584,849 active members*
4,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Any idea on Ultra Master from Rockwell?

Any idea on Ultra Master from Rockwell?

Anyone here used Ultra Master from Rockwell, I need it to tune a drive.

Is it very user friendly, and any idea how much it is?
    I got the demo but it doesn't let you do anything.....

Darc,

Call rockwell in Melbourne and ask to speak to Eugine, he will be able to help you with prices/full version.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Dave,
    I just ordered it, they told me it was $110 and it will be 2-3 weeks (has to be registered in the US????), bugger I need it now, but hey what can you do?
    Thanks anyway.

Darc,

It's a petty you are in Vic or I'd say, come around to the workshop and we'll set it for you. It is really easy to do, it will be worth the wait, you may be able to argue the point that you have paid your money, now how can they help you sooner. After all, they are in Vic themselves.

Good Luck, if I could help you remotely I would.

Dave
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Dave, I'm looking forward to having a go at tuning it, and sh$%ing myself.
    When I first tried the drive (1.5v battery) it only turned 180°, reverse polarity and it turned back 180º (even though the battery is still connected), I was so worried that the drive was faulty (second hand), after holding the battery on for about 10 seconds after the initial move I would recieve a flashing orange error light.
    But then Al_the_man suggested that it could be the setting in the drive from the previous motor (hope so).
    If all goes well with this software I will purchase ultraware ($153) to tune the Ultra 3000i I've got.

Well I recieved the Ultra Master software and I will have a go at it shortly.
    I'm not certain as to what operational mode I should have the motor set to when I tune it.
    e.g Velocity, Torque, Position etc etc.
    Bare in mind I will be using it with Camsoft so i think it would be velocity mode???
    Damn keen to play around with this software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.jpg  

Torque or current mode would be what you want with a PID controller, such as Galil. Velocity or speed mode would be used with a controller that only has P gain. Position mode is for step & direction, phase drive or up & down clock operation.

Darek

That's the same software as the Electrocraft and G&L use for their version of the Ultra drives. I have both companies' version, but not the AB. I half-heartedly tried to use the wrong brand with the wrong drive, and it didn't work. Not sure why.

I haven't tuned my drives yet, still sorting out which motors go where. Bought a
    motor on Ebay today, so I can get rid of the PacSci motor on the z axis. I'm going to be using 2 DDM-019's and 1 DDM-009. Two of those drives fit where one PacSci drive goes.

What progress has been made with these drives

Just a inquiry about these drives. I have 6 or 8 of these from years ago, mainly DDM005's and 009X and was interested if the members finihshed their projects?
    I purchased the floppy of Ultramaster which worked well with Reliance, Giddings&Lewis and AB units.
    Regards Craig