Thanks again and any info will help..

I'm in the same boat. I think I want one, but I want to talk to some current users. There isn't much info on here, which is odd. Maybe everyone is busy making $ on parts and they no longer have time to post?! ; )

It is the most expensive machine I am looking at, and it lags some of the competition in a few areas (the stepper motor torque, the machining envelope), but I love that it is fully enclosed, the electronics and pendant interface, the mass and the frame design, etc. I just do NOT want to have any buyer's remorse!!!

I have had numerous e-mails back and forth the Phil at the company, and he has answered all my questions, I just really would like to get some real world feedback from some users who should have an "unbiased" opinion...

There seems to be a guy Howe CNC Services who apparently is on the list on the East Coast (I'm in NJ) but he is in New Hampshire; he is on the list to demo the machine and has an agreement to demo the machine directly with Mikini. I'm sure there are others in other areas.

I spoke to Phil today actually and he was very nice, answered the phone within two rings and speaks very intelligently about the machine. Some things in comparison to note.

1. The system has a complete independent design totally designed from the ground up in SolidWorks. The casting of the frame is done (like everything) in China, but specifically for Mikini. It is not a cast frame from a manual mill conversion.
    2. All 3 axis have linear bearings. (a huge plus in comparison to the Tormach, etc)
    3. The Spindle is a brushless DC motor not an AC motor limiting torque, etc.
    4. The axis front cover is stainless aluminum and not a cheap accordion style plastic.
    5. The entire system has an enclosure, lighting, manual option and control screen, etc.

In my opinion and believe me I'm just learning, but there is nothing even close to this for this price. It is easy to say that Tormach 1100 is a comparison, but it is not even close in comparison when looking. First of all the Tormach only has 1.5 horsepower. it has a AC spindle, not as heavy or ridged, and no linear bearing option. And to be honest, when I'm pricing the Tormach, it is almost the 10,000 with the mill, coolant and stand, etc.

I am NOT sure I can afford the Mikini, but think if not will choose the Novakon because the Gecko drivers on the Novakon seem easy to find and all electronics in the system seem to be higher end then Tormach. The 200 mill from Novakon has a linear bearing on the Z axis and a 3hp motor and is heavier.

I am still looking to find out more info and if I can afford will definitely choose Mikini. they said they are coming out with a full production machine with tool changer, etc, etc. however this machine will be $23,000 or so

There is a LOT to like on the Mikini, so I won't mention those. The few potential downsides I see are:

1. Low torque rating on the steppers - may not be an issue since the spindle is so powerful
    2. Of machines in its price range, it has the smallest XYZ envelope
    3. Price
    4. Short warranty (6 months vs. std of 12).

That's about it. In my opinion there are lots of positive attributes that "likely" offset this pretty short list of negatives. The one that gives me most pause is the work envelope. I need to make sure I "can" machine the things I "want" to machine (size wise)...

Huh, didn't know only 6 month warranty. That makes me think a little. Kind of weird only a 6 month?? You are right, small workspace. Overall, nice machine. I need to take a look in person first. Hope someone steps up and reviews theirs, shows photos, etc.

I spoke to Allen last night. He had good things to say about his machine. His is the v1, the newer machines are v2. Sounds like the main change was the electronics systems/boards used that are custom to the machine.

Overall a good discussion, and no reason to shy away from the Mikini.

Also, I am trying to link any available Mikini posts over to the Mikinimech forum in this thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...108#post783108

Overall I like my mikini mill. I have one of the very early models number 6 in fact. As such there have been some issues primarily around the Spindle Motor controller.

The service from Phil has been excellent though and he is upgrading my mill to the V 2.0 spindle controller. I am hopeful that once that is in it will all be smooth sailing. I will post back here after I have run the V 2 spindle controller for a while. Phil tells me it is more reliable and I believe him because he has always been a straight shooter so I am not too worried.

Of course if you are buying one of the new mills you are getting a V2 design that has been bedded in somewhat. So I doubt you would even have the problems I have had. I kinda knew going in what I was getting in to buying a very early model. But the upsides on the machine made me think it was worth the risk. And I still feel that way.

The main take away from the design to me is accuracy and repeatability from the linear rails the P4 ball screws and the Abec7 P4 AC spindle bearings and the super tight R8 taper this thing is all about accuracy I think.

I have never had a days trouble out of the steppers or anything else really. Just that V1 spindle controller has given me fits.

I would really love to hear from howecnc because he has both a Tormach PCNC 1100 and the Mikini 1610L (must be nice!). But since he has both he's the guy to ask for a comparison. Since I don't have access to a Tormach I could not give a fair comparison and I prefer side by comparisons to conjecture and lore if you know what I mean.

Anyway that's my .02

I am still around guys. I like both my machines. For the pricing you can't go wrong with either machine. Each machine has its strong points. If you do your own research and pick the machine that fits your needs best you won't go wrong. I am sure Phil from Mikini would tell you the same thing.

If you guys have specific questions post them or e-mail me at [email protected] and I will do my best to reply in a timely fashion.

Anyone that wants to make the trip to NH is more than welcome to see my machines and what I have been able to do with them. I will give an honest answers and opinions.

I own a Mikini!

Hi All,

I purchased my Mikini in December and received it early January 2010.
    The machine has been great! I've cut mostly Aluminum with the machine but currently I am machinining 12 parts from A2 toolsteel the parts are 2.5" X 4" and range in thickness from 1/4" to 3/8", the machine is doing a great job with the tuff mat'l. The full inclosure does a nice job keeping the chips contained.

Phil at Mikini has been very responsive to all my questions and helped me getting the machine up and running.

I also purchased the 4th axis rotary table, it's a nice compact unit and works great. I haven't made anything with the 4th axis but hope to soon.

I'm in Massachusetts and would be happy to show off my Machine to anyone.

I've been machining and programing all types of machine tools for over 40 years and currently programing a pair of Makino A51's Horizontal Machining Centers with a 20 pallet automated cell system. (about a 3 million dollar system)

Makinos are high end machines and are very nice and after all that I am still impressed with the ability, repetability and accuacy of my Mikini 1610.

Gerry

Smile Ummm nice!

Quote Originally Posted by gerwent View Post
    Hi All,

I purchased my Mikini in December and received it early January 2010.
    The machine has been great! I've cut mostly Aluminum with the machine but currently I am machinining 12 parts from A2 toolsteel the parts are 2.5" X 4" and range in thickness from 1/4" to 3/8", the machine is doing a great job with the tuff mat'l. The full inclosure does a nice job keeping the chips contained.

Phil at Mikini has been very responsive to all my questions and helped me getting the machine up and running.

I also purchased the 4th axis rotary table, it's a nice compact unit and works great. I haven't made anything with the 4th axis but hope to soon.

I'm in Massachusetts and would be happy to show off my Machine to anyone.

I've been machining and programing all types of machine tools for over 40 years and currently programing a pair of Makino A51's Horizontal Machining Centers with a 20 pallet automated cell system. (about a 3 million dollar system)

Makinos are high end machines and are very nice and after all that I am still impressed with the ability, repetability and accuacy of my Mikini 1610.

Gerry
    Hi Gerry. Nice to hear about a machine with no problems.. A Makino fan eh! I went to their Factory in Japan, WOW. The A51, like all the Makino, Okuma and Yasda are awesome machines. Very high quality. I can understand how it is/would be difficult to come back to your own personal machine that, is well, less than satisfactory on a $ for $ basis. "if ya can't make it well (quality product) don't make it al all". I'm erring on the side of the Mikuni, but still need more info from Phil. Regards Peter (dirtridn2010).