585,931 active members*
5,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Square steel tube

I have a quick question..

When it comes to using square steel tube for construction material do most people go with cold rolled or hot rolled square steel tube? Wondering which is better..

Pretty sure the steel tube I used on my first build was cold rolled but could be wrong..

guessing Ger might (hopefully) chime in and perhaps even recomend a local supplier (we live in the same area sorta).

I have to look around but metal super market (one option near me) does not seem to have very thick walled square tube (like 2x2" stuff) listed..

Thanks..

Most steel tubing is "cold formed" meaning that it's rolled into a tube from flat sheet and welded in a "cold" condition. The thinner varieties (<1/4") will usually be rolled from "cold rolled" sheet and thicker (>3/8") stuff will be from hot roll. But there isn't really much difference. And there is no standard form, different mills use different stock and your steel supplier probably won't know or care if it's hot or cold. My advice is: don't worry about it because it makes little difference in performance.

cold or hot like fortyonethirty said no big deal. Cold does clean up easier tho .Most of what we use is hot rolled. What part of the woods are you in ? I am in Clarkston during working hours. Alro and contractors steel are the ones we buy from . pontiac steel is great for small orders Griffen steel for sheet goods under half in. thick

I don't know much about steel, but there's a new Speedy Metals in Fraser.
    http://www.speedymetals.com/t-contact.aspx
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'm in Commerce & work around farmington.. Guessing the stock I used to build my first machine was hot given it's wall thickness (some parts are 1/4" thick or more)

Thanks for the different suggestions for material. I've got a metal supermarket location near by but don't think they have the best prices over all. I know about the new speedy metals as well although on the other side of town from me..

Still in the "collect material" stage of my machine 2 build.. Still debating on how big I want to make the machine. Split between making a replacement for my machine 1 (size wise) or making a bit bigger machine which would also need to be even heavier.

Thanks for the responces.

b.

Re: Square steel tube

Anyone have an ingenious way to bend square tubing? I am thinking, make a pattern out of wood, capture the tubing, heat and bend around the cut out pattern. This is a home project and I am no expert in the field. I need to bend several pieces and have them all end up the same length also. Basically two 90 deg bends on both ends. The bend can be a 6" radius. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dear All,
    Is there any professional fasteners forum in the U.S.A? thank you!

Anybody know anything about welding duplex stainless? Pulse arc gmaw? 3G, root, hot, and fillers up and cap down hill on 1/2 " plate

Hi everyone,
    I have some queries regard to ECT for weld which is stainless steel material.
    1. Can we do ECT on weld which is stainless steel material? if Yes can you please show me some instruction for calibration or any required special equipments?
    2. Can we do ECT on welds which have galvanised coating on the surface? I experience some weld with galvanised coating on the surface then it changed the lift off signal that is no longer same phase with prior calibration on 1.0mm EDM slot block.
    I appreciate for any advices posted up here.
    Thanks

Nitronic 50 looks best, but it doesn't weld, is that right?

What are the yield values ?

My dad installed a flex connector from stove to gas valve. He used the 1/2 mip flare adapters. Being very old with bad eyesight, Im hoping he didnt make a mistake by installing the adapters in the wrong direction.

Is it possible to screw the mip flare end of those adapters into the female threads of the appliance or the shutoff valve??

Would the female flare end of the flex connector attach to the tapered side of an adapter?