585,719 active members*
4,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > CAD CAM Demo strategy questions?

Question CAD CAM Demo strategy questions?

Hi,
    I have a Taig mill with the Deskcnc/Imservice 3 axis system. I have run some of the demo files and am ready to begin drawing my parts.

I have not tried any CAD/CAM software other than the Deskcnc CAM that came with the system.

I want to do 2, 2.5D, 3D and intend to purchase a 4th axis in the near future.

Being new to this, I am looking for advice on which demo's to try first.

My budget is about $1500. What are the best CAD/CAM bundles in that price?

I think CAD/CAM 2, 2.5, 3D plus 4th axis is a lot to ask for, for that price.

I have seen some of the toolpath options in the nicer CAM software. It seems that good CAM can make a considerable difference in finishes and toolpath efficency.

I have looked briefly at software like Rhino 3.0, DeskProto 4.0 , VisualMill 5.0 Basic, Alibre Design, Vector Cad Cam,

I could see myself doing many projects that would be 2.5D. Milling pockets and islands on one side then flipping the part over and preforming similar work.

I read something about Deskproto having support for keeping a part in 'regestration' while turning it over to mill the other side.

I think I could accomplish this by putting 'placement or locator pins' in out of the way areas on my work and tooling plate. Other software has similar functions I assume?

Another possibility might be to use a combination of several, less expensive, tailored software like Sheet Cam and Mesh Cam, turbocad?

I have a lot of learning to do here. I guess what I'm asking is..

Do some CAD demos work better with some CAM demos? If so what are some good demo combinations in order of complexity? Maybe I should start with the less complicated demos first?

Thanks again, Chuck.

I suggest you first narrow down your cad platform first, as this is where the design will begin (assuming you will be using a seperate cad and cam setup).

Some cad programs do work particularly well with some cam programs. Solidworks, for instance, has a list of cam programs it suggests. I believe Feature Cam actually works as a plug-in in solidworks (it may work as a stand alone too). From my understanding, you don't even have to export from SW to FC. Once finnished designing, you can go straight to toolpaths. One cnc is another cam package suggested by Solidworks (visual similarities between the two are pretty apparent). Visualmill and Rhino 3-d are also partnered in a sense: Naitive Rhino files can be exported and opened in visualmill (no need to use .stl or .iges which can sometimes loose info in the translation). Furthermore, layers used in visualmill to define machining boundaries can be designated in Rhino before exporting, making life a lot easier. They have a forum at the mechsoft site you might want to check out

http://www.mecsoft.com/cgi/teemz/tee...?board=_master

These are the only two I can think of right now. I hope this helps.

Carlo

Edit: whoops. I didn't see your price limit. Maybe try the basic level of Onecnc. I'm not sure how good its cad is but I suspect its decent. Only problem is they don't give out demos. Only live online tours. Still worth checking out as its a very simple cam solution.

Anyone else?

OneCNC looks nice, maybe I could get the express version to start and add functionality as I can afford it.

Do you know what a typical upgrade path would cost with Onecnc?

From what I see it starts with OneCNC XR express at around $1200. and goes up to about 7K for the OneCNC XP Mill Expert ?

$1000. per added feature set maybe?

I will have to look closer at this. If express version has CAD included that would would put it on the short list for sure. Thanks again, Chuck.

If you plan to mostly simple 2 1/2D work, take another look at Rhino and Mecsoft.

They have a new product called RhinoCam which produces cutter paths right in Rhino. This should be more than sufficient for your needs and falls within your budget.

http://www.rhinocam.com/

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the update Dan. I think I'm done drooling over the OneCNCXR for now. Time to go DL the Rhino/CAM Demo. Hopefully they (Rhino and Rhinocam) are available to demo together.

This from Mecsoft on the Rhinocam 1.0 Demo-

"This evaluation product is the same as the commercial product except that part files cannot be saved and toolpaths cannot be post-processed."

Sorry for the newbie question, but does that mean I will not be able to cut parts with the CAM demo?

but does that mean I will not be able to cut parts with the CAM demo
    Looks that way. If I were you, I would download the evaluation software and if you like what you see and want to cut some test blocks, give Mecsoft a call. I'm sure they could do something to help you out if they want the sale. Perhaps you could send them your files to post, and they could e-mail you back the G-code. Of course, if you have a unconventional controller, they may not have a compatable post ready.

Good luck,

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks again, I guess I better start from square 1 and find out what CAM options will work with my Deskcnc controller before even attempting to demo any software..Eh, hope this goes well, compatibility wise with the Deskcnc that is.