585,749 active members*
3,875 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234
    please help,,

what is the wiring configuration of the cable for nc studio..

thanks

The cable is just a standard DB25 parallel cable... however many parallel cables intended for printers do not have all pins connected as printers only use about 1/2 of the available pins.
    You need a parallel cable with all pins connected as ncstudio uses more pins for communication than a standard printer cable.
    This is a straight-through connection... pin 1 on the male side of the parallel cable runs to pin 1 on the female side and so on.
    I was able to find a suitable 25' parallel cable on ebay for like $25

The image posted above by dbl_tap shows the exact pinout of the parallel cable pins used by ncstudio... the cable has 25 pins but i believe only 15 are used. I confirmed this pin connection schematic myself with multimeter and tracing connections from the breakout board to all controllers, limit switches and spindle. I found my problem was caused by a broken pin #15 and so I was not getting the 5vdc necessary from the ncstudio card to the breakout board.
    here is the communication direction of the pins and grounding for general reference of a standard parallel port.
    However this does not connect to the parallel port, rather the NCstudio card which uses the pins completely different... for example a printer uses pins 10-13 for return communication whereas ncstudio uses pins 6-8 for returning limit switch status.
    so you can see why some printer cables do not have all pins connected. just make sure you get a cable with all pins connected.
    If you can find one, look for a shielded cable to prevent emf as 220v equipment can generate strong fields.... just in case

Re: NcStudio help needed.

I see on this board there is a symbol 对 刀 - that is on the side away from the view and from this pic you can see in the opposite connector there os a wire short. Is this for the touchoff wire??

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    The wiring diagram from DBL looks correct, I didnt have that diagram when trouble popped up and had to manually trace out each wire, they do match my notes.
    The breakout card does not use optical-isolators, just straight connections from the card. You can find the 15-pin cables and connectors on ebay.
    I found my copy of NCStudio... it's version 5.4.53 and does include drivers for windows.

What do you mean by 'touchoff'?
    Every port has a purpose... from axis controller to limit switch

Hey viroy basically a plate that I enjoy would place on the surface of the material and bring the z axis down till it touches. The calibration plate or calibrator. Anyway this evening I did some tests and found that symbol was exactly for that

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

oh a resistance based touch off sensor... I dont use that feature as I dont work with metal all the time.
    You are using that with NCstudio? what did you enable in the settings to get that to work?

There are many touch off indicators with a flat bottom, I bought one and love it... basically just measure the distance from the bottom of the touch off to a specific measurement, and then you place it on the surface material to be machined. once the bit touches the dial indicator, its simple math to find zero of the work surface.
    Then theres also the basic touch off method, use a piece of paper and add .01 to the Z after touching off.

Hey viroy I actually didn't do anything. I checked the machine was well earthed then tested voltage between the chassis and the pin on the machine side board where the parallel cable plugs into. Then I started the ncstudio software and went to the io window. The first item is calibration or something and has a red indicator. With a wire that has a Croc clip on each end I clipped to earth then touched the pin and the calibrator light turned green. So it seems by default to be working. Perhaps I can calibrate the machine now as mechanical and workspace coordinates are different. If I hit the limit switch on X axis mechanical still shows 46.xx and workpiece coords are 0.00

lol that is a limit switch. does ncstudio put up a warning and stop when it is triggered?
    its supposed to be used to keep your machine from crashing... if you bought the machine, it will almost certainly have an X & Y limit switch attached, but not a Z as nobody knows what length bits you will use. mine is setup this way, the Z-axis limit switch port is not used.
    You are sorta using it backwards, instead of making it go to a low state when the travel limit is reached, you are making it trigger on contact with the work piece.
    very interesting use of a limit switch port!

Interesting because I was searching for info and I found the info on the calibration and I believe that was what or was said to be. I also use paper or I jog to a piece to be thrown and I start the spindle jog z down till it just touches then back up 0.01 etc

Hey viroy I remember now. In the io state window pin j1-01 is for calibration and that is the one that goes green when grounded. The next j1-06/07/08 are the limit switches

Does anyone know where I can get ncstudio 8??

Dear shearder,

Enclosed is demo Ncstudio V8
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzrou1mmqh...6A_std_ex7.exe
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qt39zlgbhqlet7g/OIFbMZVkrH

Any question about Ncstudio, warmly welcome to contact me
    Gmail: [email protected]

Best Regards

Thanks so much Charles. Appreciate that

hi shearder, how is your machine now? any questions, warmly welcome to write mail to me.

Hey Charles it is going very well. I cut @4000mm/min most if the time with no issues

I am very happy. I am planning laser next 18 months - 24 months
    Quote Originally Posted by charles_weihong View Post
    hi shearder, how is your machine now? any questions, warmly welcome to write mail to me.

hey shearder, nice to hear, yeah... 4000/min no problem, also we can try faster speed as 8000mm/min, Our V12 is for Laser/Plasma cutting.

That sounds good. I will try 8000 for shallow cuts and see how it goes

Any question, warmly welcome to write to me.

Thanks again Charles

wow 8000mm/m feed speed? what material are you cutting, how deep and what size/type bit?

Page 2 of 4 1234