585,888 active members*
5,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bystronic 5" Laser cutting head

Hi,

We build flatbed trailers and specialized machinery in Maryland. We just installed a 4,000 watt Bystronic 3015 laser, and are learning the ropes. It's great to have a place to go where we can both learn and maybe make some contribution as well.

Our machine has two 7-1/2" cutting heads, but we are learning that we need a 5" cutting head for the thinner metals and to increase speed.

If you have any advice, we're open.

John

bystronic

Hello
    The 5'' head is different just inside more exactly were is the lens holder.If you have 2 heads you could order the iner tube from bystronic and you got yourself a new 5'' head after you ajust the focal position .
    See you

5" Bystronic Head

Thanks for the suggestion. We were hoping to swap one of our 7-1/2" heads for a 5" head if anyone had a need to do so.

bystronic 5"head

It is an idea to swap with somebody the 7.5" with 5" but be carefully the cut control and other parts if are damage are more expensive to buy from Bystronic. Some times the cut control is being damaged more quickly on the 5"head then on 7.5". I have change until now 3 cut control sensor in the last 4 years and just 1 for 7.5".
    If you want to share different maintenance problems with Bystronic laser machines fill free to post them here.

Thanks

Re: Bystronic 5" Laser cutting head

Hi All,
    We cut Mild steel up to 15mm on our 2.2kw bystronic bysprint. Also Stainless up to 8mm.

When we bought the machine second hand a year or so ago, it came with a 5" and 7.5" head. The question is... Can we cut everything with the 7.5" head, and not use the 5" head??

At present we use both, 5" for 0 - 3mm, 7.5" if over 3mm thick.

From my thinking i can't see why we cant just use one 7.5" head because this will still be able to focus in the full range we require??

Thanks for any reply.
    Best regards, SJClaser.

Re: Bystronic 5" Laser cutting head

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaser View Post
    Hi All,
    We cut Mild steel up to 15mm on our 2.2kw bystronic bysprint. Also Stainless up to 8mm.

When we bought the machine second hand a year or so ago, it came with a 5" and 7.5" head. The question is... Can we cut everything with the 7.5" head, and not use the 5" head??

At present we use both, 5" for 0 - 3mm, 7.5" if over 3mm thick.

From my thinking i can't see why we cant just use one 7.5" head because this will still be able to focus in the full range we require??

Thanks for any reply.
    Best regards, SJClaser.
    The point of having two heads it to get two different focal length ranges....one for thick material, one for thin. If you could cut everything with just one head, the machines would not come with a 5.0 and a 7.5 head.

You can experiment and see, but I'm pretty sure you are not going to be able to get the focal distance right if you try to cut thin (under 3mm) with the 7.5 head. Same reason you can't just run one nozzle size for every material....too many variables if you want a good cut. These aren't bandsaws....you are pushing a light beam through a piece of metal

Also, check your cutting parameters on the controller? Depending on what your machine version/model is...it won't let you have the "wrong" head in.....so if it wants to use the 7.5" head, that's what has to be in the machine for that material type.