585,715 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Grizzly 0602

Grizzly 0602

Just bought this machine and setting it up. At the moment I have not been able to remove the chuck so I can clean/oil the threads. I have used the suggestion of crevicereamer of holding the spanner nuts on the back with no luck, they simply unscrewed. I simply can't even budge that chuck loose.

I had this same problem with my taig lathe, the problem was that some brass chips were in the thread and locking it. I loosened it by locking the spindle with a steel wrench (I brook the aluminum wrench) then by pounding the chuck with a rubber hammer. But before you do this, check if there is a locking set screw behind the chuck.

Since this is a new machine, I imagine it is that red junk that has sealed the threads. Both holding clamps are removed. There really is no where to wedge a wrench that I can.

I can think of two other ways to get it off but there are a little damaging. First by placing a peace of wood between the chuck jaw and the bed so that the chuck can not turn clock wise and turn the motor on backwards at the lowest speed. or drill a hole thru the spindle in the section between the barring and insert a screwdriver in the hole to lock the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander m View Post
    I can think of two other ways to get it off but there are a little damaging. First by placing a peace of wood between the chuck jaw and the bed so that the chuck can not turn clock wise and turn the motor on backwards at the lowest speed. or drill a hole thru the spindle in the section between the barring and insert a screwdriver in the hole to lock the spindle.
    Yes.. Those thoughts crossed my mind, but looking for non-destructive ideas. But thanks for the ideas.

I do know the red gunk cleans up nice with WD-40, I clean all of my machines with it. So I removed the chuck from the backplate and have been spaying some liquid-wrench type oil in there. With the chuck removed I can actually spray directly into the threads. Then I lightly wrap on the backplate with a dead blow hammer. Works on some tough car parts

I will order a spanner wrench tonight and maybe be able to grab the spindle better and place the chuck back on and hopefully just a little effort will break it up.

Got it!

Found a spanner wrench that would grab the spindle hole where one of the key arms goes in for loosening and wedged it behind a SHCS holding the rear splash guard on. The grabbed the chuck jaws with a crescent wrench a couple of blows with a dead blow hammer and off it came.. Nothing damaged, no harm.

I got it off in a similar way but I had to get a stack of wood/metal that would support a 5/16 section of rod horizontal, right at the mouth of one of the spanner holes. I found that if there was a gap I could obtain enough leverage to simply bend the rod, shoot the stack across the room, scrape my knuckles, and the chuck still wouldn't budge. Getting the rod stuck out horizontal and supported right at the mouth of that spanner hole in the spindle was the ticket. I cursed that thing for two days trying to break it loose.

Glad you got it loose without tearing up anything.

Oh I still have the busted knuckles at least

Grizzly 0602

Well yeah. I didn't mean your body. That stuff grows back. It's the big chuncks of cast iron you gotta protect right?
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Yea, in the confusion I sprayed my knuckles with WD40 to prevent them from rusting..

And just in case someone finds this post later and wants a visual aid...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe01.jpg