585,560 active members*
3,494 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > VMC 40 with no Turcite on table?

VMC 40 with no Turcite on table?

I have 2 Fadal VMC 40s. One is a 1984 2013 and the other is a 1985 2216. I have also worked in numerous shops that had many FADALa that I ran, repaired and maintained. I just aquired the 1985 and started tearing it down for a thorough cleaning, inspecting, repairing, and adjusting. I have never seen a boxway FADAL without Turcite before. This machine has turcite on the saddle (Y axis) but no turcite on the table ( X axis). If the Turcite was just worn out or fallen out, I would think the ways would be galled. The ways on the saddle and the table appear to be ground and scraped and in flawless condition. If you check the stack height of everything, the non adjustable gib straps have 0.0018" clearance. I have replaced Turcite on machines before and the table is usually rough where the Turcite is bonded to it, not ground. Does anyone know if Fadal made any machines ground ways instead of Turcite?

Re: VMC 40 with no Turcite on table?

I am inspecting an 85 vmc40 right now and not seeing turcite on it either, just ground and scraped ways. Did you ever find any more information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandocnc View Post
    I am inspecting an 85 vmc40 right now and not seeing turcite on it either, just ground and scraped ways. Did you ever find any more information on this?
    Brandocnc,
    I actually know a couple guys that worked at the factory and quite a few of Fadal's Southern California field technicians. None of them had heard of or seen one without Turcite. Though I never took measurements and compared with my other machine, I came to the conclusion that someone ground the top of the saddle instead of replacing the Turcite. I ended up sand blasting the top of the saddle and putting Turcite on it. light machining and hand scraping of the Turcite and new gib straps

Fadal did not Turcite from 1979 (VMC45)-1985ish lol I have 2 1984 VMC 40's here that do not have Turcite on any of the Axes. Now some 84's could have received Turcite after 84 because Fadal would upgrade originals to be more up to date. Especially saddle upgrades happened frequently original saaddles were called Short (square ends) and the newer saddles were called Long (Tapered ends).

You can also raise the Z axis and see if the head has Turcite i probably does not raise the z axis up to the 4 inch plus direction from coldstart and you can see the Surface that rides against the Column ways.