502,953 active members
6,522 visitors online
Register for free
Login

Thread: V17 users???

Page 1 of 2 12
    Gold Member

V17 users???

I need ehlp from any and all v17 users. I have over 500 .dgn files from very early Bobcad/Cam software, as in way back before windows, that I need to filter through and transfer from a cd to my v17. I have tried this 3 different times seperated by months at a time and I get the same thing happening. Floating point error, over flow! Is this a bug in 17?

I don't want to have to fix the old pc these drawings are on if I don't have to. It is slow....slooow......slloooooooooooow.

Help?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Gold Member
    Mike,
    i'm not familiar with v17. Do you have access to something like SolidWorks. It's very powerfullon importing dgn's....
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Registered
    what op sys are you running ????? is it the same as your old puter????

i have probs with some of the older stuff not running or reading in xp one solution i found was a fix on xp http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767

not sure if this will help but anything poss. i guess hard to think at 2 a.m.
    headed out of town for weekend but will see if i can access puter at friends house

Gold Member
    Hi Klox.

Nope on the Solidworks. I have Rhino but it does not import .dgn files

Strat you may well have hit on the problem. The old pc uses Bobcad dos version. I did kinda find a work around though. I also had saved all my .tap files so I have backplotted the corresponding tap file saved it as a .cad file and can work on it from there.

Thanks for the help'

Mike

Gold Member
    Mike how many files you want to import? Can you zip and post one or two, so that i can try importing them into SW, exporting to BobWIRE/BobCAD, save it as dxf's and cad's and return them to you....
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Registered

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by turmite
    I have over 500 .dgn files from very early Bobcad/Cam software, as in way back before windows, that I need to filter through and transfer from a cd to my v17.
    Vector Cad supports the DOS Bobcad 12, both DGN and ASC file formats. You could download the 30 day demo and see if it will convert to something that Bob17 understands.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

I think old Bobcad's dgn file type was totally its own. There is no cross compatability with other softwares. Your best bet might be to export from old Bobcad in dxf, into newer Bobcad, then save it.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Try one of these in this zip file. Saved in Vector 10 today. If you have an old version of Auscad, it will also open DOS bobcad .dgn files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Member
    Hey guys thanks for all the help. I actually got my old pc running again and will start making dxf conversions next week. Once those are done I'll start the transfer.

Klox there are something over 600 programs. Needless to say it is not a task I am looking forward to. I will wait to see if this pc works long enough before doing any zipping. I don't mind showing the files or anything it's just the time thing right now.

huflung thanks for the info about the file type. I can't believe that they put the option in 17 to open .dgn files if it won't open them.........well it will open them temporarily. It just shuts down after opening the drawing!

Fred thanks for the offer and would have taken you up on the offer. If this old pc gives it up before I get done I may still take you up!

Mike

Version 18 still could import Bobcad dgn files, so I'm guessing that version 17 could have, too.

I think you've got a case of "Bobcobbelitus", which occurs when the program keeps crapping out because of a bad file save in your temp folder. Clean out your temp folder and try it again.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gold Member
    Hu are you talking abaout a temp folder in Bobcad? If so I am gonna need some help finding it. I keep my system temp files cleaned on a regular basis.

Mike

Registered

Lightbulb Bobcad probs

Hi
    With bob-cad v.17 or 18 and if you are using win.98 you will need to download the 98 patch from bobcad website. It is not the temp files you need to cleanup it’s the windows registry file. That is where bobcad stores its default boo boo’s if too many are created it will bomb out frequently. If you are not familiar with editing your registry DON’T. I have a utility program that will clean up V17 & V18 registry, I cannot post it here but email me and I will send it to you. A very important issue that you need to due in order to keep this issue to a minimum is when you want to exit bobcad close the drawing file first before closing the main program, when you shut down bobcad you should see a blank bobcad screen. I also have V#17 and all 4 training CD’s + all training documents for sale…. I am using V18 now…. I hope this helps

Acinch
    Another Certified BobCAD Programmer

Page 1 of 2 12