584,805 active members*
5,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: V17 users???

V17 users???

I need ehlp from any and all v17 users. I have over 500 .dgn files from very early Bobcad/Cam software, as in way back before windows, that I need to filter through and transfer from a cd to my v17. I have tried this 3 different times seperated by months at a time and I get the same thing happening. Floating point error, over flow! Is this a bug in 17?

I don't want to have to fix the old pc these drawings are on if I don't have to. It is slow....slooow......slloooooooooooow.

Help?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Mike,
    i'm not familiar with v17. Do you have access to something like SolidWorks. It's very powerfullon importing dgn's....
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

what op sys are you running ????? is it the same as your old puter????

i have probs with some of the older stuff not running or reading in xp one solution i found was a fix on xp http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767

not sure if this will help but anything poss. i guess hard to think at 2 a.m.
    headed out of town for weekend but will see if i can access puter at friends house

Hi Klox.

Nope on the Solidworks. I have Rhino but it does not import .dgn files

Strat you may well have hit on the problem. The old pc uses Bobcad dos version. I did kinda find a work around though. I also had saved all my .tap files so I have backplotted the corresponding tap file saved it as a .cad file and can work on it from there.

Thanks for the help'

Mike

Mike how many files you want to import? Can you zip and post one or two, so that i can try importing them into SW, exporting to BobWIRE/BobCAD, save it as dxf's and cad's and return them to you....
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by turmite
    I have over 500 .dgn files from very early Bobcad/Cam software, as in way back before windows, that I need to filter through and transfer from a cd to my v17.
    Vector Cad supports the DOS Bobcad 12, both DGN and ASC file formats. You could download the 30 day demo and see if it will convert to something that Bob17 understands.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

I think old Bobcad's dgn file type was totally its own. There is no cross compatability with other softwares. Your best bet might be to export from old Bobcad in dxf, into newer Bobcad, then save it.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Try one of these in this zip file. Saved in Vector 10 today. If you have an old version of Auscad, it will also open DOS bobcad .dgn files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey guys thanks for all the help. I actually got my old pc running again and will start making dxf conversions next week. Once those are done I'll start the transfer.

Klox there are something over 600 programs. Needless to say it is not a task I am looking forward to. I will wait to see if this pc works long enough before doing any zipping. I don't mind showing the files or anything it's just the time thing right now.

huflung thanks for the info about the file type. I can't believe that they put the option in 17 to open .dgn files if it won't open them.........well it will open them temporarily. It just shuts down after opening the drawing!

Fred thanks for the offer and would have taken you up on the offer. If this old pc gives it up before I get done I may still take you up!

Mike

Version 18 still could import Bobcad dgn files, so I'm guessing that version 17 could have, too.

I think you've got a case of "Bobcobbelitus", which occurs when the program keeps crapping out because of a bad file save in your temp folder. Clean out your temp folder and try it again.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hu are you talking abaout a temp folder in Bobcad? If so I am gonna need some help finding it. I keep my system temp files cleaned on a regular basis.

Mike

Lightbulb Bobcad probs

Hi
    With bob-cad v.17 or 18 and if you are using win.98 you will need to download the 98 patch from bobcad website. It is not the temp files you need to cleanup it’s the windows registry file. That is where bobcad stores its default boo boo’s if too many are created it will bomb out frequently. If you are not familiar with editing your registry DON’T. I have a utility program that will clean up V17 & V18 registry, I cannot post it here but email me and I will send it to you. A very important issue that you need to due in order to keep this issue to a minimum is when you want to exit bobcad close the drawing file first before closing the main program, when you shut down bobcad you should see a blank bobcad screen. I also have V#17 and all 4 training CD’s + all training documents for sale…. I am using V18 now…. I hope this helps

Acinch
    Another Certified BobCAD Programmer

Bobcad crashes because it trys to load a corrupt file. The windows registry only contains the path that Bobcad uses to find the last opened file, and that is why the crash occurs. Deleting the link from the registry is one way to kill the problem, but deleting the file is equally effective.

In Win9x, the temp folder was the windows temp folder. But in Win 2000 or WinXP, the individual user's temp folder is protected by default. You have to enable this in windows explorer by going to Folder options, view, and change the bullet to "show hidden files and folders".

Then, you can find your "personal temp folder" underneath Documents and settings/ Your user name/ local settings/temp.

That's where the garbage ends up. I regularly delete everything from this folder. Even without Bobcad, there's lots of junk put in there.

Question

I did not say to delete the default in the registry this will cause the program to stop working all together. I agree that a lot of junk accumulates in the temp. Folder and should be cleaned on regular basis, I got a program from sorin (bobcad Vegas Training seminar)…. it will clean the bobcad registry folder leaving only the defaut. As I said before the windows registry is not for the novice user and should always be backed up before attempting a cleanup.
    Bobcad can crash for many different reasons; we have been using it for 4 years now and have seen all kinds of crashes some even bobcad techs cannot explain. Some programs may never come back because the get corrupted for a number of reasons, I worked for bobs dads shop many years ago and when we used the old dos version there were some issues then, it could be as simple as a dos issue with version 6.0 or 6.22 or v5 but I do agree with you on pulling them in and resaving them as a .DXF file I know with some of my older saved to floppy’s (5 1/4”) transferring them I had better luck using a old computer using dos bobcad to transfer them to .DXF. We still keep several older computers max with RAM one with just dos, one with old windows before 3.1(guess what ver#), one with windows3.11, one 98SE, one 2000pro and XP Pro just for those issues problems and one of our old machines only likes to talk to 98SE and dos6.2 (plus some of those old games you just cant stop playing)
    But there is a proper shut down and you can give Glenn a call at bobcad to further explain this, you can tell him that Acinch sent you. he is a nice guy and is willing to help anyone he can. But you have to call normal hours east coast time. I was only trying to help and offer a suggestion that might help. Did not mean to step on any toes…. ouch…or give any misleading info.
    Well, were are closing early and going fishing got estimated 10 hour job done in 61/2 and going to take the guys out on the lake…………

Hang lose and keep your worm wet your pole stiff and your line tight…”FISH ON”

Acinch
    :wave:

Hi Acinch,

YOu didn't step on any toes. I don't know if you know who Hu is (hey that sounds pretty good) but he was at one time a quasi-support person for the Bobcad products, at least here.

I thank all of you that have offered your help on this issue. I run a 1800 Amd which is a 1.5 ghz processor. I have xp pro and know much more about Bobcad than I do Windows. I will email Sorin since we are friends and see if he can offer any advice.

I will say that one of the folks at Bobcad (not sales) told me this was an inherent problem with 17. Looks to me like that it ought to still be considered a bug and fixed.

Mike

Too All

Hi guys
    I too use bobcad a lot and I like to build computers. Working in Silicon Valley will do that to you. I was trained by sorin he likes me to show up now at his classes to help out and joke around…we had a blast in Vegas.
    I know Betty jean, bob and most of the techs at bobcad. Tell sorin the ponytail guy says hi! He will know who I am. I thought HuFlung was mad, my mistake. I am glad there is someone like him around sometimes I have questions too with V18 maybe we can help each other out here (that why were all here isn’t?). Well I hope we can all be friends here and give each other a hand when we can…Sorry again I do not claim to know it all by no means I just keep plugging away…me I would rather be fishing but I must say my second love is still machining (use too be first but???). Like I said before I have V17 and the training manuals and will be selling my V#19 with 2 Seats soon, never been registered. I may be bailing out on bobcad for CAM but will use it for CAD we can draw 2-3D Geometry very quick with it and it does make good prints. If we can be of any help let us know.
    I started my 4-year Tool & Die apprenticeship in 1974 (does that make me old now???) Switched to prototyping in 1984 been happier ever since. And for V17 it does have some limitations but for the time and for the average user it does well, the use to post updates and patches for 17 on their site but they are not there anymore.
    I will take a look around on one of my older machines I may have copy’s of those downloads; also ask sorin he may still have some too.
    And to huflung… keep up the good work :cheers:

Bye for now :wave:
    Acinch :banana: