584,349 active members*
7,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > DeskCNC Controller Board > Deskcnc users, what CAM software are you using with this controller?

Deskcnc users, what CAM software are you using with this controller?

I am trying to decide what CAD/CAM package to use with my Deskcnc controller.

I am trying to decide between the Rhino CAD/CAM or the Onecnc XR express package. Both seem nice for the price although I have not yet done the online demo for Onecnc. I have been using the Rhino CAD evaluation and find it as advertised,Intuitive and powerful at a good price.

I see that Rhino/Visual Mill offers a 4th axis plugin for about $500. This has me leaning toward the Rhino/VM package.

Being new to this I am unsure of compatibility (postprocessor?) and or support with my Deskcnc controller. Anyone using the above mentioned CAD/CAM with Deskcnc?

Again, I hope I posted this is in the right place. Thank you, Chuck.

Either software packages you mentioned can interface with DeskCNC. Your software supplier should give you a post processor free of charge (if they have quality service). I have a customer using visual mill with deskcnc just fine, he sent a sample program to the visual mill distributor and had a post within 24hrs.

Good choice using deskcnc, great product!
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you Dave, The Deskcnc should be 'easy' enough to write a nice post processor for because it (Deskcnc) uses a nice collection of the G and M codes that are so common right?

It's always nice to hear these things from Independant persons. I don't mind salespeople it's just that sometimes they can be a bit anxious to say "oh yeah nooo problem" and since I don't really know what the heck I'm doing yet..Anyway

Thanks again Dave, I'm looking forward to the continued development of the Deskcnc products :cheers:

No worries, glad to help. If you are having any problems at all, please feel free to post them and I will help as best as I can.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i thaught with desk cncyou wouldnt be needing another cam program like mach turbocnc and so on
    just cad maybe i missed it

i'm not sure if any engraving is an option though most millingmachines lack the rpm's anyway