585,975 active members*
4,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Coolant

Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Here is a picture showing my Tormach flood coolant setup. Note the anti-siphon valve and new stainless steel braided coolant line.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...oolantLine.jpg

Don
    Thanks for posting. My 770 came with I think plastic covered chrome plated hose where you have the stainless, not sure all Tormach machines came that way. I plan to replace that as well. I had not thought of an anti-siphon but the pic gives me an idea. I have seen a few pics of double ends, but in all honesty I don't think I would need that for my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Go away troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Seems you have lost your way, let me help you back to the proper forum....
    Geez guys, relax a bit, there was nothing the least bit troll like about his post.

eesh

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Geez guys, relax a bit, there was nothing the least bit troll like about his post.

eesh

bob

Since I am the OP on the thread, I think I can direct the topic. I am not really interested in hearing about Navakon systems or coolant comparisons on the systems as has started on some of the other threads... I am interested in hearing from Tormach owners on their solutions which is why I posted in this forum as opposed to the General forums.

Since I've added the cheap rec air filter, it seems to have helped. However I plan to add another screen and was thinking about taking a large oil filter apart and spreading it out to fit.... Any thoughts ?

Any of you guys using the fish tank bubblers to prolong the coolant life ?

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    Since I've added the cheap rec air filter, it seems to have helped. However I plan to add another screen and was thinking about taking a large oil filter apart and spreading it out to fit.... Any thoughts ?

This company gave me a part number of 50 pieces of their product about 15" wide, basically as hand wipes. In talking to them if the coolant is run through this material it will collect the oil. So probably better than an oil filter as oil will go through a oil filter once it gets saturated.

http://www.adsorb-it.com/Products/Adsorb-itRolls.html

If you are interested I can send you the part number, its $75 for 50. I have some things I am buying so will be a few more weeks before I can get it and try them, but I will buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post

I have an extra fish tank bubbler lying around here, I might try that. On the oil filter idea, if your looking to collect the oily film, you might want to try http://www.millerwastemills.com/products/filter.htm I am not sure , maybe others will chime in on the idea.

Good idea though

Quote Originally Posted by g29cc View Post
    I have an extra fish tank bubbler lying around here, I might try that. On the oil filter idea, if your looking to collect the oily film, you might want to try http://www.millerwastemills.com/products/filter.htm I am not sure , maybe others will chime in on the idea.

Good idea though
    An oil filter will simply keep contaminants out of the system and allow oil or anything liquid to pass through.

Check out the link I posted. It's not really a filter, I should have clarified. It will actually absorb the oil and separate it from the water. It will not clog up enough to cause a problem unless you are really moving a lot of coolant. It is what is being used in the Gulf oil spill cleanup now.

Magnum,

Re: your oil filter idea, I've been using oil-absorbent pads from Enco (part no. 890-1694) for a while now. It's not a perfect solution; some oil still seems to find its way into the coolant reservoir. I think it does help, though. I swap them out when they get really grotty, and they do seem to have quite a bit of oil trapped in them.

How long do they last and how big is your coolant tank ?

And I know skimmers aren't the best , though I have seen a few pretty decent ones. But the end cost vs what I am needing boils down to bang for buck. Is it really worth spending the money on a skimmer that is good vs doing something like these filters ?

Also what type of coolant are you using ?

g29cc,

I replaced the original Tormach coolant reservoir with an 18-gallon clear Rubbermaid storage container. Yeah, it's kind of cheesy, but I can see the condition and level of coolant at a glance. I also replaced the Tormach coolant pump with a Wayne TSC130 submersible pump that gives a better delivery volume with a twin nozzle setup. The coolant I'm using is Hangsterfer S-500 at a 7% concentration.

I probably use my machine less than a lot of other owners, but if I get into a stretch of heavy usage I may need to clean out the reservoir and replace the absorbent pads after 2-3 weeks. Luckily, the pads are relatively inexpensive.

Thank you for the info !

I thought the same thing with my coolant tank. I would like to use something larger as well. If I run the machine for 4-5 hours straight run on a cycle time, then the coolant gets drained quickly and can't cycle back down quick enough. So I am on the same track !

Great idea on the rubbermaid thing. I have a 25 gallon tote I could probably use...

Man I love this place !

Just a couple of thoughts..
    Would the absorbant pads that are designed to pull oil out of water pull soulable oil out of your coolant mix?

I have found that leaving a "skin" of oil on top of my coolant reduces how fast the dehumidifier in my shop drains my coolant tank. It would probably help with normal evaporation as well.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

What are the quantative numbers for tramp oil being detrimental to flood coolant? Frankly tramp oil doesn’t seem to harm my flood coolant. I kind of get a measure of the amount of tramp oil in my flood coolant by using a liquid refractometer and looking at the fuzzy demarcation line. But it doesn’t really tell me much. I sometimes use my shop vac to skim the floating layer of tramp oil off of my flood coolant but IMO other than that it really isn’t worth worrying about it.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts..
    Would the absorbant pads that are designed to pull oil out of water pull soulable oil out of your coolant mix?

I have found that leaving a "skin" of oil on top of my coolant reduces how fast the dehumidifier in my shop drains my coolant tank. It would probably help with normal evaporation as well.

Scott
    According to the MFG... If the oil is emulsified then it will not remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post

Scott
    That skin of oil is what allow anaerobic bacteria to thrive and make your coolant go skunky. If you change your coolant regularly, it probably will never be an issue and apparently some coolants aren't susceptible to that.

bob

Page 2 of 2 12