585,728 active members*
4,117 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Heidenhain CYCLE 19 Work Plane Tilt

I'm looking at cutting a dovetail that is tilted 10 degrees to the X-Y plane on the X-axis. I was wondering if someone could explain how the CYCLE 19 Working Plane function works. The machine is a 5-axis machine with a nutating head (B & C axis, with an A-axis rotary on X-axis). The control is a TNC 530, we also have a TNC 426 on a similar machine. Do I program the dovetail as if it was on the X-Y plane then tilt the B-axis 10 degrees & call the CYCLE 19 Work Plane Tilt & the control will take care of the change in coordinates or do I have to calculate the new coordinates based on the 10 degree tilt ?. Any & all input would be appreciated as I am very new to this 5-axis stuff.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ED209 View Post
    I'm looking at cutting a dovetail that is tilted 10 degrees to the X-Y plane on the X-axis. I was wondering if someone could explain how the CYCLE 19 Working Plane function works. The machine is a 5-axis machine with a nutating head (B & C axis, with an A-axis rotary on X-axis). The control is a TNC 530, we also have a TNC 426 on a similar machine. Do I program the dovetail as if it was on the X-Y plane then tilt the B-axis 10 degrees & call the CYCLE 19 Work Plane Tilt & the control will take care of the change in coordinates or do I have to calculate the new coordinates based on the 10 degree tilt ?. Any & all input would be appreciated as I am very new to this 5-axis stuff.

Thanks.
    Cycle 19 is good but plane spatial is better. Try to use plane spatial and you'll find that it's better and easier than 19.