585,996 active members*
4,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tool offsets

Tool offsets

Hello everyone,
    I am installing camsoft lite and would like help on setting tool offsets and machine home or job home. Either I am having trouble following the book or it is just poorly laid out. I really don't see anything on setting tool offsets and it will not take my machine home settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated, a step by step example would be really great,i.e, do I need to set a variable or write a macro first then where to place it and how to access it. One example from start to end too set a tool offset would be great.
    Thanks you for your time,
    Frustrated.

It's going to be hard for the guys to suggest a step by step procedure for you. Each machine it different so it's always best to start with the defaults. You can find these in various CBK files for your machine type. There are 9 machine types covered in various axes configurations. The Macro.FIL and the Macro.MAC files have numerous examples and templates for you to cut & paste from. The best way to find answers is to electronically search using the Search for Solutions button on CNCsetup.exe or Setup.exe. You can search for answers using key words like a web-browser.

The tool offsets are on a screen called the TOOL PARAMETER screen. There are many fill-in-the-blank boxes for many types of machine, tool, wear, length, ect... offsets.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    (951) 674-8100
    [email protected]
    www.cnccontrols.com
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

First, I'd suggest you lower your sights a bit. There's a steep learning curve at first with this product. After you "get it" then it will go easy. For now, I'd suggest one task to investigate. I'll pick "Home X"

On my default CBK, this was defined on the F7 key. Go to design operator interface and set up another key if you don't already have it. Figure out how this key works on the screen - you can change it move it etc. You'll see that the key just executes an M code. On my default F7 key its M112. Learn how to put up another key on the screen with a different F key and title.

Next figure out how to open the Mcode file and go to M112. You should find this code:

HOMEX \80
    -----M112

This is what runs when you push the F7 key. Use search for solutions and learn about the HOMEX command. Use varialbe search to see where all \80 is used. (I'll give you a tip, the value of \80 is nearly always 0, I've never looked into this before just now, but it looks like you can change this value with a T parameter - try M112 T2 - I bet the machine will home to 2 instead of 0)

execute M112 from the MDI interface, it works there also. Let me know what M112 T2 does. I learned by just "beating on it"

Go through all this, read everything, and ask what you don't get. I'd stick with this one example till you see how it fits. Then the next one will be easy

P.S. I back up my CBK EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!! when I'm messing with it. My method it to use the date in the file name so I have a copy of every day's work. Today, I made Execello 5 26.cbk

Karl

P.P.S.

If I picked a poor example - not on your default. Let me know.

Hey, I'm full of beans on the \80 variable and T thing. This isn't fully implemented on my control. Please ignore all those comments. I'm sorry to mislead you.

Karl

Tool offsets

Karl.
    Thank you for your input, I will disregard the T thing, hopefully I will have some feed back for you next week.
    Plateroomred,

Karl,
    I am using the game pad controller interface.I placed an F7 on the screen and yet when I push it I get nothing. I also tried M112 from the MDI area and get no action. I checked the variable description for \80 and it says preset value. Some of the variables are highlighted in blue which is suppose to mean that they are being used yet many have no description. I am vary confused on how the whole variable thing works. I have tried to set my home positions several times but nothing seems to work. I did a variable search to see where\80 is used and only get 2 and they are !\80={\1-\80} !machzero\80
    And all I see is \80 is a preset value on the variable description page. WHAT IS THE PRESET VALUE? and how is it edited?
    Thanks for your patients Karl
    Plateroomred

What you're working with may be too different for me to be of much help. I don't know what the game pad interface is. Can I ask what sort of machine you're running? A good description of what you have would help.

Can you look up M112? And see what it says. I was hoping your default CBK was similar to mine. Maybe not. On my mill F7 executes M112 which <job> homes the X axis. The command that is executed in M112 is HOMEX \80. And \80 has a value of 0.
    Sounds like your default CBK is totally different.

Yes, blue variables mean they are used by the system. I agree, descriptions here would save A LOT of grief. I've put the description in whenever I figure one out. I also comment the heck out of the CBK. Really saves time when I go back again, later.

Here's the search on MachZero:
    MACHZERO
    Used to reset the machine zero location X, Y, Z, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 upon start up when home is found. Valid axes are 1 through 8. Refer to HOME for job home position.
    EXAMPLE: MACHZERO x;y;z;a;b;c;e;f

You're wanting to Job home. Correct? Look for the command HOME or HOMEX or HOMEY or HOMEZ etc. I'm guessing its already set up in your Mcodes. Look there first.
    Looks like this is only used on your CBK after finding home switches.

One tip. The cbk is just a text file. I find it easier to search by just loading it into wordpad or your favorite text editor. I also edit all the *.fil files with a text editor but I wouldn't reccomend this till your far more knowledgeable.

Don't know what is meant by preset value. I used search for solutions and found the word preset about six times. Read all that and see if it helps. My advice, let this one go for now. Keep searching for how to set job home on one axis. I still think there will be an M code to do this for you, and all you have to do is put up a button on the interface. If you don't find an M code, make sure you can edit Mcodes on your control. We'll set up a home feature.

Try not to get frustrated. (Been there, done that) There's a lot to learn and its all confusing at first. After you get it. YOU WILL LOVE THIS CONTROL.

Karl