584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

View Poll Results: Who works in manufacturing, machinist or programer, both

Voters
1442. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do it all, program, setup and run a CNC machine daily.

964 66.85%
  • I setup & run a machine, but I dont do much/any programming.

98 6.80%
  • All I do is program CNC machines.

151 10.47%
  • Im into CNC as hobby right now. It is not how I earn a living.

261 18.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 11 678910
    I work in manufacturing and I'm the programmer. I don't have the convience of writing programs by means of the computer I have to write all of our part programs by hand. Makes the job a little harder but I feel I learn more of the machine codes and what they do and what the different moves and canned cycles are. I've been running all manual D.R.O lathes for a few years and running the cnc has been a challenge at first but now its pretty easy since you see the code every day and know what each one does. I get a kick out of old programs I wrote a few months ago when I first started and go and totally rewrite them and ask myself what were you thinking on some of the stuff. I've cut our cycle times drastically since we first got our cnc lathe.

Hello,
    Started as an apprentice tool room machinist 30 years ago. Now I program using Edge Cam and occasionally I do some machining when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Combat28Mech View Post
    I get a kick out of old programs I wrote a few months ago when I first started and go and totally rewrite them and ask myself what were you thinking on some of the stuff. I've cut our cycle times drastically since we first got our cnc lathe.
    Wait a few years and then look back again, you'll be saying the same thing, possibly even worse, LOL.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Been running cnc's since 85. Today I feel spoiled with the new ones. I currently Program and run a Mits FA10S wire, a couple Charmilles wires, Hard turn on a Mazak Quick Turn, and an Anca PGX punch grinder. They make some sweet cnc's now a days!

worked during the summer in a few of my dads shops from about age 16 or so on and off. Didnt learn too much, just mostly ran the machines, load part press go kind of thing. I started full time in june, and now I can program and set up both milling and turning pieces fairly confidently, my only real issue is the lack of experience on speeds and feeds regarding material type and the tools used (im not terrible though, i can make a part nice). Im starting to learn a citizen k16 that we got, and no one knows the control so im going to be sent for training and it will basically become 'my' machine We have an L20 but I have yet to program on it, I can run it and operate and do some tool changing and set up though. its fairly easy to follow, its just I have to learn all the new M and G commands, and its a matter of getting time on it as im usually running multiple things at once.

loving my job

boss mentioning something about gibbs and other softwares, but I kinda dig manual programming. I want to get into macros for complex operations and that kind of thing.

Ive been in the machining industry for 7 years now started out as a button jockey on a hass an okuma. Went on and had some training on setups. Now I work for a mineing machinery manufacturer. I currently set-up, program, and operate an okuma lb35 and love it. I dont have any further education that high school. What Ive learned has been by trial and error. I'm very confident with the IGF that okuma uses. I'm decent with mazatrol. Can program hass as long as it has the visual quick codes to help me. And with the of the forums on this website I can learn more.

I statered pushing buttons by mistake back in 1990 on cnc lathes, I did like it so I started reading books to learn how to set up the machines, then I attended Fullerton College in California to be a programmer where I learned a lot. Now I worked as a CNC programmer. I use Mastercam X4 to program Okuma lathes, Miyano lathes, One Hass mill, Fadal mill and Matsuura mill, Multicam router two Makak lathes and also I do set up and some times I do run a machine.

I am almost 23, I started machining in a Wood shop (routers/manual mills to make jigs and fixtures for the other areas of the shop, lathes, radial arm drills that sorta crap). It was a hellish job (one of those littleman complex bosses who liked to berate people) stuck it out for 3 years though (with only 1 raise during that time) and then I got a job at Giddings and Lewis machine tools.

There I worked in the large parts division, picking up parts with a crane, setting em up, proving and writing programs, setting up tools, etc, etc, learned alot from the old dogs and worked alot of OT (about 80 hours a week for a 9 month stretch hahaha)

Worked there for a year and a half about till the economy took a major ****, was out of work for a day before I wound up in a place that made/repaired some metal parts, but most of the work was graphite/carbide/copper/carbon composites.

During this time (last few months) I had been thinking of opening my own shop and what not and I am midway into signing my life away for a loan for a building (bought an old Devlieg Jig bore and an ancient G&L Boring bar with money I was saving up for a house lol)

Just got a job in a shop that does large parts (going to be running a floor bar with 45' in X and 13' in Y). Going to work there till I can make my own business profitable, or do both and double dip

I've worked in afew shops that do smaller parts and theres just something about parts like that, that does not click with me, give me a 50 ton casting any day and Ill be happy to whittle away on it, give me a 5 pound casting and ill Just get bored (doesn't seem challenging enough to me, course i've never tried to program any smaller 5 axis stuff that would probably be fun)

ive been programing since 87
    im the only one at our shop that can program
    it can be challenging with no help line
    but ive been able to get anything that has come up
    im wandering how much money someone should making
    i have an 8th grage education so im sure i should be making more
    not complaining though

Dear all,
    I'm 40years old,.. i.ve been working for cnc from 1996.
    starting by operate cnc <morry seiki vertical machine centre> create program by hand,
    then learn CAD_CAM unigrapihcs = create design product 2D and 3D also generate program for CNC. Then learn MasterCAm . now I'm work as service Engineer and I love it .
    that' all
    regards

I started grinding burrs off of waterjet cut parts, then eventually operated 3 ingersoll-rand waterjets (simultaneously) on 3rd shift in 2000. In 2001, my company purchased a 3KW Trumpf that I programmed and operated, then learned to maintain and repair.
    I then took on a management role and have since become part owner of the company. We have since replaced our IR waterjets w/ Flow, added a Trumpf 4KW, and are soon ordering a 5KW Trumpf w/ tube cutting.

Yet available?

Quote Originally Posted by tejano4life72 View Post
    Whats up guys? I've been machining for 12 years and programing for 11 years. I have been writing programs for Cnc Swiss Lathe "Citizen and Nomura" for 11 years now. I just dont wirte them I also set them up.
    Are you available yet? We have two refurbished Nomuras, one NN16BII and NN16H. Zero experience with swiss screw machines.

I started out right out of my freshman yr of college working at a small shop that made parts for the automotive industry. I ran three different lathes and and did all the material cutting on 1st shift. Within a yr i left and went an aircraft interior company and learned a 3-axis CNC router. The programmer here was so bad that he inspired me to take his job and I did less than a yr later after teaching myself Mastercam X2. I took over programming in April of 07 and I still do 100% of it myself using X4. While programming i would come in early and stay later every day and I taught myself Catia V5 in a few short months. I now have an operator for the machine and I do Design Engineering and still do all the programming.

As of last week there will be some changes as the lead Design engineer is quitting and I will hopefully be assuming that role and will phase myself out of everyday programming except for the difficult programs. Im 25 now and been at the current company just under 5yrs and i use this site all the time when faced with new challenges.

I'm also currently looking into possibly changing companies and getting into 5-axis programming/machining as well. I'm always keeping my eyes for ways to advance and better myself and my education

I started my shop a year ago. I developed a product for the automotive aftermarket scene. I needed parts machined, but, I couldn't find a shop that would do it for a fair price, not treat me as an idiot and that didn't suffer from MSDS (my **** don't stink). I taught myself mastercam and I'm currently putting up a new building for my equipment. Btw, I'm just turning 59....it's never to late.

i started out working in my gandfathers shop moldmaker worked in many job shops running and programing many types of cnc's and now i work as a mori service man

I started in programming, setup & running a Mazak 500 watt laser machine. I was told at that time I would never be as good as my father was. Now 20 years later, being named the best programmer in the southeast. Wonder who is better? I currently program a TRUMPF TL2525 laser machine.

After 32 years in the trade, there's not much I haven't seen. Started out using a flexwriter and drafting board to program both mills and lathes. Now it's all Solidworks and Mastercam.

"being named the best programmer in the southeast"
    How do you get named is there and org. or something ...just wondering
    :cheers:

i have been machining since high school. have 2/3 of a degree in aerospace machining and fabrication. and ten years of hard knock. i taught myself autocad, mastercam, and surfcam, and had a one week crash course on image (dos based with a track ball) oh , and i can 3d on that ! ill be 30 this year. for the last six years i have been in the role of cnc programmer/supervisor/setup guy/operator/inspector at 2 different companies. i would never be so arrogant as to call myself the best in the southeast. however i have only ever met 4 maybe 5 people who can do the programming im capable of .

hey folks?im a 20 year old kid who has been doing machinning for 3 years now.i work for a small company making aerospace parts.i run 2 haas sl 20s and 1 haas mini mill.as a youngster id like to ask tips on how to become more advanced in this trade as im fascinated by it.i started here deburring parts and moved up to a cnc operator now i just got promoted to the night shift supervisor and im in the process of learning programming with gibbs cam.im completely new with the programming part so any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.i hope someday i become as good as all you guys.if siomeone decides to give some advice you can p.m me as im learning how to use this site through my mobile phone.thanks to you all.

Page 8 of 11 678910