585,922 active members*
3,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam Training

Mastercam Training

I'll tell you a little about myself before I ask some questions. I graduated high school 3 years ago and have been working at an extrusion company. I'm currently an EDM Machinist. At first and I still sometimes don't like my job, but I have gather a lot of interest with the drafting and programming aspect of the industry in the last year. I have been learning Rhino and Mastercam in the last 3-4 months.

About 8 months ago, there was an opening in the programming department, which I applied but the supervisor said someone else already asked. Later I found out that my supervisor didn't want to lose me in his department and the programming supervisor had asked the other guy (in house) if he wanted to learn programming. The other guy has been there just little over a year. This makes me feel like I'm stuck in a dead end job.

I'm currently getting paid 16.45 which is good for a 21 year old...I think and I'm still living with my parents (I have enough money saved up for community college) Reason I stayed at my job and lived at home is, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.

I have been learning Mastercam with the In House Solution Textbooks.I'm really taking interest in this. I have been thinking more about this has a career, and this is why I'm making this post. There is no community college that teaches mastercam in my state so I would have to move to another state.

I'm wondering what is the best eduction I could get to help me get a job as a mastercam programmer? I have been looking at the Vincennes University Precision Manufacturing Department in Indiana, which looks like a really good program. I've also been thinking about taking Mastercam University classes and taking the certification at a mastercam reseller. At first I was gonna buy a K2 CNC machine and build guitars/furniture on the side (I would have to get RhinoCam which would lead me to learn another CAM software to learn)but finding Vincennes, I would have to save up more money to pay for college. I know it's all about how I learn the material best, but I'm wondering what I need to do to get a job as a mastercam programmer? I would save a lot of money if I took Mastercam University and not went to Vincennes University. I don't like to spend my hard earn money very quickly.

Thanks for your suggestions.

one of the things you can start with is the cds from tips for manufacturing from mike mattera.next thing is the mastercam university.one of the most important things is to get as much practical experience machining parts so you u can make good tooling decisions.I started out as a mnual machinist and did a state certified apprenticeship for journeyman machinist papers.after that i moved onto a shop to get my cnc knowlwdge as an operator.this way i was familiar with machining and tooling and toolpaths.i then took some training at my reseller.i now program set up and run machines.finding a job as just a programmer is hard to find. its better to be able to take a job from start to finish.keep on truckin you ll get there.

Hmmmm, somehow you are reminding you of me. I were like you when I'm at your age, didn't want to be a machinist, want to be a CAM programmer once get their I don't like to seat behind the desk at all the time so I choose to be on floor and stay their since.

Anyway, everyone has their own way to see thing, Somebody out there will disagree my advice I giving you blah blah it's perfectly normal. Well, You want to be CAD/CAM programmer go for it, don't let's anyone tell you diffirence. My suggest to you is sign up a class with Mastercam university and get a certificate, it's cheap, fast and save money. However, Don't aspect to get a job right away and know/can do everything. You already in this bussiness for couple years, know that there is no subtitute for experience. As you already learn that when start EDM position, did it take you couple years to absord? same with milling center, and I said might be more. You will have the tough decision if you want learn mill. You might need to find a diffirence job for less/work something out with you employer if you want to learn milling, 'cause your superivor will afraid loose to you again.

The best education to get you a job as Mastercam programmer is EXPERIENCE. Many company specialy big company require at least 2 years degree.

Whatever you do, don't quite your day job, unless have to.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

The choice is between Tactics and Strategy. Going back to school would be the biggest investment. No shift supervisor will be making decisions for you. Your experience should help in class. Success is enjoying what you do. Compensation will eventually arrive.

Crawl before you can walk. Walk before you can skip. Skip before you can jog. Jog before you can run. You get the idea? You cannot go to any kind of school and come out a CNC Programmer for anyone. You'd be a babe in the woods for sure and run away at the sight of the first wild animal you encountered.
    You need to get a job on manual machining then graduate on up to CNC Operator then move on up to programming if you want to be successful at it. It takes years to do and doesn't happen overnight. I would not want to run your programs if you just got out of some school and didn't have the basics down yet. My safety and life is far more important to me than helping you learn programming.
    There is nothing wrong with EDM. Except that the dielectric fluid and the fumes are nasty for you. But hey, so is the water soluable cutting fluids for CNC Machines. School is nice though with the clean classrooms and books and all that. But I'll take "on the job training" anyday over that and get paid while I'm learning and accuire way more knowledge and tools of the trade in the process and get out of the parents house and their rule. Stick with it....you got a good job right now and you've learned a valuable lesson. It's not so much what you know but more who you know that gets you the job you really want. But be ready to full fill your supervisors dreams and wishes then move on to another challenge. I've worked in about 30 different shops and jobs each one a little different and worked as a programmer now for over 10 years using Mastercam and Alphacam and even Surfcam. It's been a great ride and I earn over $50,000.00 a year. I am currently looking for my next job at the age of 61 and am trying to decide on 2 different employers which way I want to go. Job shop as apposed to production shop. I wouldn't be where I am today if I'd spent it in a classroom. Sorry for the long response.
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

good luck bud

Step 1:
    Save Money's $$$

Step 2: Come to San Jose, CA ( Silicon Valley )

Step 3:
    Go to DeAnza College
    http://www.deanza.edu/

Step 4:
    Start the CNC Machinist Program
    http://www.deanza.edu/manufacturing/

Step 5:
    Become good friends with Mike Appio

Step 6:
    Ask Mike to hook you up with a good shop or internship program

Step 7:
    Live in your car
    shower at the gym
    save lots of money

Step 8:
    Work Hard and Dont Look Back

Step 9:
    Look at all the jobs on craigs list in bay area...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/j...cnc&srchType=A

Step 10:
    CNC is very good for young people,

lots of old machinist are retiring,

About meh,

21 year olds
    doing a paid internship at nasa ames research center as a cnc programmer
    almost done with my program at deanza
    want to start my own machine shop after i get my degree

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    I'll tell you a little about myself before I ask some questions. I graduated high school 3 years ago and have been working at an extrusion company. I'm currently an EDM Machinist. At first and I still sometimes don't like my job, but I have gather a lot of interest with the drafting and programming aspect of the industry in the last year. I have been learning Rhino and Mastercam in the last 3-4 months.

About 8 months ago, there was an opening in the programming department, which I applied but the supervisor said someone else already asked. Later I found out that my supervisor didn't want to lose me in his department and the programming supervisor had asked the other guy (in house) if he wanted to learn programming. The other guy has been there just little over a year. This makes me feel like I'm stuck in a dead end job.

I'm currently getting paid 16.45 which is good for a 21 year old...I think and I'm still living with my parents (I have enough money saved up for community college) Reason I stayed at my job and lived at home is, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.

I have been learning Mastercam with the In House Solution Textbooks.I'm really taking interest in this. I have been thinking more about this has a career, and this is why I'm making this post. There is no community college that teaches mastercam in my state so I would have to move to another state.

I'm wondering what is the best eduction I could get to help me get a job as a mastercam programmer? I have been looking at the Vincennes University Precision Manufacturing Department in Indiana, which looks like a really good program. I've also been thinking about taking Mastercam University classes and taking the certification at a mastercam reseller. At first I was gonna buy a K2 CNC machine and build guitars/furniture on the side (I would have to get RhinoCam which would lead me to learn another CAM software to learn)but finding Vincennes, I would have to save up more money to pay for college. I know it's all about how I learn the material best, but I'm wondering what I need to do to get a job as a mastercam programmer? I would save a lot of money if I took Mastercam University and not went to Vincennes University. I don't like to spend my hard earn money very quickly.

Thanks for your suggestions.

VoKuS, say Hi to Derek for me..tell him Jay from Mastercam says hi.. thanks.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Lots of different type of training available for Mastercam. Some like Books, other like the on-line/on-demand type of video streamed from the web.

We produce video training on a CD. It's easy to take with you and you always have it available. It never expires like a subscription service and does not require a high speed internet connection. Runs on any PC with a CD drive (of course a DVD drive will work also).

Check us out at
    http://www.tipsformanufacturing.com or at...
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com/store/2...ategory/342301
    where we also offer training for Solidworks and Inventor.

We also have some freebees on YouTube.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TFMTraining
    Theres a 3 part video introduction to the Mastercam interface.

Feel free to call if you have any questions.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    VoKuS, say Hi to Derek for me..tell him Jay from Mastercam says hi.. thanks.
    Will do, im doing the 3rd mastercam class with him next quarter...

Wink

Hi Jay, what's new?

thanks for the plug vokus, let me know who you are behind that avatar, serious extra credit coming your way

and for those of you who don't want to live in your car in San Jose, check out
    eapprentice.net

Derek

crawl, walk, run

take the classes bud, it's an investment. I have comeup through the ranks, and I know it helps alot when you are planning out a job, but everybody is on the short track now. Get a job as a machinist on the side if you can, work towards the newer multi axis machines. I started this before cam existed, went to compact and compact II, all my 3d sculpturing had to be done mathematically, there was no modeling or GUI. Aerospace had some real challenges too. then unigraphics, catia, eventually MC and bobcad, surfcam.
    I have had contract work for other companies when they want it (like that, dont have to leave the mountains). Thing is, what you start to build now will grow, and knowledge cant be taken away from you. You got the whole world in front of ya. Good luck, and have fun.