584,842 active members*
4,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > What are you using for solid modeling?

Question What are you using for solid modeling?

Hello All.
    I'm looking for some software for solid modeling. Could someone recommend a program that isn't too expensive and somewhat easy to use. Thank You for your time. Shane.

Autodesk Inventor...

It is not as robust (full featured) as Solid works or Solid edge...
    In fact for some of the tasks we need it for, it fails.

Regards,
    Scott_bob

I had used Autodesk's Mechanical Desktop, but my company had a seat of SolidWorks... I tried it for a couple of days, and have never gone back!

I realy like SolidWorks but for the money Alibre Design might be a concideration, it also comes with one of two basic cam package's, Spurt cam and Visual Mill basic, the other Plus is on line basic totorals. You can always down load a free demos for just about any thing you want to try. Rhino has Rhinocam and try this web Store for a good over view of whats out there and what it might cost. http://www.novedge.com/
    Good Luck

I am a big SolidWorks fan, but you must be prepared to pay, pay, pay
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

2_Jammer
    I am not sure what isn't too expensive means to you but I use OneCNC XR Mill, there is also XR Lathe, you will need at least the PRO version to work with solids I believe.

I have a little experience with Alibre but found OneCNC to be much easier (for me) to get something done and the integrated CAM is always a plus.

http://www.onecnc.net/index.htm

I too use SolidWorks, and I think it is probably the coolest program I have ever seen. Whereas many additional features on programs I've used in the past have just been seen as 'unnecessary toward the goal,' SolidWorks expansive feature set has really made me think outside of the box when it comes to what I am capable of designing.

For example, the new 2006 version has some very cool additions to the sheet metal tools, cool enough that it made me think of about 10 new products for my company to design, outsource manufacturing for, and sell.

Jason

I like VX because I strongly believe the concept of seamless, unified, hybrid modeling is the *only way* to go.

I don't feel that a solid only modeler can handle many real world situations.

I don't feel that a modeler that starts as a solid modeler and then tries to add surfacing is a good way to design a hybrid modeler.

VX is not perfect but it works the way I think a modeler should work and I like the direction it's developers are going with improving it's UI.

I like the FACT that VX develops it's own kernel.

I like the FACT that the CEO of VX is hands on and is the architect of VX:

http://www.vx.com/vorwaller.cfm

I have used SolidWorks and I don't feel SolidWorks is a good solution for a small job shop because of how poorly SolidWorks deals with non-native geometry. I have tried Alibre.... I don't feel Alibre makes proper use of the ACIS kernel. I stay as far away from Autodesk products as I can as I don't like how Autodesk does business although if I worked in a shop that I liked that used Autodesk stuff ( as I have in the past) I would find away to tolerate it... sort of like how I tolerate BOBCAD-CAM.

I'm looking forward to the release of VX 11 which represents a significant overhaul to VX's UI.

VX also has built in CAM including 5 axis simultaneous milling. I have not experimented much with VX's CAM package as I'm waiting for improvements and more documentation to be done on VX's advanced surface modeling.

I also like ThinkID but think3 is not an easy company to deal with as they are always changing marketing plans looking for a silver bullet that I don't believe exists. Having said that think3's Global Shape Modeling is in a class by itself, although given enough time VX maybe able to come close with it's morphing. VX is a better all around package than thinkID is.... better solids, built in CAM, much easier company to deal with than think3.

jon

I use Alibre XPress ( free version - but bought the documentation & training vids )