584,850 active members*
4,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > responsibility in case of explosion
Page 3 of 3 123
    ...lol I build a gun, sell it to you... you misfire it and hurt yourself or someone else and blame it on me...then sue me for liability lol
    com'on folks...common sense.
    If I were a lawyer and you come to me for consultation, I'd laugh and tell you to leave my office..lol

This is why people shouldn't play with toys that they dont understand the consequences of the "what ifs"

And speaking of which, if a turbine engine blowup, most likely it never started to begin with. Why are some of you guys fighting over this petty argument ? lol

Thanks for a good laugh, all.
    Live life like you never see another day

Laugh if you want to, but here are a few guidelines for model turbine use here in Aus, I'm fairly confident there would be similiar rules in the US.

Home Built Turbines:
    (a) All home built turbines must comply with the MAAA Gas Turbine rules herein.

(b) Home built turbine wheels machined from solid stock / billet of no more than 66mm diameter (i.e. not commercially cast) are to be limited to a maximum 105,000 operating RPM and a maximum operating temperature of 620 Degrees Celsius. These parameters must be capable of being demonstrated during the inspection process.

(c) If home built turbine wheels machined from solid stock / billet of more than 66mm diameter (i.e. not commercially cast) are proposed to be used then the MAAA Gas Turbine Subcommittee must be contacted for guidance prior to permit certification.

(d) In the case where "machined from solid turbine wheels" are being utilised, details of the material used must be provided to the MAAA GT Inspector at the time of inspection.

(e) Where Commercial cast turbine wheels are used, they must be operated within the manufacturers specifications for operating RPM and temperatures.

(f) For home built turbines that are utilising commercial turbine wheels, the operator is required to provide a copy of the manufacturers specification sheet that was supplied with the wheel which outlines the material specification, RPM rating and manufacturing standard (ISO / MAR Certification) for the particular wheel or manufacturing batch.

It goes on but you get the idea, so if you decided to get yourself a jet turbine from somewhere, take it to the field, blow it up somehow (operator error or otherwise) and take someone's eye out (or worse) I'm sure the ensuing legal catfight would start with working out exactly what was (not) done to the governing rules.

I guess if you think the fallout from such an occurence is petty and funny, then this says more about you than CNC Wanna Bee's original concern.

_

With that much concern for the public, why dont you just stick with motors turbine lol

I got another example...its quite simple too. You do drive, dont you ? Say you crash your car on the freeway today on the way home from work, and the debris/fall out injure other cars. So are you going to go and sue your car manufacturer ?

lol
    M*rons
    Live life like you never see another day

Quote Originally Posted by Cnc Wana bee View Post
    Hi,lets say i want to sell my own JetEngine(not really:P )
    and some one truns it one and it explodes,can they sue me?
    after it tested it..
    HMMMMMMM Well lets we we got a screwed up judge in New Jersy that is still trying to sue some poor slob of a cleaners for 54million dollars for losing a pair of pants. After a court all ready told him he was nuts. As screwed up as the legal system is in this country I would not have a rummage sale with out the advice of a good liability lawyer

NUFF SAID
    Bluesman
    Shakespeer said it best "Kill all the lawyers"

How much money do you have?

If you have enough money, power, or connections you can do just about anything; particularly in these days. If you have none of the above you had better be sure you know what you are doing, and not rely on legal tricks.
    If you have "Lawyers, Guns, and Money", then you can pretty much guarantee that you can succeed in protecting yourself, or being successful in going after another. Another consideration is money and time; are you so big and powerful that you can afford to hire a lawyer and possibly spend months, or years, of lost work, and money? Can you spend almost every waking moment going through banker’s boxes of documents and sitting through depositions? Even if you are successful in winning you can still end up broke, and even if you win court costs and legal fees, would it get you out from under the overpass you are now living under? Your success in protecting yourself from having the “veil” succeed in protecting your assets, will be great conversation while in the line to pick up your food stamps.
    All the so-called success of protection by being in any particular state, or judicial system will fail, if you run up against the wrong entity. Part of the dilemma of state of residence protection is simply to engage in interstate commerce. Make your gadget and sell it to someone in another state, and the suit can be placed in a federal court, thus rendering your residence problematic. Placing you assets in someone else’s name may work, but it may not; again it comes back to intent, and who you are dealing with; the simple fact that you can do it does not offer protection. Depending on doing the same thing as a large corporation may not work, because you are not a large corporation; if that was the case, then incorporating in Nevada or Delaware would be done by everyone.
    I know all this because it happened to me. I did not end up on food stamps or welfare, but I did go bankrupt, lost a business that made $400K/year gross profit, and had to sell my home; and I won!
    I’m now 65, and it took ten years to restore my life back to where I was when I started; and that does not include the five years for the suit. Believe me there is no smug self satisfaction in having beaten anyone, or having been successful in any legal maneuvers. If I had it to do over, I wouldn’t; it takes a tremendous mental and physical strain on you, and it does not go away. After twenty years, I can still bring it all back. Believe me, it is not just going in front of a judge and having him or her hand down a ruling, as in “Judge Judy”.
    I don’t care if anyone else comments on how easy it was, or what a great success they had, or “I know a guy, who knows a guy” stories; be cautious about how you approach this stuff, and get good, real legal advise up front.

Having given you my tale of woe; please don’t give up on ideas to make a living, or have fun. I still make and sell my products, and have a great time doing it.

Ok, this is my first post, but after reading the threads, I felt I should clarify some things.

1. McDonalds - A little behind the scenes info that most don't know. There is an industry standard as to the average temperature coffe should be served. Also McDonalds had been warned many times before by food inspectors that their coffe systems were keeping the coffee to hot. (they ignored the warnings). This is why the lady won in court. (I have a attorney friend who told me the complete story)

2. Veil of incorporation. Many people believe that by incorporating, you remove yourself from any legal responibilty. If you are a sole member of a corporation, and it can be shown in court that you designed, built and sold a product then the corporate veil can easly be broken. Please, Please, Please do not assume that you can't be touched if you incorporate.

3. If you build a project, make sure that there aren't any federal, state, etc. guidlines that you should follow.

4. Get plenty of liability insurance

5. Warning labels, warning labels, warning lables. Put them all over the place.

McD's coffee suit a travesty of justice.

There's actually an ANSI standard for how hot coffee should be when served, it's 195 degrees. McDonald's coffee was 10 degree cooler than that. That they lost the suit was a travesty of justice.

Page 3 of 3 123