584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > ARE SMITHY MACHINES USED / REBUILT?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: ARE SMITHY MACHINES USED / REBUILT?

I just got a Smithy 1324 I-Max with a build date of August 2013 - Mind you that it is August 2017. Some areas look as if they were weekly spray bombed touch ups. Worse than that I found Chips in the Gear Casing that didn't come from me. What a mistake - An expensive mistake...

I kind of wonder where would you get enough used machines to make a business out of rebuilding them and with the cost of new machines by the container load direct from China so low why even bother?

Quote Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
    I kind of wonder where would you get enough used machines to make a business out of rebuilding them and with the cost of new machines by the container load direct from China so low why even bother?
    Maybe a demo they had in their showroom for a few years and they figured- " it's not really used machine since it was never sold"

Quote Originally Posted by SANER View Post
    I just got a Smithy 1324 I-Max with a build date of August 2013 - Mind you that it is August 2017. Some areas look as if they were weekly spray bombed touch ups. Worse than that I found Chips in the Gear Casing that didn't come from me. What a mistake - An expensive mistake...
    pics?

things to note with machinery:
    - it could be a few years before part gets used in a machine.
    - it could be a few years before an assembled machine gets delivered to the customer.
    - paint, unfortunately can be an after thought even on nice quality machines, and when damaged during assembly or shipping, they would indeed just spray bomb it.
    - chips may come from a cutting test of the machine when assembled.

that all said though, pics. cause youve posted this in an ancient thread that was basically made to make up stories about a competitors product. so you kinda need to show what your talking about before anyone is going to pay it any mind.

Hello,

We DO NOT import used machines, I am not sure where this information is coming from, but it simply isn't true. We do sell "used machines" from time to time, but they generally are something that never made it to the customer because of shipping damage. If the crate is damaged during shipping, and customer refuses delivery, it will be returned to us. We make sure machine complies with factory specs, and list it as new.

SANER, please give us a call to discuss your issue. We generally sell out of a particular model before a new shipment arrives. No manual machines sit on our floor for more than 2 months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kadesmithy View Post
    Hello,

We DO NOT import used machines, I am not sure where this information is coming from, but it simply isn't true. We do sell "used machines" from time to time, but they generally are something that never made it to the customer because of shipping damage. If the crate is damaged during shipping, and customer refuses delivery, it will be returned to us. We make sure machine complies with factory specs, and list it as new.

SANER, please give us a call to discuss your issue. We generally sell out of a particular model before a new shipment arrives. No manual machines sit on our floor for more than 2 months.

Thanks
    Tracing that old link supplied by Flatheadford49- here is a copy of one of your orders-

Bill of Lading

SHIPPER
    Shandong Linyi Jinxing Machine Tool
    Co.,ltd. Northern Section Of Hu Xi
    Road
    Linyi Cn

CONSIGNEE
    Overland Inc.d.b.a.
    Smithy Company 170 Aprill Drive
    Ann Arbor
    Arbor Mi 48103 Us

NOTIFY PARTIES
    Expeditors International,11101
    Metro Airport Center Drive,building
    M2,suite 110
    Romulus Mi 48174 Us

PACKAGING INFORMATION
    Weight : 10,473 KG Measurement : 28 CM
    Quantity : 56 PKG
    SHIPMENT DETAIL

Carrier Code : FTPA Origin :
    Vessel Name : Sealand Charger U.S. Port : 2709 - Long Beach, California
    Voyage : 1008 Foreign Port : 57047 - Qingdao, China
    B/L : FTPAFQ04453 U.S. Dest :
    Pre Carrier : Qingdao Foreign Dest :
    Vessel Code : 9143001 Mode of Transport : 10
    Inbond Code : 00 Arrival Date : 2010-04-25
    COMMODITIES
    Container Qty Commodity Description
    MEDU2238201 56 Lathes, Horiz, Used/rebuilt Multi-purpose Machines
    MARKS & NUMBERS
    Container Marks & Numbers
    MEDU2238201 Smithy P.o.7791 Detroit No.1-3/1-2/1-2/1-16 Made In China

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will not find any company buying used/rebuilt 3 n1 machines.
    China doesn't make anything like these for their domestic market, all 3 n 1 machines are for export only, i.e. Europe, or Americas. Castings are the least expensive part of the process, its the precision parts, Fit/Finish, and product support that make up the majority of the cost.

The bill of lading is pretty clear that they are used/rebuilt machines- but it's an old thread, maybe before you went to work for them. Actually there is a market for the 3 in 1 machines in the Chinese domestic market, usually to small shops and for the lowest quality units, so it's possible to buy them and then spruce them up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by jdclark View Post
    The bill of lading is pretty clear that they are used/rebuilt machines-.
    the bill of landing for my weiss manual mill direct from weiss in china says home appliance.

the bill of landing for my new german siemens ac servos off ebay said used machine parts and made in usa.

i would not make anything of what category an item gets put in in customs. it can be all over the place, for any number of reasons. in the case of the siemens motors, the customs officer just didnt know where to put it so he picked something at random that just had gst and no duty.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    the bill of landing for my weiss manual mill direct from weiss in china says home appliance.

the bill of landing for my new german siemens ac servos off ebay said used machine parts and made in usa.

i would not make anything of what category an item gets put in in customs. it can be all over the place, for any number of reasons. in the case of the siemens motors, the customs officer just didnt know where to put it so he picked something at random that just had gst and no duty.
    Customs does choose the category, that is done by the import broker, but customs officers being bureaucrats are less than efficient in verifying that all documents are correct, so a clever importer might sneak a few shipments through under a false classification and avoid paying his fair share of taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by SANER View Post
    This is an old thread, but I saw a post on FB from a guy who said the same thing- With those 25% tariffs on Chinese imports, it would be pretty tempting for a company to classify their machines as "used"

Page 2 of 2 12