585,679 active members*
5,592 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Liniear bearing and Ballscrew lubrication

Liniear bearing and Ballscrew lubrication

Hi People.

I just bought a china-fab benchtop CNC router at a very good price.Been using the last days to set it up and iron out the bugs. Runs pretty good and true now, but need lubrication....

The ballscrews has grease nipples and I have seen on other threads that lithium grease is the generally recommended choice for ballscrews. I need a EU online supplier for this grease and some brand/type suggestions.

I am unsure how to lube the liniar bearings, and I would like to get it right before trying to run it at full speed. I have 20 mm rails with open type liniear bearing without grease nipples. What should I use to lube the rails and bearings, if at all? How much is too much?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_7193.jpg  

At work we run a DataTech M series sample maker that has the gantry supported on linear rails similar to whay you've shown.

The manufacturers recommendation is to wipe the rails down daily with an oily clothe, using a light oil, such as pneamatic tool oil.

No puddles of oil... just a light sheen such that when you swipe your bare and accross them, you get a light oil residue on your hand. You simply don't want to run them dry.

I'm not sold on using grease for ball screws, though I don't have experience with them yet. But the only dedicated specialty ball screw lubricant I'm aware of is sold by Nook and it is some kind of oil.

I'd love to hear from somebody who has used it whether it is light or heavy.

I have some teflon multipurpose light oil on hand (Superlube spray) - can I use that, or would something like a fullsynthetic 5W-40 motor oil be better? I´ll look for pneumatic tool oil as well! Do you have a brand name and number to search for!

Thanks

Jussi

Welcome! Danske mand!

Did I say that right? I'm not speaking danish, but my avatar is a picture of a ring I wear. It was made by my grandfather, Jense, a Danish blacksmith. I am always happy to see a fellow Dane on board.

Sorry I can't contribute to an answer.

Jon
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

I´ll look for pneumatic tool oil as well! Do you have a brand name and number to search for!
    I don't know what's available in your neck of the woods... but the pneumatic oil I'm refering to is very common. I have a bottle with Porter-Cable's brand name on it and another one with ACE Hardware's brand name on it. It's very light and is clear, looks like mineral oil. It is dripped into the air fitting on pneumatic tools or is used to fill air line oilers.

I'd think any hardware store that sold any kind of pneumatic tool would have it.

Thanks Matt....

I know exactly what you mean now and I have a pretty good idea where to get it.....thanks for clarifying!

Knudsen, your danish is fine (at least those two words). Looks like your grandfather is one the old-school blacksmiths - nice craftmanship on the Mjølner hammer.

I am going on vacation in a few days. But when I get home, I will start to cut the first pieces and make a thread about the router!

Regards

Jussi