584,854 active members*
4,347 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

View Poll Results: Who works in manufacturing, machinist or programer, both

Voters
1442. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do it all, program, setup and run a CNC machine daily.

964 66.85%
  • I setup & run a machine, but I dont do much/any programming.

98 6.80%
  • All I do is program CNC machines.

151 10.47%
  • Im into CNC as hobby right now. It is not how I earn a living.

261 18.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123

Hybrid View

Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

I started out as a cnc operator/trainee. Did that for about 6 years, and have been programming cnc's full time for the last 7 years. Just wondering who else on cnczone works in manufacturing.

Been in the trade since 1975. Started on the burr bench. Started programming about 10 years ago. Been a full time programmer using MasterCam for last 7 years
    Insanity "doing the same thing and expecting a different result"
    Mark

www.mcoates.com

15 years machining 5years programming one yearmanufacturing technician

6 years in shipping/recieving.
    5 years of set up, and operating. I also handled all tools for the shop, ordering, organizing, and stocking.
    It was real nice always haveing the exact tool I wanted for the job.
    3 of those years I was the assistant programer.
    I am currently the inspector.
    I still program every now and then, maybe two or three times a week.
    Mostly I inspect and make the process sheets to go along with our jobs.

took machining in HS since i was 16, made stuff for freinds in garage (Hotrods!) for about 10yrs, became auto mechanic 10yrs, then machinist/cnc operator for 2years, opened business its been about 7 years and now have lots of toys (10 machines!). ITs been a rollercoaster ride though! We are currently going up hill waiting for the next down turn saving our penny's.

wouldn't trade it for anything!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

worked weekends and summers sweepin chips n drilling holes at age 12 in my fathers shop quit school at gr 10 and worked at the shop conventional machining and taking the crap load for the shop machinists and welders.went out west and took on a shop foreman job at a fab shop machining came home and managed his shop for three years or so then bought it and have had it for 3 yrs now and still machining i love the job. I just bought my first cnc mill last week and this is how i found this site i think its great to share help and learn thanks a lot

I do all 3. Wouldn't accept anything else ! In our shop most operators don't

1 year at the machine shop, a few years in my own shop. I am the only one there who knows how to run cam programs
    other than that its a sweet shop.

Jon

Hi Guys
    I started as an fitter and turner on a 4 year Apprentiship. 2nd year i was programming c.n.c. lathes. 4 years running them. Then went into production planning for 2 years only (could'nt handle sitting on my butt for that long ).
    Back out onto the floor as a programmer and planner with 7 c.n.c. lathes and 1 Vertical machining centre. Spent the next 8 years in that postion.
    My company them brought out their main compediter and i spent 1 year getting their machines up to speed, before they brought them over to our main factory and sold off the old one. Stayed for another year and then left to the place where i are currently working.
    I now run a Okuma MB56va machining centre, Fanuc wire cutter and Surface grinder and have got back onto the tools. Small toolroom in a company that has started to make their own press tools. Got out of the production side of things and now know i should of done it years ago.
    Now programme with Mastercam and love it.

Cheers Darren

My machining career started 20 years ago on conventional mills & lathes and I still machine with the same Tree tool & die mill and Cadillac engine lathe. I started programming, setting up and running CNC machines 10 years ago when I started my own shop. In addition to machining and programming I do a lot of cad work. And I'm also the master broom pusher.

Hey darren,
    Welcome to the zone!!
    Good to see you here.

PEACE

I did my apprenticship in the mid 80" as a fitter and turner then in the mid 90's started on cnc's with a colchester cnc 350 then onto a tornado 200 @300.Then i went onto machining centers hitachi seiki,doosan,and okuma alwasy done it all thats the way i learnt to do it. and i think there is some merit to that as you can teach most people to operate them and just push the go button ( we had a mechanic working a tornado fo a while) but programming takes a lot more.When i was shown cnc's 3 days training from scratch on programming and it is all yours.The colledges over the last year in brisbane have just started running cnc courses for opperators and programming which i think is about 5 years to late and i wish i could have done some in the 90's.

kerry

Hi,

I started a fitting apprenticeship in 2004 for an ex company of Horstman in Bath UK, now its 2008 I am still an apprentice, been programming and operating XYZ 4000VM Milling Machine, for the last 8 months, now being trained on our new DOOSAN PUMA 240 Turning Centre and DOOSAN MYNX 410 Maching Centre, in the new year I will be progressing on to learning BobCAD-CAM.

Absolutely love machine would never go back to fitting.

Smile need ur expertise...

hye all..im a newbie..
    dont know if anyone is reading this

im a student currently pursuing my bachalors..i am constructing an interfacing electro fitting project for my final project subject..would need ur expert assistant on my project..hope u guys could guide me through the completion of my project..thank u..

I do it all. At least I'm trying too

I've had my ez-router useing bobcad for about 2 years now. I started out and learned how to run the Cad, Cam, and router by myself just cutting out flat parts for video game cabinets, now I don't do much of that simple programming and cutting anymore. It's very satisfiying when you learn a new operation and actually cut it, but it is very discouraging sometimes because I'm trying to learn it on my own. All you guys on here have been very helpfull with the information that you provide. THanks,

cutter22

Most of my work involves program, setup and running of the cnc. Sometimes i need to design/redesign first then do progamming, setup and running of the cnc. I build my own jigs (i hate other people's jigs & fixtures, LOL!). Then sometimes i have to do project management on the stuff i source out.....
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

I voted doitall But 80+ % of the time I'm programming and setting up tools and maint.. I operate the machine as needed when the regular is on vacation or tied up with another project, so I'm on it every week.

I am just a helper here but I enjoy learning new things in our cnc machine shop :rainfro:.

can anybody help me out?plzz

i have got a stepper motor and a 5A h-bridge for 5 wire stepper.
    i bought a breakout board which buffers the parallel port output to 5V+.
    now i want to run my stepper through parallel port using Turbocnc cam software.

I am confused about the phase definations in the axis configuration.can you help me how to define phases in the phase definations?
    http://www.dakeng.com/man/turbocnc.html#_Toc90515682
    this is a link to the Turbocnc help with photos even.
    but still my motor is not running.

can u tell me how to set pins 2,3,4,5 for stepper pulses?
    hope you can help.
    jasminder singh

Re: Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

Youngquist Brothers inc. in Ft Myers, FL is seeking an experienced machinist. Experience programming CNC lathes and mills a must. Experience operating manual lathes, mills, and drill presses also required. A candidate can expect to work on various short run projects.

Our current machine selection consists of:

Okuma Captain L370MW CNC lathe with OSP-P100 control with bar feeder
    Okuma LH55-N CNC lathe with OSP-E100L control
    Okuma OSP700L CNC lathe
    Mazak vertical traveling column mill VTC-20B with Mazatrol M plus control
    Kuraki KV-2000 CNC vertical machining center mill with a Fanuc series 16-M controller
    Work schedule is Monday-Friday, 7am-4pm with an hour for lunch.
    Health, dental, vision, and life insurance is offered after 90 days.
    Job Type: Full-time
    contact Mike Curry 239-489-4444 x212

Page 1 of 11 123