584,830 active members*
6,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Beaded belt drive parts needed

Hello all...

I work with some older laboratory instrumentation and have been slowly, but steadily running out of a particular little part. This little beaded string couples a rolling numerical display to the drive system has become increasingly rare.

I've looked all over through google searches and had no luck in finding a supplier so I'm posting here looking for any suggestions. Considering where I'm posting though, I thought someone might have some ideas on how to fabricate something like this. The beads are 3mm in diameter plastic on a tightly woven string of some kind.

I have a mill and considered building some type of injection molding form, but that's as far as I've gone towards fabrication.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1254.jpg  

Looks similar to the beaded string used on blinds

http://www.blindsdiy.co.uk/acatalog/Spare_Parts.html

Bill

That's not a half bad idea... My specs are fairly precise, but maybe I'll get lucky. I'll look for a US supplier who can measure their product... Thanks!

Ken

Berg has some funky cable with lugs. Put '31GBF' into the link's search box for some examples. There are no doubt more but their web site makes it difficult to browse products.

Thanks... I've been looking through their online catalog and this is much closer, but never quite what I need. Really good info though. You're right about it being really hard to navigate.

Ken

Perhaps it would be easier to consider changing out the drive pulley to a small toothed belt system?

Here is one example firm, but there are a number of others.

http://brecoflex.com/index.php?CATID=1&SCATID=1

Harryn,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the really unique thing about a beaded belt is that it can easily transmit drive force between pulleys rotating on vertical and horizontal axes. That's what this belt is doing. The Berg belts are about the only thing I've seen that's even close. Seems like the "ball" technology may have simply been replaced by the "bar" style. If I'm really lucky, I might be able to simply modify the current pulleys (there are several on each machine) to accept the bar style chain.

Ken