584,879 active members*
5,352 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.
Page 19 of 23 91718192021

Re: Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.

I would say that you need an oscilloscope to actual determine that state of these functions. Perhaps someone has one that you can borrow so you can shed some light on the signals. Only then will you understand and be able to utilize them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
    I would say that you need an oscilloscope to actual determine that state of these functions. Perhaps someone has one that you can borrow so you can shed some light on the signals. Only then will you understand and be able to utilize them properly.
    Perhaps if I was looking for an issue but if others are utilizing the same output in curious why mine is different? The encoder is reading fine on drivers display so I would imagine the encoder is functioning properly. I don't have any other wires connect to the breakout board, perhaps it's a jumper setting?

My board is version A1.2, build date is 3/2014

Someone was looking for poly v pulleys. Ametric.com is a source I have used. You can purchase online from them. Prices are reasonable and selectin is very good. Takes a little searching on their sit to find though.

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    Perhaps if I was looking for an issue but if others are utilizing the same output in curious why mine is different? The encoder is reading fine on drivers display so I would imagine the encoder is functioning properly. I don't have any other wires connect to the breakout board, perhaps it's a jumper setting?

My board is version A1.2, build date is 3/2014
    Hi Chris , when i did my testing i couldn't get any read out on the RPM Dro in MachStdMill , my read out was only displaying on the factory lcd that comes with the driver , have you tried changing screens to factory?

After reading this i don't think the MSM rpm dro updates True spindle RPM DRO don't work | For Calypso Ventures User Groups go to www.CalypsoVentures.com/forums

i had this saved in my tech folder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Enable RPM in MachStd Mill combined.pdf  

I think this is your answer , read through this Calypso CNC User Forums ? View topic - RPM not shown

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nos View Post
    I think this is your answer , read through this Calypso CNC User Forums ? View topic - RPM not shown
    Those are awesome links and I will give it a go tomorrow. I have been wrestling with a probe issue that is intermittent, happens out of the blue with the probe tool, goes down, stops, then decides to go down again instead of up... I have been using it for a while now and it is very strange and I can't find the issue. I'm going to try the latest beta version of MSM tomorrow along with try those fixes for the rpm in MSM. Hopefully I fix two issues!

I have some new cool endmills I want to try out for the videos, but have been chasing gremlins since last week. Hopefully tomorrow I get them sorted and get the vids posted!

Thanks again for the links!

OK, for it licked, four is clean and working. Autocal was a bugger but I found a work around. My driver does not limit rpm at 6000 like the old one did, rather it will go to 8000rpm. I couldn't get the calibration completed without way over spinning the motor, so my fix was to turn down the voltage output pot on the pwm to analog converter board to 5v, the set rpm m3 s6500 in the MDI and slowly turn the voltage up on the pot until it matched. I set the pulley settings for 0-6550 and a ratio of 1... (Index offset in the smoothstepper config page is set to 2). Then I ran the auto calibration function through 3 times to iron out the low rpm range, sub 900rpm was giving it a fit.

Now finally for the first time since owning this motor setup, the commanded and actual rpm are within 3-4rpm of each other from start to finish, no more having to change the post to compensate!!!! Woo hoo!!!

So tomorrow is back to making parts and filming some video!

I also finally managed to complete Rpm Dro using index in MachStdMill , Using the Smoothstepper board wired direct to 2200w driver board , ... Which had its moments, ....I couldn't get an updated reading on rpm index with out using the Spindle Oem screen ( see link previous couple of posts ) I finally managed to get a accurate rpm ,by also changing the index on the Smooth config page to 2 , But for some strange reason ,When i ground S/P and F/R together and driveing the spindle with the Pwm Hz it turns Ccw . To get it to turn Cw i had to set Pin 17 as output 1 for M3 (active low) . .... The other problem that i had is Rpm speed is backwards ....M3 S1000 gives you 6000rpm at spindle and vise versa ,After the spindle calibration was run ,and the rpm numbers matched near perfect it still made no difference . . Don't like the way it has a big delay on stopping (8 secs) and often starts up again . Digi 05 card should be here next week , ..Wanted to succeed where i had crashed and burned that first attempt , ...

I also finally managed to complete Rpm Dro using index in MachStdMill , Using the Smoothstepper board wired direct to 2200w driver board , ... Which had its moments, ....I couldn't get an updated reading on rpm index with out using the Spindle Oem screen ( see link previous couple of posts ) I finally managed to get a accurate rpm ,by also changing the index on the Smooth config page to 2 , But for some strange reason ,When i ground S/P and F/R together and driveing the spindle with the Pwm Hz it turns Ccw . To get it to turn Cw i had to set Pin 17 as output 1 for M3 (active low) . .... The other problem that i had is Rpm speed is backwards ....M3 S1000 gives you 6000rpm at spindle and vise versa ,After the spindle calibration was run ,and the rpm numbers matched near perfect it still made no difference . . Don't like the way it has a big delay on stopping (8 secs) and often starts up again . Digi 05 card should be here next week , ..Wanted to succeed where i had crashed and burned that first attempt , ...
    Your F/R should be open for forward rotation, the only signal you need is to ground S/P. I also found I had a cleaner signal when running a ground wire from the end pin next to f-out to a gnd terminal on the bob.

Mine works fine now in MSM, nothing is backwards as you noted, but I am running the C41 pwm to analog converter.

That makes more sense ,...Perhaps my spindle rotation is not the only thing backwards this weekend ,.. (flame2)

That makes more sense ,...Perhaps my spindle rotation is not the only thing backwards this weekend ,.. (flame2)
    Hahaha, been there...

I was filming AMD for the very first time I suffered a TTS pullout.... My fault, I didn't notice the coolant stream was turned down and not on the tool.... But I killed a brand new $35 carbide 3 flute zrn coated end mill I was so excited to try..... Grrrrrrr.... Once it started to weld, it pulled down and just happened to be near the corner where the vice jaw was.... Took a nice cut through the vice jaw before I got to the e-stop...

I have 9 minutes of video because I forgot I was recording... Lol... Will have to see if I can figure out how to edit it to post it up.

Dont edit. Show us all the carnage. Many of us have scars on our vises, tables, clamps etc ;-)
    A lazy man does it twice.

Cutter and a vice Jaw ,.. Got a draw full of those ,... Windows Movie Maker , pretty straight forward to use , edit add tittle pages ,banners ,intros and its a Windows live add on , Posting videos is a different story, easiest way was to start your own You tube page and add links , unless your video is less than 500kbs i couldn't upload it , .....

Roll tape Action...:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Dont edit. Show us all the carnage. Many of us have scars on our vises, tables, clamps etc ;-)
    Uploading now, didn't edit the carnage, edited the 9 minutes of black pocket video after hit the e-stop... Will film some more tomorrow with coolant, it's a night and day difference.... Lol

Here ya go, its short, but then again, it's eventful... Haha

G0704 HSM Coolant Aiming blunder - YouTube

I actually found another issue and cause of the crash. I was changing the stock sizes for the new material I got in (trying to keep from having much waste and also from having to make to many cuts) and must have been tired or distracted because I only change the stock order to one side instead of splitting it, so one side was a nice light cut and the other side (crash side) was taking a 50% lol diameter depth of cut... With no coolant...

I guess if your gonna botch it up... Go big...hahaha... And luckily it only cost me a $35 end mill, and a vice jaw.

Just shows how you shouldn't use the phone in the car. You loses concentration as the sound changes, and estop reaction time turns to cr4p.
    Thanks for the post.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    Just shows how you shouldn't use the phone in the car. You loses concentration as the sound changes, and estop reaction time turns to cr4p.
    Thanks for the post.
    No doubt about it.... Made a home for y the phone and used a trips for the latest videos, uploading now for motor review, some are boring, not as eventful as the crash... Lol. But there's a little but of everything sad far as milling. Have a few links to work out with my flood, need to add a few more nozzles which came in earlier this week, but need to make a manifold for it first. Also need to grab another filter, I was out and removed it and that didn't work so well, there is a screen that let's smaller chips through and they kept clogging at the valve for the flex hose. Will post momentarily, last video is uploading now.

Here are some additional videos of the 2200watt BLDC... It should be noted that the rpm drop is brief and J umps back to the commanded rpm, this could be a little more aggressive in my opinion as its pretty stout once it stabilizes.

For reference, the heavier chip making cuts were done with a 3/8" 2-flute endmill, I lost my 1" flute length in the crash and it was unfortunately my last one so I was using a (way too long) 1.5" flute length endmill. Normally I only do that if I need to mill something deep and would not be as aggressive with it. To much chatter from the deflection.

Feeds and speeds for the pocketing and outside roughing operations at depth are:

Edited, grabbed wrong part specs...

2-Flute 3/8" hss non coated endmill 1.5" flute length, 36.4ipm, 25% step over, .0028" per tooth chip load, 3/4" depth of cut.

You can see in the second video the chip size is pretty meaty and they pile up fast, can also see as they get shot on the back of the enclosure and front window.

On the rpm drop, once dug in the motor dips and come back to 6500rpm and just muscled through merrily. I that's the most aggressive cuts I've taken with a 2 flute, generally I use a 4 flute 1" flute length rougher which is significantly smoother and with the flood coolant doesn't have near the chip pile up as the 2 flute. Guessing it is due to the chip breaking properties of the serrated OD.

Wish my 3 flute hadn't bit the dust in the crash, but I have some more coming to try properly with adequately aimed coolant, 3 nozzles total next time!

So here you go:

G0704 2200w BLDC, Z axis stepper mount, part 1 - YouTube

G0704 2200w BLDC, Z axis stepper mount, part 2 - YouTube

G0704 2200w BLDC, Z axis stepper mount, part 3 - YouTube

G0704 2200w BLDC, Z axis stepper mount, part 4 - YouTube

G0704 2200w BLDC, Z axis stepper mount, part 5 - YouTube

I've got a Taig 2019 that I would like to upgrade with the 1100W setup. I've got an ESS and a C10 BoB. What else do I need for this setup electronic-wise? I knowni need to make a mount and make/purchase pulleys. Is there ANYTHING else I need? I don't have a lot of time at home so I'd like to have everything ready for next time I'm in port.

Page 19 of 23 91718192021