585,969 active members*
4,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.
Page 22 of 23 1220212223

Re: Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.

Frame size mainly, and cost partially. The 370 is the highest HP for the small frame motors, and I'm already going to have to mount the motor canted to the side to make it fit. I'd like to put it directly behind the spindle but with the big pulley there's no room to maintain my tool at the center of the Y travel, so I have to angle it out to the side. The 750 is even bigger.

OK, understood. From what I've seen of the 370, it should be up to the task.

Cheers,

Peter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Yeah I believe so. And it's just a taig so I don't know if it's lack of rigidity could handle something too powerful.

Sorry, didn't realise it was a Taig.

On my Taig, I have a 400W 180Vdc motor, that is very adequate.

The 370 will be more than enough. I'm very interested to hear how it turns out.

Cheers,

Peter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

https://youtu.be/N4VECs_mhBE

I just got it wired up a few minutes ago, and it spins! The adlee power motor/controller definately seems better than the problematic ones in previous posts. Doesn't seem to hunt for RPM, and seems much quicker on startup response. I can go from 0 to pretty much any RPM in <1sec, with no hunting until after I get up to about 4000rpm (6000 rpm motor, 2:1 pulley), and even then it's barely audible..

I'll get more videos up once I get everything straightened out, but I need to buy a new BOB first because my C10 doesn't have speed control. I'll run it manually to make some cuts so I can get a couple videos up.

Anyone aware of an alternative way to control spindle speed on a benchtop mill? I have a KBMM-125 controller with a Weiss 1.1Kw DC motor that I want to control with Mach3. My machine is a G0704. I've had bad luck trying to get CNC4PC boards to work (my experience only, not dissing CNC4PC, but I've decided to go a different route than the C6, C11GS, etc.). I've been trying to purchase a Homann DS-02, but they never seem to be in stock, and I get no response to inquiries about when (or if) they will be available again. My last resort was going with a PMDX-106, but no word on if they are available anymore from PMDX, not to mention they are end-of-life and no longer being supported. The replacement PMDX-107 lacks all of the features I need: ability to manual/auto switch control from enclosure panel, headers for external LEDs, and external potentiometer support for manual speed control. Not to mention, you have to purchase a completely new BOB in order to use it. Am I just out of luck, or is there a plan C? Thanks

You definitely need an FULLY ISOLATED controller, same or better specs than the DC-02, else the smoke will get out, to say nothing of the fried fingers.
    Very hard to find suitable isolated controller. Use DC-02 specifications, and keep searching.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by mrosso View Post
    Anyone aware of an alternative way to control spindle speed on a benchtop mill? I have a KBMM-125 controller...
    Get a KBS240D signal isolator to go with your KBMM-125 & it will FIX your CNC4PC/KB magic smoke issues! Here's one:KB Electronics Kbsi 240D Stand Alone Signal Isolator 9431 | eBay

I would send you one but I have to keep it as a back-up for my lathe. They come up on ebay often for peanuts. I got 2 for $20 used and they work great.
    Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

At $60 and 22 years old PCB design and IC3 at 37 years old, I would be VERY worried. Keep looking
    The transformer is VERY heat effected too, as is R1.
    IC2 (opto coupler) is ONLY 22 years old, and I have seen them die of old age at under 15 years.
    Offer them $5 including shipping, to let the smoke out.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Not really touting that particular one, just a way of showing what to be on the lookout for. At almost 69 yrs old, I LIKE old school PCB's; they work.
    Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

Neilw20 and Dickeybird, thanks guys for the quick and helpful input. I currently have a KB SI-6 board sandwiched on top of the KBMM-125. I believe this provides the same degree of isolation as the KBS240D, only integrated into the speed controller frame. Does that sound correct? Since I want to have switchable manual and Mach3 speed and relay (AC on/off) control, I'd like to have double protection (SI-6 and something like the DC-02 w/ DC-DC converter). Don't want to take any chances, and would like to keep the manual/auto setup simple and handled on the board, like it is on PMDX-106 and the DC-02. Hoping there is another option out there that I've missed. Thanks again!

Can anyone comment on this diagram? I believe this will work, but want to confirm before I bite the bullet and lay down $250 for PMDX hardware. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagram.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	336176

Is that a PMDX 126? Great board if so. Call Steve and ask him. They are very helpful.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Has any one had any luck , or even bothered with the Sungmutan Da Vinci code
    "◆Should provide 485 interface and TTL interface, which can be conveniently and communication"

Not knocking it, but just note that the motor is 3600 RPM and 6000 RPM stated is achieved by step up pulley ratio available for that RED MACHINE HEAD in the photos.
    It is also rated at 220VAC, and in NZ you have 240vAC
    From the specs, you will see 300VDC which is 220vAC. At 240vAC 337vDC and possibly as high as 355vDC when mains are a bit high.

From my experience you need to reduce your mains voltage a bit. Get a 240v - 20v, 10A transformer 250W frame, and put the 20v anti phase in series with mains of main unit.
    This will reduce mains input by 20vAC. The 220vAC stuff could eventually die prematurely, running on 240v.
    So you would be pushing it to round 2500W which might make a lot of the components marginal, life wise.

You can do a lot worse than this product.
    Try to screw them down on shipping.

If you are considering this for commercial sale, be aware that the PCB layout and tracks, will almost certainly fail on creepage distance for our electrical regulations (AUS and NZ)
    What machine will you be using this on?
    Got any photos?

I originally purchased the first model that got released ,... Wouldn't keep constant load on the tool ,... So after speaking to Zhang a few years later and seeing some real time cutting videos , I purchased the upgraded controller only , . its better than V1 , but its not ideal . if you scroll back you will find some videos i up loaded a few years ago . Haven't used my machine for awhile so have been playing with Pwm settings ( Usb Smoothstepper / DC 05 ) . .
    I mentioned to Zhang about our 240 V power , and he was assured me there would be no issues .

Do those work on 110V or just 220V?

Those will work at 220V, not 110V

Page 22 of 23 1220212223