585,729 active members*
4,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tool length offset

the tool length measuring device is not working according to some failure, so i have to get a new one from the supplier, this will take some days.

now all i want is : how to measure the tool length offset manually without any devices ??

control is Fanuc 0imc

thank you all

Measure the Height of the tool setter when it is pushed down for contact. Use that as a reference point for all your tools. Then perhaps your active programs will work without modification on the depths. Some shops just touch off the work surface and set the tool length there. But your current programs will not work as the depth of cut will be way off.
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

sorry i did not understand !!!
    you mean that i shall have a reference point out side the work piece instead of the touch sensor device (because it's now outside the machine) then do what ??

i need the procedure but step by step in order to understand.

thank you all

TOOL CHANGE NOT WORKING

HELLO TO ALL,
    WE ARE HAVING LITZHITECH M/C WITH MITSUBISHI CONTROLER-MELDOS64. TODAY THE SPINDEL HEAD BANG THE BED BECAUSE THE Z SETTING IS WROUNG. AFTER THAT THE TOOL CNT CHANGE, WHEN THE THING HAPPEN THE M/C IN T1. IF I CHANGE THE TOOL IT GIVE (ARM OVERTIME) ERROR.

PLES SOME ONE HELP ME FOR THIS..........

THANKS,
    ARUN.G

you can make separated thread for your problem in the fanuc forum not in my own thread, so everyone can read it and may one person help you

Why can't you use your part surface as the reference point for tool length measurement. I use this method all the time.

Dear Boots,

sorry for disturbance you,

but suppose that i have 3 different tools , and i will consider the work piece surface is the reference point, now i will make zero return in Z axis, so the machine coordinate is Z=0

then shall i make each tool touch the reference point (work piece surface)
    then take the value and input it in tool offset table

now, which value shall i put in offset table?? (i mean relative or machine ??)

and when i want to use T1 as example, shall i type :

G54 G43 T1 H1 Z0 ; ??

It's ok to ask more questions ...as most of us are glad to help.
    When you touch your work surface with tool number 1, look at Machine position in the Z direction. This will be your tool length for tool number 1. Depending on how far you move the machine this number could be -508mm (-20.0 inches) . Do all your tools the same way. In your work offset page for G54 position the top of your work should be your Z 0.0 position. To verify you are correct in MDI input G0 G54 G43 T1 H1 Z0 . The tool should come down to the work surface. To get your tool to cut you will need a minus (-) number to go below your work surface. All program moves to cut will be in the minus direction. I hope this makes sence to you. Use your feed override button to slow down the machine so you don't crash if you have made a mistake.

then shall i make each tool touch the reference point (work piece surface)
    then take the value and input it in tool offset table ?

YES

ok Boots,

thanks for your help

i have one more question

now tool number 1 at -508.00 at machine coordinates, so i will take this value and input it in G54 (work piece offset) (i.e Z -508.00) and in the tool offset page, the tool offset for tool number 1 will be 0, so when i Type G0 G54 G43 T1 H1 Z0; it will come to the work piece surface.

now for tool number 2 : suppose that the machine coordinates shows -400.00 (when tool number 2 is in touch with work piece), what shall be the number in tool offset page for tool number 2 ??

i do not want to edit G54 value for this new tool (because i have several tools in the same program)

now tool number 1 at -508.00 at machine coordinates, so i will take this value and input it in G54 (work piece offset) (i.e Z -508.00)
    ]No. This number goes into your offset page for tool number 1.

now for tool number 2 : suppose that the machine coordinates shows -400.00 (when tool number 2 is in touch with work piece), what shall be the number in tool offset page for tool number 2 ??

The G54 Work offset Z should be 0.0

So if you go into MDI and input G0 G54 G43 T1 H1 Z0; it will come to the work piece surface. Because the machine will look at the offset for H1 and move in the Z direction the amount you have stored there (-508.00)

In your work offset page for G54 it should read something like.
    X20.0
    Y20.0
    Z 0.0 (your work surface)

Boots, this is working Great, thank you very much for your help.

but suppose that i did that for the T1 and T2 and after some machining, the work piece zero point (which is at the work piece surface) disappeared then one of the tools (T2) is broken, so i will install new tool at T2 . at this case i will not be able to make this tools touch the work piece surface (work piece zero ) because it's already machined !!!

is it clear for you sir ?

any way i appreciate your effort with me a lot and again thank you very much.

Yes this does happen. In that case you have to set your new tool off of the work piece on a flat area that is known. For instance.... if you are cutting -.3mm deep and the tool breaks for some reason. Just replace the tool-Bring down to the step you have machined at -.3mm (by hand like you were going to set before) then raise the tool .3mm and read the machine Z. This will be your new tool offset for that tool.

I'm glad to hear it is working for you. You are quite welcome too Sir.

thanks again for helping me.

it's a good idea too.

appreciate your effort.

Here is another good idea.
    Put a dial indicator into the spindle (you can use a drill chuck for this) bring the head down untill indicator makes contact with your work surface. Set indicator to zero in your machine cordinate page either set the register to zero or make note of the number you see in the Z .
    Move off your work surface and bring the indicator down to the machine table until the indicator reads zero. Now subtract the two numbers and you will have the distance from your table to the top of your work surface. Once you know this number you can make a tool setter pin (about 1.4 mm diameter) . Put the bar stock into a lathe and cut it just a little bit long then use a surface grinder to make it the exact length you need.
    Now you can set all your tools off of this pin anytime you need to. Etch on the side of the pin either the job number or the length of it for future use. Keep nearby the machine but not to leave it on the table.
    I hope you can follow this thinking.
    This works well for me on a 4th axes (indexer) when the parts are round. I set the Z 0.0 work offset to the centerline of the indexer thus the centerline of the part. Now I can machine all kinds of cuts into the part and can replace a tool anytime with out starting over.