584,866 active members*
5,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > OpenSource Software > Numerical Control Command Language

Numerical Control Command Language

Hi all. I wrote an application to make simple CNC operations. I used the LUA language that is freely available, and add it some commands to create simple machining operations. The goal would be to have something like a conversational cnc programming language.

I called it NCCL that is the acronynm of Numerical Control Command Language and has a very simple syntax.
    There are commands to create rectangular pockets, circular pockets, text engraving and facing operations. Engraving of profiles taken form dxf files is already included but still to be considered experimental.

It's a project I started in late 2009 and I think it's time to stop adding new features and seeking for volunteers that want to contribute to find bugs.

I don't have a true machine to test the GCODE produced so I always used the free CNC simulator to check the output.
    There are probably some (a lot of...) bugs that needs to be fixed. Although english is not my mother language, I wrote some documentation and some tutorials.

Writing NCCL scripts is like writing in python or perl. Use a text editor of your choice and write your program. Then run the program with the main executable nccl.exe. The output will be the GCODE. The program has only one postprocessor until now and, although other postprocessors can be written.

All the constructs of a programming language can be used including for.. next loops. variable assignement, conditional tests, user defined functions and so on. Since the underlying language is LUA, all the syntax of LUA can be used inside NCCL programs. It has many addons And a lot of code is available.

In the era of dazzling user interfaces, NCCL is a command line interpreter and I hope it will be appreciated by users that like to experiment.
    All the aspects of NCCL needs to be tested including the commands, the documentations, and the postprocessor. In other words : everything.
    It's free so you can use as you like.

If you wanto to give it a try, use this link : http://www.exgenia.com and choose the download link.

PS: please ignore my english errors. It's not my mother language.

Sandro

License?

Hi Sandro,

just for my curiosity: which license did you choose for your project? On your website I only found a statement like "it is free". Does that mean GPL, *BSD, public domain or is it just "free as in beer"?

cheers,
    Lars

Hi Lars. I admit that until I read your message I had not yet thought that I needed a license of some kind.

"Free" means that you can use the software as you like. I'm not going to ask money for it. I know that this is the opensource forum, and may be that I erroneously posted the message here. If you think that the license is an issue I accept suggestions.

Sandro

Hi Sandro,

Quote Originally Posted by safecnc View Post
    "Free" means that you can use the software as you like. I'm not going to ask money for it. I know that this is the opensource forum, and may be that I erroneously posted the message here. If you think that the license is an issue I accept suggestions.
    The forum board title also contains the word "shareware" - so I guess, you may safely put almost any kind of software here

Regarding the word "free": its strict interpretation would be, that anyone is allowed to use the software, but that the copyright is still solely on your side. Thus others are not allowed to distribute modified versions of your software.

If this is your intended interpretation then you can safely keep it like this.

Otherwise something like "I put this software into the public domain" or a GPL statement would be a clear way to go.
    See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html for step-by-step instructions for using the GPL. Or take a look at the BSD license: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

cheers,
    Lars