585,971 active members*
4,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

gantry construction

I plan to build a reasonably large (3m x 2m) moving-gantry router with quite a large z-axis (300mm or so travel hopefully), but I'm not yet sure how to approach making the gantry. I want to mount a 16hp ATC spindle I have bought already which weighs around 45kg, and I'm assuming a single box section, however big, probably won't be stiff enough over 2000mm. I'm wondering whether a pair (or more?) of welded aluminium or steel trusses would be a possibility? The finished space-frame could also be skinned in sheet to add to the stiffness (and to make it look less like a railway bridge!)

Anyone seen this approach used before?

Truss

Take a look at my web site albertamachine.com there you will find a 15 foot gantry on a 45 foot table the truss section was cut out of 3/8" alum and bolted to the alum extr the cutting head travels @ 7'/second

Quote Originally Posted by jcupido View Post
    Take a look at my web site albertamachine.com there you will find a 15 foot gantry on a 45 foot table the truss section was cut out of 3/8" alum and bolted to the alum extr the cutting head travels @ 7'/second
    Thanks for that- I never thought about the trusses being profiled from plate rather than welded... a few of these with cross bracing to link them might be a good solution. Your sail cloth machine obviously doesn't deal with the same forces as a router, so it looks a bit lightweight with just the one truss for my application, but in principle looks good. Did you do any tests for deflection when there is force on the blade?

truss

this is a MK automation extrusion the truss was tested in the z axes .
    The example has flex in the x axes or the untrussed axes .
    I suggest you apply some engineering to the cut material with a dado or slotting to the fastening of the truss plates . If you wish to discuss this further please don’t hesitate to phone . Regards

thanks jcupido

anyone else seen trusses used for a gantry?

hybrid truss

Quote Originally Posted by steve_p View Post
    thanks jcupido

anyone else seen trusses used for a gantry?
    i was thinking of a simular idea as yours....

I was planing on using 8020 (1.5x3) or steel tubing as top and botton rail for the truss then cutting out a alum. truss as albertamachine.com then bolting the truss with the 8020 .. making 2 matched I beams gantry

and leave 6-8" apart spacing between beams then mounting some alum plate or members between truss making u shaped trough.

The cable carriers would run in the centre if the truss trough ... free up space ... also i was planing on use 4 linear rail on this gantry 2 front side 2 on rear of x gantry for unitizing the truss ( simular to the link)
    allowing for 4 router to placed on this gantry ie 2 on front 2 on rear side....

It would be a hybrid truss & mechmate design.... of the gantry
    the intent is to carry 4 heavy 5 kw vfd spindles.

note there would be no ball screw in gantry beam.... it would be r/p so the no obstical for echain cable carrier.

silmular to this link....
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB-cpoR7WwU"]YouTube- CNC mach artcam[/nomedia]