585,573 active members*
3,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Canadian Club House > Johnston plastics for HDPE and other plastics in canada

Johnston plastics for HDPE and other plastics in canada

It took me a long time to find a good source for HDPE in Canada before I came across Johnston plastics.

I needed a 3/4" piece 2'x4'. I called them at like 2 PM and told them what I needed and that I would be in to pick it up the next day, gave them a CC number. They called back at 3 saying it was ready for pickup anytime.

It cost me a total of $63 including cutting and tax. That is cheaper than most online retailers, even before shipping! They said that they could arrange shipping had it been necessary. I stopped in and had my piece in less than 3 minutes. Perfect!

Just thought I'd give them a fee plug and let other Canadians know where they can get plastics at a decent price. Just call/email for price quotes. A few places I called would only sell full 4x8 sheets, but these guys had no problem selling smaller pieces.
    JGRO Complete - G540, 380oz Nema23s, 1/2-10 ACME, 30"x14", Craftsman router
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Hi, Dustin.

I looked at the Johnston Plastic website but did not see the HDPE. Then again, my "plastic" knowledge is severely limited.

I also noticed that you're using a Craftsman router. I'm scratch building a 24" X 36" and plan to use the Canadian Tire 11A 2HP Mastercraft Maximum plunge router that was on sale not too long ago. Making slow progress....

Did you document your build on the CNCZONE?

Hey,

I just gave Johnston a call and they gave me a quote over the phone. They have all kinds of plastics.

I never did a build log, and I'm still fine tuning. I am actually using the machine to re cut all of the gantry parts and using HDPE adjustment blocks. The machine is bang on on the ends, but seems to go out about 1/50" in the center due to flex. I'm hoping the new gantry and adjustment blocks help.
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Quote Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
    It took me a long time to find a good source for HDPE in Canada before I came across Johnston plastics.
    Fortunately we have an office where I am, been using them for years, they always have had what I needed in stock.
    Re your avatar, I did some work at the MG factory in UK for a while, many years ago.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Fortunately we have an office where I am, been using them for years, they always have had what I needed in stock.
    Re your avatar, I did some work at the MG factory in UK for a while, many years ago.
    Al.
    lol. Most people have no idea what the avatar is. I'm a big fan of the pre 80s british cars.

I have an '80 Midget that is completely torn down. It's getting a 250+ HP Nissan 2.0 turbo along with proper suspension and drivetrain.

I'd love to find an early 50s TD or TF and I've always got an eye open for a good deal on an Etype or a late50s/early60s healey.
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

@koc62
    "I looked at the Johnston Plastic website but did not see the HDPE. Then again, my "plastic" knowledge is severely limited."

Here is the link from their wp for the HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene)
    http://www.johnstonplastics.com/mech_hdp.htm

Its under the mechanical tab

Their website is poor and incomplete, just give the one nearest you a call.
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

I live in TO, and there are plastic places all over town. Just hit the yellow pages.

In Edmonton try Redwood plastics, I used to use them weekly at work. Cheaper than Johnson but don't carry some of the more exotic stuff.
    Live free or die

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give them a try next time too.
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress