585,997 active members*
5,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Help identifying these collets

Help identifying these collets

I have a "Big" (brand) spindle speeder and it comes with some collets, but I need collets in other sizes. It has two different collet nuts for different-sized collets. The one on the left (B) looks like some "TG" collets I found at Maritool, but the sizes don't seem to match up. I also found other sizes of TG collets on the web, but can't find specs on them.

What I need is a 1/4" collet. The top piece (C) is an adapter that converts 3/8" (of collet B) to 3/16". Perhaps someone makes a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter?

Unfortunately, I forgot my sheet of paper with my measured dimensions at the shop, so I'll have to get those tomorrow. But IIRC, the opening ID of nut A is something like 0.55", and the opening ID of nut D is around 0.46". The hole in B fits a 3/8" endmill (or the adapter C). The hole in collet E fits a 1/8" endmill.

Thanks,
    -Neil.

Those almost look like these (Link). But without measurements there is no way to know.
    John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

I know, I screwed up by forgetting the dimensions, but here they are now...

Big Diashowa Tooling

If the tooling you refer to is called BIG, I think you need Big Diashowa who are Japan No1 spindle tooling manufacturer, and they produce an 8 degree collet system like my old employer Nikken Kosakusho (but their collet will not interchange). You can try here for spares and ask for David James, or go to: http://www.big-daishowa.com/index.php NB. like every thing you get what you pay for, so make sure you are sitting down when you ask for them prices!
    regards
    Alan

Good leads, thanks! I also came up with a back-up plan to machine a 3/8" to 1/4" sleeve if it comes to that.

Cheers,
    -Neil.