584,863 active members*
4,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Seeking advice on engraver/router

Seeking advice on engraver/router

Greetings

Seeing that this is my first post and I didn't spot a proper place for new people introduce themselves I figured that I might as well use this opportunity to do just that.

I'd like to extend my greetings and I'd like to say that despite me being new at this I hope to amass enough information that I can give some help in return later.

The world of cnc machines have so far not been in my scopes but I have a persistent backer(pusher) that has employed me to traverse these lands in hopes of finding a suitable machine to suit his purposes.

That employer happens to be my father who, as myself, is no more, than a dabbler in these arts and has as such not acquired much knowledge to further his intentions.

What we are seeking is a cnc router that is can engrave finely enough to write names and images unto a fly fishing box but large enough in itself to be able to handle larger jobs. My father has also expressed an interrest in a machine that can shape wood, just to give an example in the shape of a stock of a firearm. From what I've seen a 3 axl machine should be able to do that but I personally would like to have the option to upgrade to a 4 axl one.
    My father is a carpenter by trade and does some woodworking as a hobby but seeing that he is quite limited in time these days he would like a way to automate some of the more routine things and I happened to suggest that a cnc machine might just be what he was looking for.

This machine is here something that we've been looking at

http://www.k2cnc.com/shop/proddetail...2514-09&cat=26

but I must confess that all the options and extra parts are somewhat daunting. I get most of it but I'm not sure what is really needed and if something is just for more specialized jobs. (am I right in that the basic item before any extras is just the frame?)

I'm not sure if that machine is the optimal one for us but it at least seems to be on the right track.

Here are some images to give an idea of what I mean by engraving in fly fishing boxes. These boxes are some of the ones we've sent away to have engraved.

Boxes

In the end I'd like to add that the machine I mentioned before is just something that we've been pondering but we're completely open to any suggestion. I'd also like to apologize if I'm breaking any rule about first posts.

If you've had the patience to read to the end I'd like to say thanks for any tip or suggestion you might have for me and take care.

-Daniel

I think a laser engraver would hive you a better look at faster speeds. Unless you want to do inlay.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Thank you for your reply. I had completely forgot to mention that the boxes in the link below were engraved using a laser.

We are now taking a look in that direction as well but I'll hazard a guess that it will be a while before we purchase a machine
    since I'm a very nervous buyer, especially at the prices I've seen so far and we're pretty new at this.

I wouldn't be averse if anyone could suggest a robust laser engraver that at least approaches the fidelity seen on the images or even
    a router if anyone springs to mind.

-Daniel