585,752 active members*
3,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Anyone ever cut carbon fiber sheet with their router?

Anyone ever cut carbon fiber sheet with their router?

Something like this to be exact....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-...Q5fAccessories

Quote Originally Posted by SatanKlawz View Post
    Something like this to be exact....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-...Q5fAccessories

Yes I have.
    You must be very careful of the dust as the small carbon fiber can be very hazardous to your lungs. I use a shop vacuum with a HEPA filter and blow the resultant exhaust outside.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

besides the dust, how clean of a cut can you really get with the stuff, it seems liek it would be abotu like cutting fiberglass and you would have little strings hanging all over the place.

Why two days ago, to be exact! I'm messing around with CF for reinforcement on critical structural sections of my new router build. For the part I was last doing, I laminated .125" of uni CF onto one side of a .25" thick piece of BB ply, then machining a 2-sided part from it.

Enough about me, though.

May I ask what the application is?

For that kind of price, you're getting ok value, but you should know that you are most likely getting 1 layer of carbon fiber, and the rest is fiberglass. Totally a cosmetic panel, the structural qualities will not be very good at all.

Use new tooling. Sharper is better, it will help prevent the fuzzies from happening at your cut edges.

I would cut this on a vacuum table, cutting a fair distance into the sacrificial sheet - this should help your edge quality.

Put masking tape on the cosmetic surface of the panel over wherever you're cutting. Should help preserve the topcoat.

Finally, some resins are very sensitive to high temperatures, you risk local delamination or even blush (cloudy sections) forming along cut lines. Keep it cool - I'd be using compressed air, if I were doing the job.

Also check the exotic materials section of the CNCzone forums - there is a 3+ page thread about cutting composites that you may find valuable.

Good luck!

ck

thanks for the info, my intentions are pretty much strictly cosmetic stuff, I would like to make some real cool panels to house switches and that sort of thing.

Another option, not as sexy as true CF, is 3M's Di-Noc film - they make several different colors of CF print, it actually is textured to reflect light more like CF. Check it out, it might be a better bang for your buck option, and sure doesn't give off the nasty dust!

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/direc...on-fiber-vinyl

I used to cut lots of 3mm CF sheet for RC Helicopter frames. Get a hold of Best carbide in Gardena California (ask for Carmen). They have a diamond cut bit specifically for cutting PCB Boards/CF. When I first cut CF I was using standard Flat End Mills and was able to cut 5 pieces before having to change bits. By using Best Carbide bits it went to over 40 pieces before having to change bits. They are about $12-$14 each but well worth the money. Get the down cut type so the fine dust isn't flung into the air while cutting.
    When cutting wear a good respirator mask with a filter, NOT the cheapo paper masks, they do nothing to protect you from CF in the lungs. I also would buy a set of painters coveralls, the plastic white ones you can get at the store and use a shop vac to vacuum the dust as the parts are cut.
    Hope this helps,
    Larry

Unless you are prepared to die (cancer), i suggest NOT doing it. You need a EXTREMELY good filtration system. A vacuum will NOT contain the CF, it will simply pass through the filter and blow it everywhere! If you are really hell bent on doing this, buy the best 3M mask you can afford with dual hepas made just for carbon fiber, and the full mask that goes over your head to protect your eyes, ears, etc. Also contact them about the correct gloves, and suit you will need, carbon fiber splinters are horrible. Even after you cut the CF your shop will always be compromised with dust since the mill im assuming is not sealed with the correct filter system etc.. (CF=pain in the ass).

Quote Originally Posted by airpro_1 View Post
    I used to cut lots of 3mm CF sheet for RC Helicopter frames. Get a hold of Best carbide in Gardena California (ask for Carmen). They have a diamond cut bit specifically for cutting PCB Boards/CF. When I first cut CF I was using standard Flat End Mills and was able to cut 5 pieces before having to change bits. By using Best Carbide bits it went to over 40 pieces before having to change bits. They are about $12-$14 each but well worth the money. Get the down cut type so the fine dust isn't flung into the air while cutting.
    When cutting wear a good respirator mask with a filter, NOT the cheapo paper masks, they do nothing to protect you from CF in the lungs. I also would buy a set of painters coveralls, the plastic white ones you can get at the store and use a shop vac to vacuum the dust as the parts are cut.
    Hope this helps,
    Larry
    This is exactly this info I neded. I would like to cut parts similiar to what you have done. Also I had no idea this stuff was so bad for you. I have a hepa filter on my shop vac that is attached to my dust shoe. I also have a fitted mask I can use.
    Think I will be ok?

I used to cut lots of 3mm CF sheet for RC Helicopter frames. Get a hold of Best carbide in Gardena California (ask for Carmen).
    Larry
    Heads up guys...I googled Best Carbide and tried to get into their site yesterday, but Google blocked it saying the site is loading malicious software to site visitors' computers. It's possible their website has been hacked and turned into a sleeper - looks normal, but uploads viruses to unsuspecting visitors.

Talking

call application specialties

3941 "B" street NW
    Auburn, WA 98001

253-872-0305
    1-800-882-0305

www.1asi.com

They supply Boeing and other aerospace manufacturers. The best around, period. They flow through enough product that they also have the best prices, along with the biggest selection.

hope that helps you.

Re: Anyone ever cut carbon fiber sheet with their router?

Hope this helps,
    Larry
    What speeds and feeds did you run that worked best for you?