585,973 active members*
4,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Could use some file transmission help

Could use some file transmission help

Hello gents,
    I recently got my "new" 1997 VMC15XT powered up. But I'm having a hell of a time transferring files to it. At first I was running Program 1. Also, I had a cable the plugged into the 25 pin on the back of the machine that had a 9 pin serial on the other end. My laptop is newer so it doesn't have a 9 pin, so I bought a serial to USB adapter.

Things were going semi-ok, transfers, after setting the the baud rate and all that, were hit and miss, sometimes it would transfer a file, sometimes it would transfer part of it then give me a parity error. Sometimes it would give me a parity error right off the bat. Eventually I got a program in. By this time I had figured out that Program 2 is what I wanted.

When trying to cut parts, I was getting weird behavior which I managed to trace back to a weird G92 code line (with help). But in trying to solve the problem, I had went in and set the Parameters to what the manual said they should be.

Now the machine won't even recognize that anything is coming in, after a TA,1

I sent a file from the machine to the computer, but it was all garbage, just x's.

So then I tore apart the cable and wired the end like the diagram in the manual under 25 pin to 9 pin. This didn't help.

Any thoughts, I'm dying here.

I just tried to buy a computer with a serial port the same as the Fadal, but they're not made anymore.

Thanks,
    Justin

Oh I should mention the G0/G1, G90/G91 parameters, these are the only things I changed that I could think of that would affect the file transmission.

Also, I did the test on the 1030 board with the plug tester and it is good.

Finally I should mention that I keep blowing a fuse in the box, under F30. Could that be it?

Thanks,
    Justin

I should also add that I just now sent a file from the Machine to the computer, but still don't get anything when sending to the machine, using a TA,1, not even a Parity Error or anything

when I send a file I use
    TA,1
    CD,9

The CD, X x=number is the baud rate your pc and machine are set for.

for sending to the pc you need to use PU ( pretty sure its PU I dont use that often)

Also check out USB ports on in this forum NOT all COnvertors work matter of fact I only found one that worked and have 4-5 of them laying around so I just have a old PC to send and recieve now.

I think I've got it now, seems like it was the serial to USB cable. A buddy brought over an old computer with a serial port, and I was able to send the post using hyperterminal. I also ordered a card for my laptop that goes in the Express port, (new version of PMCIA), and has a 9 pin serial on it.

I spent basically 3 entire days trying to get that thing going...

Just in case anyone needs a serial port, shopfloor automations has pci cards with two serial ports. I know it's not for laptops but you can add serial ports to most all desktops.

http://www.shopfloorautomations.com/pci_2_port_card.php

Btw, you should look into the NC Fadal software. The absolute best software for file transfer on fadal machines, and it should be because it's fadals own software.

When it comes to USB ports, some of them will work just fine and some of them will not. All USB ports are NOT the same. I recentlty spoke with a USB expert that used to work for one of the top computer manufacturers and he was telling me some of the differences. Unfourtunatly I did not document it and I can't recall the details.
    Perhaps he'll read this and chime in to educate as all. How about it "D"?

Neal

I have a bit of experience working with USB -- I've seen many, many USB serial adapters, and the ones that always work and have the best software are the ones from Keyspan, the USA-19HS in particular is a good choice (HW handshaking, up to 230 kbaud, port number is assignable) -- http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...xtModelID=3914

Keyspan was bought by Tripplite, but I believe the original engineers still support the products.

I am using this exact USB Adapter to communicate with my 3016L.