584,837 active members*
5,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SW to Lazycam

To anyone that can help.

I've used SW 2008 to design a 3D part that I would like to cut out on my router table. I can't seem to save it as a DFX file and lazycam is not opening with the SLDPRT extension.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

WM.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodMizer View Post
    To anyone that can help.

I've used SW 2008 to design a 3D part that I would like to cut out on my router table. I can't seem to save it as a DFX file and lazycam is not opening with the SLDPRT extension.

Thanks,

WM.
    you might try .dxf or .dwg and select version 12

You need to create a drawing of your part in Solidworks and export that as a .dxf file. LazyCAM can only read 2D drawing files.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So, a drawing as in the drafting drawing with the 3 view?

Shouldn't lazy cam be able to read 3D since almost anything you cut is 3D? For example: I have a 2D piece of plywood but if I want to make a blind hole half way through it wouldn't that be using the Z-axis for a third dimension?

When I go to save the part there is no option to save it with the .dxf extension.

If I export it, Where do I save it or export it to?

Thanks for all your help,

WM.

So, a drawing as in the drafting drawing with the 3 view?
    Yes, but you'd typically just use the top view.
    Shouldn't lazy cam be able to read 3D since almost anything you cut is 3D? For example: I have a 2D piece of plywood but if I want to make a blind hole half way through it wouldn't that be using the Z-axis for a third dimension?
    LC is what's typically called a 2.5D CAM package. Typical cuts will plunge to depth, but the majority of cutting is done with the X and Y axis'. The Z is typically used only for plunging and retracting, although some 2.5D CAM programs can ramp in as well.
    When I go to save the part there is no option to save it with the .dxf extension.
    Again, create a drawing with the top view, and save the drawing as a .dxf. Make sure the drawing is 1:1 scale.

Save it wherever you want, and import it into LazyCAM.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for your help.

As you can probably tell I'm new to all this. My boss bought me a CAMWOOD 408 instead of paying me for a couple of months. The intention was to make 3D wood products but we found this machine for cheap and decided it would be good to learn 2D first.

I took the SolidWorks I course at BCIT so now I'm trying to piece it all together. I'm going to try a few things and see what happens.

I probably have more questions later.

Thanks again,

WM.

What version of SW do you have? Is it a full SW version, or a package from a CAM integrator? Do you have the drawing package with it?

To do what ger21 is suggesting you need the drawing package, and this is not included in some OEM versions (the one that CAMSoft sells, for instance). What you will do is create 2D drawings off of the 3D model. If you need a refresher on how to do this, go to the tutorials under "Help" - they are VERY useful!

Thanks for the help.

I'll try the drawing tutorial.

It is SW 2008 although it seems easier to use than 2009 (the one we used in the course).

The machine runs on Mach3. Is there a better program to use as a post for the gcode or is it something to do with the machine being a plywood machine. It has 8 inches of travel in the z-axis.

Hello WoodMizer,

You can also find some free SolidWorks tutorials online, do a Google search and hunt around some, you'll find them.

Most will probably be for SolidWorks 2010 but you may get lucky and find some for 2008 or perhaps the functionality of 2010 will be close enough to use with 2008. I don't really know as I've never used 2008.

Good luck and have a terrific weekend!
    Robert
    3D Accuracy

The machine runs on Mach3. Is there a better program to use as a post for the gcode or is it something to do with the machine being a plywood machine. It has 8 inches of travel in the z-axis.
    If you intend to do anything even remotely complex, you need to get a decent CAM package. Is most of your work 2.5D (flat areas at different heights), or will you be doing full 3D work (like a computer mouse shape, car, etc)?

I am using BobCAD v23 for CAM, and like it a lot. There are many posts on the 'Zone, though, that discuss the +'s and -'s of many different packages.

Here's an example of a part I took from SolidWorks for CAD, in to BobCAD for CAM, and machined in MACH3 on my MDF framed router:

http://public.fotki.com/mcphill/mcpi...g/intake-buck/

To anyone that can help.

Thanks,

WM.
    If you want to do 3D you may want to look at the Vectric products for your Cam. Easy to learn, and interacts very well with Mach3. Vectric 3D & Aspire can take STL files from SWX and creates Cam files.

Mike

ever since I loaded new version of mach and lazycam when I click make G code lazycam can't find my mach running. Am I missing a setting or something?