584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RFQ For a Mountain Bike part

I need a somewhat small custom part made for a mountain bike. I may have to simplify the design to make it more cost effective. Any additional imput is welcome. Even if someone can do this by hand on a mill it should be ok.

The main concern is allignment of the 4 holes. The 2 big cutouts and other fillets dont have to be exact. I have attached a zipped igs file. Material would be 6061 T6. I dont need this part right away either.

FYI this is a disc brake adaptor for an AMP B3 frame to IS disc.

Attached Files Attached Files

Bender , would like to quote yor part looks simple enough . the biggest cost would be fixturing setup. but still not that bad. always looking for custom parts to do.
    I work in the semiconductor machine trade on the weekends and have a bridgeport cnc at the house . please contact me ,and I will give you a quote
    Thanks Brad
    IF ITS NOT BROKE YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust , If it wasnt for Harleys the fast lane would rust.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Bender
    I need a somewhat small custom part made for a mountain bike. I may have to simplify the design to make it more cost effective. Any additional imput is welcome. Even if someone can do this by hand on a mill it should be ok.

The main concern is allignment of the 4 holes. The 2 big cutouts and other fillets dont have to be exact. I have attached a zipped igs file. Material would be 6061 T6. I dont need this part right away either.

FYI this is a disc brake adaptor for an AMP B3 frame to IS disc.

Quote Originally Posted by broken003
    do you have any qutotes for this part? what kind of pricees did you get for this part? I'm always looking to help out a fellow mountain biker. Maybe I can make this a little more affordable than the others. It looks like the material alone will cost about $20. How much were you expecting to pay? I'll help if I can...let me know. you can email me directly at [email protected]
    Yes I have about 5 quotes so far. I highly doubt it would cost $20 for a piece of 6061 T6 that small. I can get a piece big enough for under $4 and thats not even purchasing in quantity. Expecting to pay? Thats tricky, I dont want to throw around a ton of money but on the other hand I do need the part. I'll email you some more details and see what you think.

I was looking at www.metalexpress.net a 2.5"x2.5"x 1" piece is $15+ as I dont have material that size on hand, but if you can find it locally at a better deal then thats the way to go. maybe I have the dimensions wrong, thats about the size I calculated when I imported the file (which wasn't didnt import cleanly)

I have been looking at www.onlinemetals.com for what I need. I have purchased copper and aluminum there before. For only purchasing a small quantity the prices seem great. A 3" by 3" by .75" piece of 6061 T6 is about $4 currently.

I have someone making the part in a week or so. I'll post pictures when complete.

I just wanted to post a picture of the final product. I have had a chance to test it out on some very steep descents. I notice zero flex or performance loss from the brakes.

Thanks a bunch for all who helped!

bender
    where did you find the isis specs for disc mounts ?
    mike

I found the IS standard online but I didnt need it. A guy on an MTB forum built a similar adaptor with hand tools so he had the dimensions for AMP Disc to IS.

Bender, did you convert from an existing amp Disk setup ? if so how is the Isis caliper better than the AMP cable operated caliper? Have you had to change shocks? Mine (b5) blew several AMP shocks until I replaced it with a Resse Air.

Nice job by the way.. \

Andrew

Hi Bender
    the part i did for you looks great! it is nice to see parts in their final application... cool

glad you were happy with the 'service'

Phil

I never had the AMP disc brake. Converting to IS ment that I can use about 99% of the disc brakes out on the market today. I chose formula B4 discs because they are very light and offer great modulation and stopping power. I bought my B3 frame from a guy who had it for 6 months and he had a Risse genesis shock on it. The oem shocks were good but prone to leakage.

Here is my bike as of a month ago. I have since changed to a different carbon fiber crank and a scandium alloy bottom bracket.

http://light-bikes.com/bikegallery/B...ing.asp?id=175

Here is one of my 2 AMP B5 frames. Both have the carbon rear ends.

The company I just started working for, used to make carbon fiber bike frames. Here's a pic. http://www.fiberdynamics.net/products/sporting.html

Not sure if they still make them though, as I haven't seen any.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

As I see there are some bike enthusiasts on the zone, I was curious as to what the thoughts are on Cane Creek bike products. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gunner

Nice job on that part, whoever made it.

Thanks
    Bender supplied an excellent solid file.. made it easy to cut

Phil

did'nt know amp still made bikes.
    knew a few guys that had them but the general opinion was they were a bit soft
    for u.k. conditons
    crane creak stuff - headsets are okay but the shocks ...see above.
    mike